Ligo Haibun, haiku, writing,

In Fond Memory : A Ligo Haibun Affair

Greetings and welcome to another Ligo Haibun ChallengeThis week’s writing prompts is two quotations.  I found it easier to include both in my haibun offering today.

“The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough” – Rabindranath Tagore

or,

“The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful” – E.E. Cummings

oil painting on linen, butterfly effect,haibun, haiku,memory

Drawing up October’s calendar page, I step aside, let September pass with no regrets. I walk outside. I shiver to autumn’s preview – chill icy air nips at my exposed skin. I should go back in, get a sweater. A small butterfly lands near my feet. I stand. I hardly breathe. Do butterflies migrate for winter, hibernate or simply lay down to rest – permanently? Last Friday, cold news came. I heard the flight of a special butterfly, a sudden change of plan – time to discover new heights. My friend, he kept in touch with most of his friends. But his weekly phone call, I did not hear. A broken routine. At his grave site, I listened, laughed and cried. Family, friends…sharing – reflections worth counting, genuine, positive and filled with goodness. The special gifts he gave consistently away: live each moment staying in touch with loved ones and carry a smile – always.

in fond memory
to mud pies and innocence
butterfly kisses

::: ::: :::

50 thoughts on “In Fond Memory : A Ligo Haibun Affair

1. yarnspinnerr says:

Butterflies are quite close to vegetable life and as such they change form and spend winters as eggs, moths or pupa (at a material level). loved the haibun such a pertinent query ..
    Mud pies and innocence …….. such a nice haiku.

🙂

2. Penny L Howe says:

Hello Sunshine. Your haibun shines. The words roll off my tongue as I read them, and your haiku is one to encase and put on the wall to remind us of same! Very well written! 🙂

3. freyathewriter says:

This reminds me of something that was said at one of the eulogies at my dad’s funeral over the summer – the speaker said he knew something was wrong when he didn’t receive the daily 5.30am pearl of wisdom text. Life is short, it is a blessing, yet we fail to make the most of every moment. Blessings. A beautiful haibun.

• Sun says:

there, there, Little Binky, no worries – one day i hope for the eternal big reunion where all friends gather and enjoy happiness that never ends. grateful for your soft pawkisses…and clean, not like some dog folks we know. ahem. thanks for sitting in a bit. ♥

4. julespaige says:

Ah, there you’ve got both prompts in this week, as easy as a butterfly landing on a mud-pie!

May the memories of your loved one be for blessings.

Thank you for your kind words on my haibun.

• Sun says:

you bring much joy, Jules – thank you! when a person leaves with goodness attached to their name, the memories truly become a blessing. much love and ☼hugs!

5. rommel says:

Love the “mud pies and innocence” part. Very intriguing and delightful at the same time. Urgh! That a stab at me, Sunshine. I’m guilty too of not contacting loved one at the appropriate time. I wish my parents know how to use internet. 😀

• Sun says:

oh, sorry for the stab, Rommel – staying in touch with friends and loved ones who are not connected with modern technology definitely makes it harder. just having a cell phone to text would solve many of the distant contact problem. once again, thanks for sharing. 🙂

6. Peripatetic Eric says:

Your words really pull me into what you are feeling. And the final line of the haiku carries so much in so few words.