The Cure

“Yes!” I said excitedly gently nudging Brad, my research partner of twelve years, as he tinkered over the laptop keys.

“One year remission and the big breakthrough we’ve been hoping for, right? Hey, what the hell, Brad? Why did you delete all our research notes? Have you gone insane? You know my . . .”

Brad cut me off mid-sentence. “You don’t understand all the ramifications if we disclose our findings. The government must never know we have the cure!”

Tears blurred my vision.

“Don’t worry,” Brad said. “Your brother will still get his daily gelatinous salve treatments but without government subsidies.”

::: ::: :::

Friday Fictioneers, the weekly photo prompt challenge to write a one hundred word story hosted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields.

Photo source: Madison Woods

Links:

—————————–

30 thoughts on “The Cure

1. Nan Falkner says:

Dear Sun, This is a very interesting take on the picture prompt. For years, all the conspiracy theorists have suggested that a cure for cancer had already been found. I doubt this because anyone would want to be the hero who found the cure for the dreaded “C” disease. Good story Sun! Nan 🙂

• Sun says:

interesting to read some of those conspiracy stories on the suspected cancer cure – how some feel it’s kept hushed up because it is now such a huge money maker for so many in the business. i hope the rumors are all false…terrible trick to play on the world. thanks for adding a great comment to the mix, Nan. Happy Labor Day!

2. draliman says:

Ooh, a mystery unfolding. I wonder what the ramifications would be, that the government might take a “special” interest in their findings? At least her brother will still get the treatments. Great story!
    (Not sure I’d want that icky stuff smeared on me, mind!)

• Sun says:

Ali, with one of your character tasting the goo and here another gets slathered for a cure…yep, we can say it has been a fun week at Friday Fictioneers. 😛

• Sun says:

Randy, no hidden layers in the story…just simply the gooey ideas that fell to the page while interpreting the oh, so lovely photograph. 😛 appreciate the inquiry on the Cure. 🙂

• Sun says:

…and lots of gooey stuff in your well selected photograph this week, Rochelle. thanks for the delightful comment and happy you had a safe vacation and return home. 🙂

• Sun says:

it always comes down to $$$…you are so right! congratulations on your photo winning contest, LB! there is no doubt now that you’re the cutest kitty around! ☼hugs!

Liked by 1 person

3. Sarah Ann says:

I worry that the government shouldn’t be allowed to know. What’s in that ‘gelatinous salve’? But good to know the brother will get what he needs.

• Sun says:

Sarah, it’s a mystery…with the government taken out of the picture and the ingredients in that gelatinous salve remaining, unfortunately, a secret between the two lab partners. thanks for supporting the brother’s secret cure.

• Sun says:

thank you so much, Rommel! it was fun visiting all your featured bloggers that must have taken you some time to compile for your 300th post. awesome, my friend! i’m so happy!! 🙂 thanks!!