Justice

Friday Fictioneers, flash fiction, photo prompt
Standing under the presidential inaugural ceremony platform in the courtyard, I watch the volunteers scramble with last-minute decorations. Competing for my attention are desperate street vendors – they call out special deals from their makeshift sidewalk displays – and, the gentle susurration of a wind from gaudy overhanging vinyl fringes.

“Hey, mister,” says a woman holding her artwork. “Wanna buy one?”

Furious, I hand the poor woman some cash. It’s a portrait of my father, our country’s new president, depicted as a saint!

I can’t allow my abusive father, who murdered my sister and bribed the local law, to continue.

::: ::: :::

This weekly event is to challenge yourself to write a one hundred word story that has a beginning, middle and end. Link your story (you can start on Wednesday) to Friday Fictioneers with host, Rochelle Wisof-Offields.

THE KEY: MAKE. EVERY. WORD. COUNT.

Happy Writing! 🙂

Photo credit: Dee from 40Again.com

THE CHALLENGE:

Write a one hundred word story that has a beginning, middle and end. (No one will be ostracized for going a few words over the count.)

THE KEY:

MAKE. EVERY. WORD. COUNT.

51 thoughts on “Justice

1. sustainabilitea says:

No murder here, but coming up soon, methinks. How galling to have someone you hate be in such a position of power.

One small thing:” is desperate street vendors”, needs to be “are…” 🙂

janet

2. Bongo says:

It never ceases to amaze me how much you can do with 100 words. And you left our imaginations to go wild with what might happen next.

• Sun says:

oh, hey, Bongo! with all your adventures i’m thinking your imagination is stupendous! sorry to hear Gizmo forgot to leave…poor Bongo. my sympathies to ya. 🙂

• Sun says:

it’s hard to imagine those who break that sacred bond between parent and child and yes, i agree, Bjorn, it all goes to a higher more deadly level.

3. draliman says:

It’s often the case that the nasty abusers gain power. I hope the son is somewhat careful in his approach to this – sound like daddy has the law in his pocket.
    Great story!

• Sun says:

for the evil character its taken a lifetime to build up his empire but goodness reigns in the end. i appreciate you taking the time to visit, Draliman.

4. rochellewisoff says:

Dear Sun,

I can’t help but wonder how she’s going to stop her abusive father. I suspect she will, though. Great contrasts. I love the wind’s susurration through fringes. I can hear them flapping.

• Sun says:

i’m a firm believer that goodness eventually finds a way to mend injustice, Rochelle. may take a lifetime or two and we may never see it but it happens. happy you liked one of my favorite new words…susurration. such a nice sounding word. 🙂

5. atrm61 says:

Loved the strong word images you created Sun and oh to be in such a position!Poor girl,I feel for her but hopefully ,she will find a way to bring him down and get the public to hang him!Great job again:-)

6. patriciaruthsusan says:

It looks like more than one person may die that afternoon. The father is heavily guarded. It could be the son thinks this is something worth dying for. Good story and well written.

• Sun says:

hello, LB! don’t worry…these are just some made up stories to help keep the mind from going stale. 😛 take care of your little hedgehog and thanks for visiting!

7. Sonel says:

Great story as usual Sun and keeping me on the edge of my seat. 😀
    You are so good at these 100 words stories. It’s amazing!