Ligo Haibun Special: Nature’s Way Out

My trembling fingers gently clutch the baby bracelet I have hidden in my dress pocket. I decided, despite Fear holding a rapacious death grip on me, my partner and I would see our first baby born, under the honeysuckle bush, in our back yard. I love being outside. Always have. Unfortunately, our home state prohibits home births.  Clutching the bracelet, I let go of Fear. The contractions are getting stronger, and instinctively, the midwife picks up this sudden change. She follows my partner and me out back. Shallow breathing while walking; my water breaks open.

Pain intensifies. I want to push…now. Much too early; keep breathing, midwife says. I look around our small backyard. What a beautiful sunny day. Given the clandestine nature of our meeting, the baby could not pick a better day to arrive than during the merriment and festivities of an Earth Day celebration. I close my eyes to feel deeply each contraction. I listen to birds chirping, a better alternative, instead of the incessant unnatural noises of hospital beeping monitors. When our little baby arrived, caught in the shallow water by its father, we had a good laugh. The baby boy turned out to be a girl!

kiddie swimming pool
birthing center at home
trusting flow of body

::: ::: :::

My offering to the weekly Ligo Haibun.

26 thoughts on “Ligo Haibun Special: Nature’s Way Out

1. lepirategunn says:

Very original piece. And tying the birth to earth day was nice symbolism, and something of a metaphor. There is a lot of beauty in this idea,and your piece is thought-provoking for this.

i’m very appreciative of your review and these Ligo H. challenges, Managua. i’m grateful because of the rich lessons your team brings to those interested in the craft of writing.

i think having too much technology, for example, ultrasound to tell the sex of the baby way in advance, can ruin the surprise at the end of the pregnancy. thank you for sharing, Steph. ♥

2. Penny L Howe says:

How glorious, Sunshine! My second was (unintended, and unanticipated by also natural in delivery), you’ve created a beautiful and original haibun of an amazing special moment in a woman’s life. Nothing is closer to nature than the manner in which this child was delivered into her new world! Cleverly conceived (okay I meant that one, lol) and written. 🙂 xx

/smiling big on your…cleverly conceived!! good one, Penny! oh, you must have been surprised with your second one…actually, as i told Steph in my comment to her, too much pre-natal technology these days really take the surprises out of being pregnant. i’m grateful, always, to read how my stories turn out. thank you!! ♥

3. Kozo Hattori says:

What a lovely birth out in the Sunshine on Earth Day. Funny how laws make Nature illegal. Love the juxtaposition of birds chirping with monitors beeping. {{{hugs}}} Kozo

you said it, Kozo…funny laws to make labor happen only in hospitals. try tell that to the baby in route…”wait baby, not now…get back in…gotta get to that hospital bed!!” ha ha ☺ what i love is others seeing things in your writing that you did not :)…the sound of nature, so wonderful for infant ears. ♥ ☼sunHUGS!!

this was a tough haibun challenge and labor intense… 😆 it makes me very happy you liked it, Otto. thanks for the encouraging push…☺

I’m happy I got some smiles…that is joy! Perhaps if you ever seek a different kind of writing challenge, Marilyn, the Ligo haibun works the imagination – big time! 😊 Just sayin…again, thank you and now you have me smiling!!! ❤

4. LuAnn says:

Beautiful images of a most special time in this young couple’s life, a glorious way to bring a daughter into the world. Well done Sunshine! 🙂

Hi LuAnn! The photographs are part of the Ligo Haibun challenge. If you visit the Ligo link, the collection is there. Beautiful collection. 😀
      This week, each offering needed two photos from the collection (your choice) that somehow meshed together in your haibun. Tough, but fun.😀
      Thank you for your kind words – they lift my spirit. ❤