A Ligo Haibun Affair| Trick Kiss

A kiss is a lovely trick by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous.                               Ingrid Bergman

Overgrown field.  A diverse weed choked tangled abyss. Wild flowers – missing. I suspect they grow in places where their roots roam free. I wonder where summer’s golden flowery beauties, the Black-Eyed Susan, have gone.

Worried, writing fears grow wild. Cripples.

I walk alone. Small rocky path along the fence line. Neighbors – all busy, except one. Solitary horse. Idly stands, eager to greet. His swishing tail seems inefficient as it battles a horse-fly army attack.

Horse flies, knife-ripping bastards. Chew off horseflesh leaving a trail of small bleeding wounds – their victory flag. I hop the fence. Spend time talking and stroking horse’s light brown hide.

Exterminate – a word with historical horrors attached, but today – bring on the massacre.

Wipe out blood draining fears of writing mediocrity.

Horse nuzzle
Take them as surprise kisses
Crutches fall

::: ::: :::

Some days I find writing to be a challenge. Do you have those kind of days? How do you get past it? I have found the art of haibun writing a fun way to get out of the “funky” days. It may be because I know a haiku comes with the package – being haiku obsessed lately. Who knows.  I do know if you seek writing inspiration, you can always find it with Ye Pirate’s Cabin Fever – LĪGO HAIBUN. Visit today and be amazed.

Thanks, as always.

43 thoughts on “A Ligo Haibun Affair| Trick Kiss

1. julespaige says:

A horse nuzzle…a wonderful ‘kiss’ – It has been a very long time since I was up close to a horse.

I am glad others find things I had not intended. The body – almost an ancient statue of sorts… if you squint and fade out the words 🙂

Thanks for your visit. Not sure why you icon goes to a pages that has a warning. I always have to visit through the linky thing in the haibun.

2. philosophermouseofthehedge says:

“I walk alone. Small rocky path along the fence line.” This describes being a writer so well.
    Not much a horse won’t fix – nice he knew you needed him and waited. (giggles…the fly sweeps greatly appreciated no doubt…payment for the encouragement?)

3. deannagreensandgardenart says:

I can so relate to the size of a horse fly as we had at least a dozen of them in the greenhouse yesterday evening while cautiously watering plants and transplanting succulents. Our 85# lab, Midnight runs out of the greenhouse in madness to their buzzing and dive-bombing. I followed a couple of times… Love the haibun and haiku!

oh, dear! horse fly…like miniature attack planes – poor, Midnight! they must have been hungry! 😦
      hope they jet out to another victim. thanks for sharing, Deanna. 🙂

4. Island Traveler says:

Inspiring my friend. On the days I have to challenge myself to write, I read my blogger friends post first and drift with each awesome images. Next thing I know, the keyboard starts making a “click, click, click,” sound.

*palm slap! yes, i will try out your super idea. thanks, Island T., for the inspiring tip. 🙂 (your words: “click, click, click,” made me smile. 🙂 )

5. munchow says:

I like your surprise kiss. And the haibun. Very nice. Don’t we all feel empty once in a while? A good way to get back in flow, is by doing exactly something we know well to do – or just do something, anything, without thinking about the end result. As for horse flies, don’t all creatures have a reason to exist (I nevertheless understand your sentiment)?

That feeling of emptiness you mention, Otto, does come through – subtle and at first, makes one wonder why the out of sort feelings. Your advice to just jump into something, anything, really helps one to get out of the “funk.” As far as the horse fly existence…hmm, I am sure, yes, there must be a good reason. Sucks, though. Just saying…
      I appreciate your excellent tip and visit – thanks! 🙂

6. Sarah Ann says:

Enjoyed this journey and the jumble of emotions expressed from the worry about writing (there’s nothing mediocre about yours) to wanting the horse flies dead.

7. pencil pilot says:

I just _love_ this one Sunshine.I’ve been returning to thoughts of horses lately. Maybe resurrecting my long ago dream to one day own one. Wonderful post! So perfect for this day. thank you~

horses are very therapeutic and calming animals, even if we visit ones that belong to others. cheaper and less work. ha-aha! happy you stopped by and shared a moment here. thanks and ☼hugs!

• pencil pilot says:

Many things popping up in my environment (which isn’t a horse environment 🙂 have been prompting me, gently pushing me in the direction of horses again. I’m looking at becoming a regular “visitor” and volunteer around others’ horses. Even mucking out stalls can be therapeutic in its own way~! 🙂

exciting, Pencil Pilot! everything about horses, poop and all, ha-aha, makes for a wonderful way to spend extra free time. such beautiful creatures. 🙂 happy to hear you have this opportunity. may your weekend be full of fun times.