The Last Scene

friday fictioneers. flash fiction, photo prompt, short story, 100 word fiction

No one noticed the new hire repairing the stage lights – except me. On the ladder, his movements appeared suspicious. With a white baseball cap slung low over his eyes, pudgy fingers rotating out burnt light bulbs, this time I sensed a deleterious moment plunging uninterrupted forward.

“Five minutes, show time…places, everyone,” said the director.

As the stage curtain lifted, the new hire appeared in front of me and with fury in his voice said, “You can‘t leave me, Bitch!”

Then, my ex-lover/manager fled without his cap while the audience applauded the realistic scene. Bleeding, I took my last breath.

::: ::: :::

Inspiration: Friday Fictioneers with host Rochelle Wisoff-Fields

THE CHALLENGE:

Write a one hundred word story that has a beginning, middle and end.

THE KEY:

MAKE. EVERY. WORD. COUNT.

Photo Credit: Kent Bonham

42 thoughts on “The Last Scene

• Sun says:

i agree, the light is scary looking, Milu! perhaps it resembles your character, Konaki Jiji, when demanding for more candy. 😛

1. rochellewisoff says:

Dear Sun,

Looks like he was right about the new hire. I did find the bloody cap confusing. Was that from the MC’s blood spatter?

At any rate you built the tension well.

Shalom,

Rochelle

• Sun says:

thanks, Rochelle. i did edit out the bloody cap after rereading. hopefully it’s less confusing now. i always appreciate your helpful comments. 🙂

• Sun says:

sorry, Frank…teaches me to edit fiercely before sending out a story. i appreciate your patience and again, Happy Anniversary! 🙂

• Sun says:

hello, Alice! hard to say at this time…i love your idea about the light bulb as a weapon. thanks for the thoughts on her last scene. 🙂

• Sun says:

yes, Amy, her intuition was correct…the ex-lover finally succeeded with his death threats towards her.
      thank you. 🙂

2. Hala J. says:

Damn, talk about your scorned ex-lovers! Bet the audience isn’t going to forget that gruesome scene in a hurry either. Wish the MC had broken character and jumped out of the way, she might have been able to save her own life…

• Sun says:

oh, i like your angle, Hala. had the MC acted on her intuition, she may have done just that – save her life. thanks for the idea! 🙂

3. Sarah Ann says:

‘No one noticed except me..’ It’s a pity she wasn’t a bit more curious/ proactive. I wonder what was in the lover’s mind. Revenge is one thing, but he isn’t going to get away with it after waiting to act until curtain up.

4. Björn Rudberg (brudberg) says:

Ah.. new hires with a cap… reminds me of the guy in a cap who stabbed our foreign minister to death in a department store… he was caught eventually.. but with a connection like this he will not b free for long… well written drama.

5. lyssamedana says:

I wonder how long before the audience realised that there wasn’t going to be a curtain call…

I’ve been talking to Thomas Marlowe and we are both missing the Trifecta Challenge. One thing led to another and we have decided to set up Light and Shade Challenge where there are prompts twice every week and a chance to share what inspiration strikes.

We are not trying to be the same as Trifecta. They were awesome and I miss them. We do have some really exciting ideas of our own, though and can’t wait to see what happens. It would be great if you could come and join us and see where this journey takes us. Good writers are always welcome. If you have any questions then get in touch either on the Light and Shade Challenge Blog http://lightandshadechallenge.blogspot.co.uk/ or on the Facebook page. It would be wonderful to hear from you. Lyssa M x

• Sun says:

Hello, Lyssa! first, apologies for the very late reply to your wonderful new adventure. i just checked in on the Friday challenge and will try to jump in…if not this time, sometime in the near future. 🙂 all the best and thank you for the information and to you and Thomas for putting it all together.