horizon, photo challenge, country, man-made structures, photography

Weekly Photo Challenge: Horizon

Horizons – where the sky meets the earth. Looking out across an ocean, when you spot the straight horizontal line, or the visible horizon, it really is only about three miles out due to the Earth’s curvature. We see less ocean than perceived. It is too bad. I love the ocean.

Also, I would love to show you an ocean horizon but not today. Instead, we travel inland and of course, I packed a haiku set to take along.

skirting horizon
brobdingnagian oddball
where earth meets the sky

where earth meets sky
iron limbs intimidate
blemish horizon

horizon, photo challenge, country, man-made structures, photography

Are these artificial structures an eyesore or beautiful art filling up the horizons? What do you think?

— — — —

This post is part of the Weekly Photo Challenge: Horizon.

14 thoughts on “Weekly Photo Challenge: Horizon

1. Alison says:

What I think is that you gave me a new way to see them, opened my eyes to different perceptions, of those iron limbs, and other things like that. Thank you!

2. munchow says:

A lovely and different take on this week’s photo challenge. I love the colours and the simple composition. Despite the fact that you made these masts look beautiful in your photo, I think they are an eyesore. Your haikus say it all.

• Sun says:

hideous forms – perhaps one day an artist or group will take on the challenge to create something more soothing to the eyes. thanks Otto! 🙂

• Sun says:

thanks for sharing, Terri! thankfully i do not live near these giants – and you are right, they do make great scenes for picture taking. ☺

• Sun says:

thank you, IT! i just read about you son’s birthday bash – what a beautiful way to celebrate. loved the balloons and cake down at the beach. ☺ give a belated birthday hug to your son for me. (i tried to leave a comment on the post but the box was not available.)

• rommel says:

NO. They are NOT at all eyesores. We have lot of those in the Philippines. We need those poles. When I was a kid and when we go to vacation, while my father drive, I’m in the backseat counting or just looking at poles as it passes by. I’m sure many kids, and adults, still get lost in oblivion because ofelectrical poles. 😀

• Sun says:

i remember now Rommel-the wind power generators you wrote and photographed. those were beautiful. actually, you’re right these giant structures when you look at it from certain angle does capture the imagination. that is a good thing. ♥