One Take, That’s All…

It’s three a.m.. I inhale deeply on my last menthol cigarette, god…I really need to get some sleep, but my cell phone rings interrupting my languid brain attempting to entice me away from this recording studio and into my bed.

“Yea, what’s up?” I ask, and then listen as a hyped-up client says he’s at a club…can I cut a demo with some guy named Israel.

I pause to think. Hmm, fresh talent. But, I’m tired…

“I’ll record tomorrow,” I offer.

“No! Israel just needs a moment – no regrets!”

Before dawn, the impromptu session produces a classic hit song.

::: ::: :::

Inspiration for this story came from this classic song, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, performed by the late Hawaiian singer, Israel Kamakawiwo’ole or, “Bruddah Iz”. He passed away from heart failure in 1997 at the age of 37.

And, many thanks to Rochelle Wisoff-Fields, hostess of the weekly writing challenge: Friday Fictioneers! Join in by writing a one hundred word story that has a beginning, middle and end.

THE KEY: MAKE. EVERY. WORD. COUNT.

Photo source: Bjorn Brudberg

================

54 thoughts on “One Take, That’s All…

• Sun says:

a very, very big person, Milu and yes, his voice did not match his size. they say he was very soft-spoken and gentle. thanks for sharing.

• Sun says:

hello, Marilyn! you’re welcome and i’m happy to know you now have a connection to this version of the song. wish he was still around too. 😦

1. Sonel says:

I am totally crazy about this song and can listen to it over and over. He was such a beautiful soul with the voice of an angel. Thanks for sharing the video Sun. Lovely post hon. 😀 ♥ Hugs ♥

• Sun says:

aww, you’re welcome, Sonel! so wish we could still have his angelic voice singing more tunes for us. 🙂 and you know i’m smiling… envisioning your Simba dragging his blanket around. so cute!

• Sonel says:

I know the feeling Sun. Sometimes I feel life is unfair. That someone like him had to go so early and there are other jerks on this planet who doesn’t deserve to be here. Tsk!

hahahaha, knew you would. He always makes me laugh as he then looks like a little pony being cooled off. 😆

• Sun says:

so true, Ruth…we never know when an impromptu inspirational moment may become something memorable. thanks for the lovely comment. 🙂

• Sun says:

Janet. as you can see, i’m attempting to catch up with all of you FF writers. thanks for singing in a lovely comment. 🙂

• Sun says:

bet he was happy when the singer turned out to be wonderfully talented too – and thanks for singing in a great comment. 🙂

2. K.Z. says:

it’s such a beautiful song. and it was so great that he decided to go for it. otherwise, the world would’ve missed out on such a talent

• Sun says:

right on, KZ! sometimes you just gotta grab opportunity when it comes…no matter the sacrifice. thanks, and again, congratulations on your new book, 100 Nightmares! awesome!

• Sun says:

it’s funny how we can hear a great song played many times yet never know the artist or band. i guess it happens with more obscure artists. thanks for sharing, Alicia. 🙂

3. aFrankAngle says:

Very fitting because i imagine hit songs have been created in a wide variety of circumstances. Cheers to the IZK version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow …. which is one of my two favorites (the other is by The Piano Guys)

4. Nan Falkner says:

Dear Sun, He had an amazing voice and I love that song. Your story is stellar and I love the combination. Thank you so much for writing about this and including a music video! Nan 🙂

• Sun says:

such a wonderful note, Nan. this photo prompt was quite interesting and a bit tough to write about…but really happy you enjoyed hearing this version of the song.

5. patriciaruthsusan says:

What a great story and one that introduced us to the talented singer of that version of “Over the Rainbow.” He must have been a lovely man to have such a genuine following. I enjoyed the video. Good thing his version, and the film of him singing it, were made before his early, tragic death. Well done. 🙂

• Sun says:

i hear he was very popular in his homeland, Patricia, and his people were naturally very proud to have his songs recognized world wide. i’m happy you found out about this wonderful artist. 🙂

• Sun says:

i love your reflection, Sarah. perhaps it’s a law of attraction…when one is at a low energy level the high energy person becomes like a magnet. 🙂 thanks!

6. philosophermouseofthehedge says:

This was such a terrific version of that song – always enjoy it.
    You set up the heaviness/end of the day tiredness in the story beginning so well – then the gentle song that was well worth getting there to hear.

• Sun says:

maybe a good thing actually, LB. this artist did struggle with many personal hardships so now at least there is peace. 🙂