The Way of St. James

Opening the old latch on the rusty metal Spanish Gate, the pilgrim steps meditatively forward. His own heartbeat thumps in exciting rhythms. So many years in prayer hoping to walk The Way of St. James pilgrimage. Finally, the answered prayer. He imagines the historical footsteps marching along the path. First, the Roman invaders knee-deep in snow, trudge along as commanding leaders, Charlemagne and Napoleon, follow; bringing up their stomping armies from the rear. The bright orange-yellow sunlight obscures the horizon and then, a real voice echoes with surprise into his ears.

HELLO! a guide shouts
in the early morning fog –
thirty holy days

Monte do Viso, Santiago de Compostela, haiku, writing challenge, haibun, pilgrimage

::: ::: :::

Inspiration: Carpe Diem Haiku Kai Special – Pilgrimage to Santiago De Compostela or The Way of St. James.

Photo source: Wikimedia.org

38 thoughts on “The Way of St. James

• Sun says:

i was quite happy to find the image, Sonel. i read your post on the bad weather you had recently. any better now? you got some pretty nice shots of the kids playing in the flooded area. nature. can never tell what it’s gonna do. hope it has cleared up for you. thanks for walking a bit on the St. James path. ☼hugs!

• Sonel says:

No Sun, that was weather in 2010 and I remembered Ed’s challenge when I looked some of my old photo’s I took and decided to post it. The only bad weather I have would be the heat. LOL! I love rain and storms and as you can see, everyone had fun after that flood, except that I didn’t go for that mudbath. hahaha.

• Sun says:

ha-ha…mudbath!! you see, i don’t read so carefully either. okay, 2010 weather. well thank goodness. i bet the heat can get quite intense in your area. since you’re weather is fine, well…have a happy Monday, Sonel!! 😛

• Sonel says:

hahahaha! Don’t worry – it’s a sign of old age I think. I have it as well. LOL!

Yes, thank goodness for that, although I enjoyed taking the photo’s.

Around here we’ve been have quite lovely weather lately. We had awesome rain and so much that our dam is overflowing. They had to open all the sluices yesterday. So, I am not complaining at all.

Have a great day today Sun. 😀 *hugs*

• Sun says:

having lots of rain, although not so much if flooding, is, i would imagine, better than drought season. water, so precious and so needed to live. we have some more snow late this afternoon so i think i’ll stay home. [laughing in my laziness] thanks, Sonel! ♥

• Sun says:

yes, i love being lazy but then, of course, little messages come by like this one:
        “Laziness travels so slowly that poverty soon overtakes him.” Ben Franklin.
        oh, gee whiz. can’t win!?!!!!

• Sonel says:

That’s for lazy people who doesn’t want to do anything and that expect others to their jobs for them. That’s not you. We work hard every day, so some ‘laziness’ now and then are allowed. 😀

• Sun says:

you’re so sweet, Rommel. 🙂 thanks, but you know how i marvel at the way you can put together such great photo-journal type posts…i mean, the way you can remember all the photos from your archive along with the new ones you are taking. i mean that is talent. i forget everything. no memory storage in my brain. 😛 you have a safe trip back and thanks again, Rommel.

• Sun says:

maybe this may help, Milukiriu: inspiration for the haiku comes from Paul Coelho, Brazilian novelist, who wrote on his pilgrimage to the St. James Way. it’s called, The Pilgrimage. here’s a link if you want more info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pilgrimage
      you can also hop over to Carpe Diem for a short synopsis on this virtual trip. i just imagined what this pilgrim may have experienced and wrote the haiku.
      hope that helps and thank you for sharing. have a wonderful week, Milu!