Repairing the Elevator

Reluctantly he handed her the repair note. His wife’s jewel-studded manicured nails scratched across his fingers as she snatched the crumpled paper.

“Just what were you thinking? You knew how difficult it was to get the elevator service technician to commit for a repair date!” She continued, “Oh, don’t tell me you’re capable of fixing it. That’s a joke! You can’t even cook dinner or wash the laundry when I tell you!”

“But, Honey, your dinner is ready and laundry done! I didn’t think you would mind if I tried repairing the elevator myself. I’m the landlord after all…”

::: :::: :::

Inspiration: Friday Fictioneers with Rochelle Wisoff-Fields

THE CHALLENGE: Write a one hundred word story that has a beginning, middle and end. No one will be ostracized for going a few words over the count.

THE KEY: MAKE. EVERY. WORD. COUNT.

Genre: Contemporary

Photo Credit: Rochelle Wisoff-Fields

————————————

49 thoughts on “Repairing the Elevator

1. The Good News says:

Nicely done, Sun! We wouldn’t want her to break a nail dialing the phone herself now, would we?

I’ve been too swamped to participate lately, but if I had I would have gone with a story about that remnant of paper, too.

• Sun says:

you are right, Nan…sometimes a solid intervention done with sincere desire to mend a troubled marriage can make all the difference. your comment, so thoughtful. my thanks, Nan.

• Sun says:

such a great comment, Janet…now that’s exactly what this landlord needs to do – stand up for himself! good one, Janet 🙂

2. patriciaruthsusan says:

As I remember, in some of those old sitcoms the wife would fix the dinner, do all the housework, take care of the needs of the children, then perhaps try fixing the washing machine to save money, all while in high heels, a starched apron, manicured nails and every hair in place. 🙂 There was the occasional henpecked husband of course, but that was often the husband of a neighbor. This was well-written and humorous.

3. atrm61 says:

Ha!ha!Such an excellent take on the prompt Sun-loved where it went with the broken elevator!If I were writing this,I would have definitely pushed the wife down that shaft and closed down the elevator forever-what a horrible domineering hussy!But then some people are such gluttons for punishment-bet he likes it this way? 😉

4. Otto von Münchow says:

Great little story with a slap in the face at the end. Poor guy to be married to such a woman! In few words you not only told a little story but painted a lively picture of two persons’ characters.