A Carpe Diem Tan Renga Affair: “cricket silence”

Some trivial information I know you are dying to hear.

First, grasshoppers and locust differ from crickets by the length of their antennae. Crickets have long ones; the other two grow shorter ones.

Second, crickets keep us up at night – chirp, chirping; sleep in the day, while the grasshoppers and locust, by day, help themselves to all the plants in our garden.

With such fun facts, why not a bit of Tan Renga for entertainment. Remember, first comes the original poet, followed by two lines by the next writer – ideally in the 7-7 syllable pattern.

Let’s go make this Tan Renga complete…shall we?

crickets silence
between scraping sounds
autumn begins (Jane Reichhold)

yet – with each passing season
one finds courage in freedom (me)

English: A pet cricket and cricket hous made o...

“Quick, before anyone spots me…escape…freedom…yipee!!”
Photo credit: Wikipedia

Where do you find courage to live a passionate, happy life?

::: ::: ::: :::

If you care to add your creative, two (7-7) lines with Jane Reichhold’s haiku thread, have a visit over at Carpe Diem’s Tan Renga Challenge. You have to August 29th, 11:59 AM (CET)

The crickets will be waiting with open arms. 😆

20 thoughts on “A Carpe Diem Tan Renga Affair: “cricket silence”

Aww, you are the sweetest, Kozo…thanks for the kindness you share so generously. oh! your sons, i bet, would love to have a jar full of pet crickets 😆

1. angelswhisper2011 says:

Good completion of the Tan Renga, Sunshine 🙂 Grasshoppers and crickets are my favorite, but unfortunately we don’t have them around, only sometimes a cricket. Granny loves the chirpy cheep cheep sound, it’s like counting sheep. Happy Pawkisses for the weekend 🙂

What? No big ugly locust over where you live? Little Binky, you must try a locust dinner plate. Rooster and the kitty kats highly recommend the dish. personally i say, EWWW! but i think you would love the crunch, crunch sound when you start chewing…ewwwwwwwwwww! let me find some for you…

2. Angelia Sims says:

Locust creep me out. We have these giant wasp that feed on them. That is pretty wild! I hear crickets are good luck, so I let them go their way. And there is nothing like crispy grass in the hot, hot summer with grasshoppers jumping away at every step.
    Wonderful Tan Renga. 🙂

Angelia, I hope you get a chance to snap a few shots on the giant wasp feeding on locust. Wow! We have so many locust here and the way they jump out at you when you least expect it – eek!
      Thanks for jumping in and sharing. ♥

3. Björn Rudberg (brudberg) says:

A nice completion.. that makes it interesting… the word freedom.. is an interesting one… I wrote a sonnet last week on freedom ,,, it can be so contradicting I think.. and even so it work so well in your haiku…

thank you, Bjorn and the contradiction on the word freedom are well pointed out in your sonnet. as painful sacrifices are sometimes, i think you offered the right solution. i appreciate (very much) your reflections.

i also cherish freedom and hope never to take it for granted – ever. when we have too much freedom it is very easy to be complacent and thoughtless about it. in any case, may your week flow with abundant inspiration 🙂

The courage you gain from your examples are then shared with others. Thank you for your love and generosity with every post you share with us, Island T. I did have a wonderful weekend – thanks. 🙂

4. Sonel says:

Strangely enough I haven’t seen many locusts out here. We have lots of frogs in the garden and used to have black crickets that dug holes in the grass but I left them there because the Hadedas enjoy them very much. Great tribute and post Sunshine. 😀 *hugs*