“Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher.”
I get excited when I spot a bird’s nest…this time, a well-built Northern Mockingbird nest. It looks low enough on the branch to use a one-step stool. Curious, I stand in my best ballerina tiptoe pose and stretch up until my neck muscle quivers under the strain. Oh, darn! The nest is higher than I anticipate. Run back (quick like) to the garage. Aha! I drag out a full size ladder. I carefully unfold the ladder right below the nest. Two parent birds naturally shriek and swoop down close to my head. I think I sense their angry bird lingo. ‘Aaach! Craazy person, aaach…danger, DA-ANGER!’ Why yes, I see the cause for their concern…four speckled blue eggs resting pretty. Daily, I photograph the Precious four babies while dodging the kamikaze dive-bombing parents.
These two birds become my teachers. Learn how to raise your own little ones. Most obvious lesson, teamwork. One goes searching for food, while other parent minds the nest. Any sense of danger brings immediate cry for help. Until the babies fly away, I must learn to be fearless, devoted and teach by example. I see every task builds strong wings of independence and a lasting lifetime impression.
on the empty nest outside
home light shines bright
Written for the Ligo Haibun Challenge.
Enjoy a few more on this week’s quotation prompt challenge: Thank you!!
- Ligo Haibun Challenge – Quotes, Nature and Flowers (thewhyaboutthis.com)
- Ligo Haibun Challenge ~ Nature (yarnspinnerr.wordpress.com)
- Ligo Haibun Challenge: Earth Laughs in Flowers (twoscamps.wordpress.com)
- Ligo Haibun Challenge Nature and Flowers (oberon73.com)
- Ligo Haibun Challenge ~ His Words (readinpleasure.wordpress.com)
- Ligo Haibun Challenge Nature and Flowers (summerstommy.com)
- Ligo Haibun Challenge ~ Wonder (yarnspinnerr.wordpress.com)