Meltdown

Slipping the car keys quickly into my work pants, I rush over to the crime scene with Detective Bruce.

The prominent lawyer and his wife sat lifeless across from each other; their bloody smirched faces slumped heavily into their fine china dinner plates disturbing the heaping of mashed potatoes and green beans.

“Looks like some romantic candlelight dinner, eh?” Bruce said.Friday Fictioneer, Photo prompt, 100 word fiction

“Yeah, right,” I say, handing him a crumpled note. “Looks like the ol’ Mrs. had enough of hubby’s cheap fragrant candle gifts while his mistress got the expensive cars, the thoroughbred race horses and that racetrack built-in her honor.”

::: ::: :::

Inspiration: Friday Fictioneers with gracious host, Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. The challenge is to write a 100-word story from the photo prompt and share your story with this wonderful writing group community.

This week’s photo credit: Renee Heath.

============

26 thoughts on “Meltdown

1. ahtdoucette says:

So visceral and yet fun at the same time and a really good, self-contained story. I also got this murder, dead body vibe off the picture too, not sure why.

• Sun says:

Anne, i think the murder idea must come from the melting wax that’s making a big mess in the photo 🙂 that’s my thought anyway. thanks!

• Sun says:

some relationships have so much drama, Milu. guess we can say thank you to them for such good entertainment. ha-ha!! 😛

• Sun says:

seems like some characters have a mind of their own, Celestine. 🙂 oh, well is right. have a happy writer’s week!

2. draliman says:

Murder suicide – not a very dignified way to go, though, face-down in the mashed potatoes! I wonder if the mistress will care or if she’ll just move onto the next rich chap?

3. rochellewisoff says:

Dear Sun,

It does seem a bit counterproductive for the wife to kill herself. But then there’s nothing rational about murder/suicide is there? The image of their faces submerged in mashed potatoes made me chuckle. (sick me 😉 )

Shalom,

Rochelle

• Sun says:

either way, Rochelle, those jealous meltdown situations never come to any good anyway. thanks for tolerating the messy mashed potatoes scene. 😆

4. patriciaruthsusan says:

Sun, Good story with a slight touch of humor. I agree with Bjorn that a prenup and divorce would have been better and with Al that is wasn’t a very dignified way to go. That woman meant business. He might have driven her insane. 😦 Well written. 🙂

Susan

• Sun says:

great insights, Susan. yes, a pre-nup, had this character thought of it before the marriage, would have been the ideal, then the divorce, but then again…it’s a crazy love gone bad i fear.
      by the way, did i miss your link up this week? i tried your FF link but the page was not available. well, have a wonderful week! 🙂

5. sustainabilitea says:

Even the best candle wouldn’t compare to what the mistress was getting. I think I’d have gotten rid of them both and scooped the loot for myself. I admit to a bit of a chuckle over the potatoes and beans as well, although I don’t imagine them as part of a romantic dinner; tasty, but not romantic.

janet

• Sun says:

*laughing* it must have been the Mrs. unromantic dinners that drove her hubby over to more luscious pastures 😛 right on, Janet!

• Sun says:

oh, i’m happy to get a chuckle, Alicia. yeah, she should have let him finish his last meal at least. 😛 ha-ha!!

6. Sonel says:

As usual you intrigued me Sun! Stupid woman! I would have sued him for everything he had and take the mistress’ stuff as well. 😛
    Well written hon! 😀