Menu Order #17

So, I found some willpower to stop my reading of Stephen King’s book, Under the Dome, and noticed Tanaga, an ancient Filipino poetry form featured at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai.

Jen from Blog It of Lose It, the featured Carpe Diem Ghost-Writer, explains:

“Tanaga has been dying out in its native language, Tagalog… [and] cultural groups encourage Tanagas written in English in an attempt to reach new audiences and keep the form alive.”

It’s always a neat thing to keep a dying art form alive, yes?

The Tanaga, like the English haiku, counts syllables to a four line pattern. That is, four lines with seven syllables in each line, BUT, whoa, wait a second…the Tanaga also holds a rhyming pattern!

Traditionally the rhyming followed the AABB pattern but rules change and you may see a variety of patterns such as, ABAB, ABBA, and AAAB and so on…

Now let me attempt a Tanaga with today’s prompt, Frog, using the AABB rhyme scheme; and of course, I remember seeing live frogs for sale (poor things) in buckets and in fish tanks down in Chinatown.

What else could I think of but…????

frogs, Chinatown, Tanaga,Carpe Diem Haiku Kai, Filipino poetry, writing challenge

Menu Order #17

Unfortunate conditions
for frogs on exhibition –
Destined for the gourmet dish,
Froggy Legs with Jellyfish!

🙂

:::: :::: ::::

Photo Source: Wikimedia Commons| Flickr: Mo Riza

*And is anyone else experiencing the annoying problem of WordPress constantly logging out every few minutes (Session Expired) or is it just me? hmm…. 😐

36 thoughts on “Menu Order #17

1. julespaige says:

Oh, everyone teases that frogs legs taste like chicken… but, well I couldn’t tell you –
    as I just can’t eat ’em. I wasn’t brought up that way.

I’ve got a “Peace Frogs” T-Shirt; with a frog missing a leg and holding a crutch.. the slogan is “Eat more chicken!”

Thanks for stopping by my Kermit story 🙂

• Sun says:

*laughing real hard* over your Peace Frog t-shirt, Jules! aww, now i hope someone does not come up with a t-shirt with a chicken missing a leg, on crutches and saying, “Eat more Frog!” ha-aha!!! 🙂

2. Blog It Or Lose It says:

Unfortunate conditions indeed! 😉
    So glad you stopped reading Stephen King to find the tanaga – and thrilled that you tried it! It really made me smile – and you did it so well!
    All the best —
    jen

• Sun says:

why thank you so much, Jen. i’m a slow reader so to tackle Mr. King’s usually enormous books is quite an undertaking for me. once i get the momentum going though…i’m glued to the book. 😛

3. Sonel says:

Those poor froggies! I would just buy them all and then make the dealer ashamed of selling these poor critters to be eaten and then buy a T-shirt from Jules and make him wear it. 😆

Great Tanaka Sun! I must see if I can get that book and always glad to hear there is another Stephen King fan out there. I love his books and collect them. Saw the first season of Under the Dome and waiting for Season 2. 😀

• Sun says:

Sonel, that’s a good suggestion to buy them all but really, you would have so many frogs on your hands and then those shop owners will only get another, and another, and another fresh shipment!! best not to even venture into Chinatown. 🙂
      i’m so out of it…i didn’t even know there was a first season and an upcoming second season of Under the Dome. ha-ha!! well, i better hurry up and finish the book so i can check it out. 😛

• Sonel says:

yeah, I know. I will be sitting there all day long just to see that they don’t get new frogs. LOL! I don’t think I ever want to go there. They will have me in jail within a few minutes. hahahaha

I can’t wait for the second season. I want to see if I can get the book as well. It’s sometimes nice to read the book and see the movie.

• Sun says:

that’s so hilarious, Sonel! i can imagine you waiting for the the next delivery of frogs…ha-ha!! i got lucky and found the book at the library book sale for only fifty cents and it looked like new! what a deal 🙂 yes, i usually like to read the book before seeing any movie…definitely the best way in my opinion.

• Sonel says:

hahahah! I bet you will enjoy that. LOL!

That was quite a bargain yes. I sometimes find mine at book sales as well. It’s the only one I can afford. LOL!

I love to watch the movie first, then I can associate the characters with the ones in the book. It was fun after seeing Vampire Diaries and then when I read the books, it was way more interesting. 😀

• Sun says:

that’s a great idea about seeing the movie first especially with books with a huge cast – so like Mr. King’s books! i’m going to try that approach from now on, Sonel. lol!

• Sun says:

thanks, Managua! say, what site are you mainly blogging at? i just tried to visit your gunns-cabinfever.pw but not much happening there. 🙂

• Sun says:

the frogs are jumping for joy over your decision, Sylvia. 😛 i appreciate you leaving that peaceful hammock of yours and visiting. 🙂

• Sun says:

…and i bet the gourmet dish at the high scale restaurant is really expensive, Celestine!! good thing i can’t afford to try it. ha-ha!! 😛

• Sun says:

actually, Bjorn, i have tasted fried frog legs once and came to the conclusion that anything deep fried can make anything taste palatable. now rattlesnake…hmm, how interesting… 🙂

• Sun says:

you’re welcome, Gina…always nice to find new writing forms to challenge us. thanks for hopping in to save the frogs. 🙂

• Sun says:

aww, Philmouse, Molly just wanted to make another friend…potential playmate for the summer, perhaps. 🙂
      …delighted you hopped over for a visit

• Sun says:

. . . and another two weeks later . . . you’re welcome, Rommel, and thought you might find the Tanaga poetry form interesting. 🙂