ligo haibun, haiku, winter, awakening,

Awakening

photo source: Ligo Haibun

This old flat never gets above seventy degrees. My living space – an icebox, but not a freezer, thankfully. Nature’s valium – winter. I seek only a quiet warm refuge when temperatures hover at nine degrees steady. My solace betwixt blue and white snowflake flannel sheets and white downy comforter.

marimba alarms
hit snooze button before dawn
late for work again

I crawl out; make coffee and slowly shake off the goose bumps with a quick enclosure into another warm cave, fur-lined hooded jacket, boots, and gloves. Winter’s sedation wearing off. The frigid view outside jostles my acute pain over my relationship with mother.  I call and hear her surprise hello greet me.

at day break
fragile icicles melting
infusing new life

— — —

Inspired by Ligo Haibun Challenge – Image Week – Managua Gunn’s Cabin Fever. Photograph comes from Managua’s first pen pal, Marina – her view from her flat in Kazan, Tatarstan.

In closing, I leave this wonderful quote by Christy Turlington that also reminds me to value each moment…each relationship…

“It is possible to experience an awakening in this life through realizing just how precious each moment, each mental process, and each breath truly is.”

Enjoy a few more on this week’s photo prompt challenge:

♥ Ligo Haibun Challenge – Image Week (humantriumphant.wordpress.com)

♥ Ligo Haibun Challenge~Picture Prompt (paulscribbles.wordpress.com)

26 thoughts on “Awakening

1. Brenda says:

Wonderful, to hear the Sun talk about Winter’s sedation. I feel that sedation, too, a slowing, a lethargy, an almost hibernation coming on where the weight of blankets holds me down. Hot chocolate dulls my brain. Wrapping presents endlessly dulls my senses. Great haiku, the sound of the marimba alarm, the hope in the icicles melting. You are a genius with the senses. Hugs, Brenda

• Sun says:

you described winter’s lethargic days perfect, Brenda. i know the weather change is meant to slow us down, relax…chill out – but so much happens in the winter!! i guess that is why when we really do not take nature’s treatment we get hit with a major winter head cold. ugh.
      thank you kindly – your words are precious to me. a toast to mugs of hot chocolate ☺

2. Nonnie says:

I was just reading some of my past prayers (from my journal) and it touched on being aware of each breath I take. And I’m feeling the chill myself because of two huge windows in my computer/treadmill/scrapbooking room! I hope the warmth of relationships increase for you.

• Sun says:

your Gravatar photo – the cutest, a smile that warms my soul. thank you, Nonnie – and huge windows, great to look at the view outside but as you say, brings in the chilly air in any room. guess the chill makes a good motivational tool to get on the treadmill… ha-ha 😛

3. deannagreensandgardenart says:

Love your words “Nature’s valium – winter.” Did you know that in winter the plants’ roots are growing deep in the soil underneath us in order to bring forth more buds, leaves, flowers, and seeds next year? All the plants’ energy goes to growing roots in the winter. A strong foundation. Our lives cycle like that. Can I share your post on my blog this week?

• Sun says:

wonderful wisdom from nature, Deanna – of course, i never think about plant roots, but as i read this, it makes perfect sense. you being so in touch with gardening shows why you are so successful in this field. thank you for sharing and it would be an honor to be part of your blog.

4. Peripatetic Eric says:

I like how the scene glides from the cozy bed to the cold outside (and inside) and ending with the metaphor of the icicles.

5. Suzanne says:

Wow. That’s an impressive haibun. I love the way you go from the slow, sleepy winter feeling of hibernation to the sudden burst of energy and the clearing of negative energy between you and your mother. The haiku is so simple yet so powerful.

• Sun says:

you brought another angle i did not think about, Suzanne…clearing the negative energy…winter cold can feel like that if we stay shut in too long. thank you so much.

6. Ye Pirate says:

Simply beautiful writing. I am stunned how the writing brings the picture alive. It just feels like that is how it is in the flats. Very personal writing. Such a richly described atmosphere and emotions.