hope, persistence, life, light, inspiration, quotation, Steve Biko

Never Give Up the Light of Hope

Today I spent some time thinking on Steve Biko, a South African freedom fighter, and his words on hope:

“The sense of defeat is what we are fighting against.
People must not give in to the hardship of life.
People must develop hope.”
– Steve Biko (1946-1977)

As I randomly scrolled the Internet, Oprah featured an article written Dr. Robert Leahy How to Overcome Your Feeling of Hopelessness. Dr. Leahy listed the following “litany of thoughts” and wondered how many, if any, did we keep running wild in our minds.

• Why bother? Nothing will work out.
  • I’ll never be happy.
  • My relationship can never get better.
  • I’ll never be able to get what I want.
  • There’s no use in trying.
  • There aren’t any good men (women) left.
  • I’m too old (ugly, poor, boring, damaged, etc.)
  • I can’t compete.
  • I’m cursed. The world is against me.

I found myself saying yes to a few, oh, okay, the whole thing! Thankfully, Mr. Biko’s words inspired me to keep up the good fight and continue to develop hope for others and myself.

Taking what is popular these days, I created a quick photo quote image. I hope you can find some inspiration from it as well.hope, persistence, light, inspiration, life, fight, develop hope

It’s time to throw out the litany of troublesome thoughts,
bury the spirit of defeat
and live in the light of hope!
What do you say?

28 thoughts on “Never Give Up the Light of Hope

1. summerstommy2 says:

We owe it to ourselves to be positive about life and all that we love.
    We influence those around us by our own take on life, if it is always positive then we make our world that bit better for those around us.

• Sun says:

oh, no fish in the ocean – Little Binky, that would be disastrous! okay, we must keep diligent and work on staying hopeful – always! 🙂 if i find a catfish (eww) i will certainly let you have it. 😆
      ☼HUGS and yay for weekends!!!!!

2. Alison says:

To quote Byron Katie: In February 1986 while in a halfway house for women with eating disorders Byron Katie experienced a life-changing realization: “I discovered that when I believed my thoughts, I suffered, but that when I didn’t believe them, I didn’t suffer, and that this is true for every human being. Freedom is as simple as that. I found that suffering is optional. I found a joy within me that has never disappeared, not for a single moment.”
    The only problem any of us have is that we believe such thoughts as you’ve listed above. I’m *finally* (after a lifetime of living out those kinds of thoughts) at the place where I catch them immediately and know they are only thoughts and that I don’t have to believe them. It’s freedom.

• Sun says:

from the quote: “…suffering is optional…” and your words on being able to “…catch [negative thoughts] immediately and know they are only thoughts…” are powerful, Alison. Thanks for sharing a glimpse into Byron Katie’s epiphany and your experience with hope. ☼HUGS!

3. Donkey Whisperer Farm says:

The mind is the battlefield. We get no more or no less than we dream and put one foot in front of the other.

Trust GOD for everything in Jesus Christ name. Life is much easier when we trust GOD and keep our eyes on the future not the past. GOD bless you and your family two and four-legged! Melody

• Sun says:

what wonderful advice you bring, Melody – thank you! yes, Divine trust – so necessary especially when pesky thoughts seek to take over. gonna keep up the fight! abundant blessings to you and loved ones. ☼HUGS!!

4. rommel says:

Ahhh, hope, it’s a tricky thing to have. it’s not always the actuality that counts, a single idea, any idea, can be as real as hard facts. When you hope but life still crushes what you seek, it’s the idea that you kept that hope, a belief or faith, that can weigh truer and stronger than the actual lost.
    I’m so bad at explainig things. I need some mountain dew. Ahihihi 😀 thanks for the mental boost, sunshine.

• Sun says:

i think i get it, Rommel – when we do not compromise whatever we believe to be true in life, that is the real hope we should strive for – especially during the crushing moments. then this real hope strengthens us. NO!! not more Mountain Dew for you… i think it is called sleep. 😆

5. Island Traveler says:

I need to live and breathe this words when things get tough, ““The sense of defeat is what we are fighting against.
    People must not give in to the hardship of life.
    People must develop hope.”
    Have a great week.

• Sun says:

and i believe you do already live and breathe these words, IT – you help bring much hope, to keep going…persist especially in tough times. thanks for the light. ☼hugs

6. Sonel says:

All we need to keep going on Sun. I know this feeling also too well but keep telling myself it doesn’t matter how dark it seems sometimes, we can’t give up because there is a miracle waiting around the corner. 😀 Great post hon. *big hugs*

• Sun says:

Sonel – whenever i hear someone going through rough times, i tell them, start a blog life as it sure helps 🙂 …soon your blog friends will come along to make sure you keep going strong. thanks, your words speak true. ☼hugs!