haibun, haiku, ligo haibun, creative writing

Hear To Survive

Early morning street flurry. Rudimentary missionary town, a distant memory on a very different culture. Sunrise strikes up the usual mélange of sounds – an offbeat melodic crescendo rising to a climatic symphony – of a tenacious way of living. Food scarce. Local children, bare-skinned and lethargic. Only the strong heartbeat songs survive here. Daily my family hums to jagged bicycle bells ringing, noisy cart wheels creaking, churlish market vendors all yelling and haggling over money – stay afloat, stay alive!

The music pauses. An accident. A tan-colored, small dog, it’s hunger pains growling louder than its bark, trails a smoky cloud of cooking meat & vegetables. Then a sputtering old motor scooter swerving sends idle bystanders shuffling off to the side – a small whimper.

curiosity –
walks the dog to its demise
dinner bowls over flow
— — —

Inspiration: Ligo Haibun Picture Prompt Challenge. The subject of consuming dog meat as a food source in certain cultures came up in a recent discussion among my friends and me. Some said it is completely wrong, others felt it reasonable under extreme food shortage situations. What do you think?

In any case, please note, mother never (at least to my knowledge) served such a meal; however, once, while living abroad, our pet dog got hit and a family took it off thinking it was a ready-made meal. Thankfully, my father located it before their axe chopped our dog into bite size pieces. The dog survived the accident.

21 thoughts on “Hear To Survive

• Sun says:

Oh, hey, Little Binky thanks and uh, i don’t really want to mention this to you but did you know i read some places eat um, you know, um…cat meat!?! maybe not any more but still – horrors. glad you did not fall off your cat box chair. that would be horrible news.

• Sun says:

thanks for sharing, Aysabaw. i also enjoyed your observation on the Metro – the things we do for a few minutes of attention. 🙂

1. Ye Pirate says:

The way you spun this haibun was just so clever. The prose reads in a subtle way that shows what your question is so well.
    As for your question, in my mind there is not a shadow of a doubt it is reasonable I think.under circumstances I myself have not been involved in.

• Sun says:

both photographs this week – excellent. it was a struggle to choose between the two. big applause again, Pirate. i appreciate your thoughts here and time/effort as host. thanks!

2. rommel says:

Poor dog. They eat dogs in the Philippines. Actually, used to or not much anymore, or else it has to be discreet beause it’s illegal now.
    Love the imagery you painted on that first paragraph.

• Sun says:

shh…we won’t say anything. 🙂 gosh, good to know, Rommel, it is illegal now. but as you say, some must be discreet just to survive – i imagine. that should be okay. children need nourishment so whatever works. thanks for sharing. ♥

3. Peripatetic Eric says:

Written in a way that carried me along for the ride like I was another dog by its side. As for food preferences I think it is a cultural thing and personally in general I try not to judge others cultures from within my own little sphere. 🙂

• Sun says:

i think you are right, Eric – within every culture there must be something that possibly could offend another. non-judgmental attitude – the way to go. 🙂