The Goddess

“Your abiding adoration will bless you with fertility,” she said.

“Yes, Mama.”

“Remember, gather fresh flowers into dainty vases even when money is sparse during your marriage allowing its beauty to enhance the devotion.”

“Yes, Mama.”

“And, always scrub the toilet every morning. I recommend six o’clock, but whatever works best for you.”

“Yes, Mama,” she said, sighing.

“Your grandmother would be so pleased, as I, to see those framed photographs honoring our family members and friends on your windowsill.”

“I did that just for you, Mama.”

“Last thing.”

“Yes, Mama?”

“Believe that the toilet goddess answers all your prayers!”

::: ::: :::

Inspiration to keep a tidy toilet originated from blogger Milu, from Milu’s Dream Traveler, where I first learned about the Toire no Kami-sama – Goddess in the Toilet. Funny. Also, my daddy believed that bathrooms in eating establishments gave good indicators of the kitchen facilities. That is, dirty toilet areas equal the same kitchen quality. I guess he could be right…oh, yummy, let’s eat!

😛

Weekly photo prompt and 100-word stories right here at Friday Fictioneers! Join the fun starting on Wednesday.

Photo source: Janet Webb

=================

33 thoughts on “The Goddess

• Sun says:

guess it’s never too early to start training youngsters to keep a tidy toilet area. and yes, the daughter is about done with mama’s constant reminders…thanks, Ali!

1. Amy Reese says:

It’s true that when I go to a restaurant and the bathroom isn’t clean, it makes me have less of an appetite and feel slightly uneasy! I once saw a roach in the restaurant bathroom. Yuck! Good thing it was after the meal. Really funny and original story.

• Sun says:

oh, Amy, to see roaches anywhere…eww! it must be difficult to keep those pests from multiplying especially in food establishments but you’re right, it’s hard to think of going back for more. thanks for sharing. 🙂

• Sun says:

your comment gave me a chuckle, Patrick…let’s hope the daughter follows mama’s advice. a tidy bowl, always a good thing. 🙂 thanks!

2. Sarah Ann says:

Oh dear, all that advice. I like the barbed, ” I recommend six o’clock, but whatever works best for you.’ The poor girl sounds worn out with Mama’s suggestions. Great original take on the prompt 🙂

• Sun says:

Sarah, some mothers i fear have a hard time letting go of their adult children and feel the need to give lots and lots of advice…i wonder if this daughter will continue the cycle with her own children in the future. thanks for sharing!! 🙂

3. rommel says:

This made me laugh hysterically. Then I got to your reference for milu … I laughed even more. It’s funny because I remembered milu’s story. And how you incorporated it even after all these days is even funnier. Nice to back. Thanks for the smiles and laughter. 😀 🙂

• Sun says:

hey Rommel! okay now you can see how Milu’s toilet goddess story really stuck to my brain…he’s such a story teller. ha-ha! 😛 thanks for sharing!!

4. patriciaruthsusan says:

Sun, The third piece of advice was hilarious coming after the first two. 😀 If Mom moves in with them some day, the helpful info could continue on a daily basis. Wouldn’t that be fun. Well written. 🙂 —Susan

• Sun says:

uh, the daughter, i believe, Susan, hopes mama never moves into her space but that would be a fun way to spice up a story. great idea! thanks!!

5. Angelia Sims says:

I really didn’t know I was supposed to be praying to the toilet gods! No wonder!! LOL. Great job with the story. I like the photo too. We have those block glass windows in our house. 🙂

• Sun says:

those block glass windows are classy…always love to see them 🙂 so now you know, Angelia…you can multitask by praying while eliminating. ha-ha!! happy weekend! 🙂