Special Mission

“It’s the best time to witness His presence,” said the charismatic pastor arranging a Saturday, impromptu, start at sunrise, youth hike.

While parents fussed over backpack content and untied shoelaces, a dozen children anticipated wildly for the pastor to jumpstart the evanescent adventure ahead of them.

Yes, God. I understand, the pastor silently whispered. You need me to prepare these chosen little ones for your special mission.

“Parents, trust me,“ the pastor continued, “Enjoy your bible fellowship and let’s meet back at the picnic area around noon.”

Three years . . . The search continues daily for our missing children.

::: ::: :::

Inspiration: Friday Fictioneers with Rochelle Wisoff-Fields.

The challenge is to write a 100 word story that includes a beginning, middle and end based on a weekly photo prompt.

Link up your post then sit back and enjoy the variety of stories from this fabulous writing community.

🙂

Photo copyright: Erin Leary Writes

———————————-

51 thoughts on “Special Mission

1. elappleby says:

At first I thought it was a very religious piece and was going to end with them all singing “jesus wants me for a sunbeam”, but wow what a twist! (Maybe he really did want them for a sunbeam, which would explain their disappearance 🙂 )

• Sun says:

funny how you start to write in one direction and as time goes on it becomes something so different. 🙂
      – i like that: Jesus wants them for a sunbeam . . . yep, that should explain it.

• Sun says:

why thank you so much, LB/Granny. hey, LB, maybe shivering made all the fleas want to find a new home. not that you have any of those pesky critters. 😛

2. Sarah Ann says:

Wow. You pack so much into those 100 words – the detail of checking backpacks and then the punch of the disappearance. Really well crafted!

• Sun says:

i agree with the long planning, Alistair, and it’s interesting to see how some minds, with a religious bent, develop plans so far from proper reality.

3. Sonel says:

The minute someone says : “Trust me”, I start running. LOL!
    Well written as usual Sun. This would make a great novel for sure. 😀 ♥ Hugs ♥

4. rochellewisoff says:

Dear Sun,

This multi-layered story is frightening on so many levels. I expect to see this pastor exposed and these abused kids telling their stories on national television in a few years.
    Well delivered shivers.

shalom,

Rochelle

5. atrm61 says:

The moment I read the Pastor’s whisper about God’s”special mission”, I trembled and you did not disappoint me!Wham came the brutal ending after all the sunny rays of picnic with the Pastor 😀 Loved this Sun! 🙂

6. patriciaruthsusan says:

Sun, The scariest part of this really frightening story is not knowing what happened to all of them. That also makes it very realistic. If I was a parent I’d want to know exactly what the plans were and who was going along to help with all those children. Parents have to be very careful these days. Very well written. —Susan

• Sun says:

you would be the smart parent, Susan, unlike these fictional ones who gave the charming pastor free reign over their precious children. not wise at all . . .

• Sun says:

. . . .and an evil charlatan using divine influences to carry out his dastardly deeds. arrgh! have a wonderful week, Celestine!