Damn Disease

Photo Copyright -John Nixon

“You sure, Mr. Flynn? The director said you felt a bit under the weather and I don’t mind standing in.”

“Listen, Kid. All my life I just wanted to make people laugh. Soon I’ll have scores of laughs once this damn disease* turns me into a real human mutant! Come on, there’s my cue,” winked Mr. Flynn to his assistant, “prop me into place. I’ll let you know when this live dummy mannequin is too stiff to work an audience.”

Backstage, the stage director cued for the show to begin and Mr. Flynn, the live mannequin clown, worked his magic.

:::::: ::::::

*damn disease: Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva (FOP)
-Rare disabling genetic disease where bone forms in muscles and other soft tissue areas. It is as if a second skeleton develops over the bones causing a “human mannequin” condition.

There are no none cure yet.

:::::: ::::::

THE CHALLENGE: Friday Fictioneers

Write a one hundred word story that has a beginning, middle and end. (No one will be ostracized for going over or under the word count.)

THE KEY: Make every word count.

THE LIBRARY:

42 thoughts on “Damn Disease

1. angelgal3176 says:

It’s great when someone can show the word that a disease doesn’t mean you have to feel completely at dis-ease with your life – it probably helps the person work through that dis-ease, too! Nicely done.

• angelgal3176 says:

With my recent studies in pursuit of my own personal philosophy and metaphysical subjects, the word dis-ease is often used when it comes to diseases, as there is some dis-ease in the body/mind complex’s vibrations, for whatever reason (not trying to sound judgmental there, as my understanding and view of what & why reaches far beyond the current consciousness’s incarnation) and I quite like how just that small change addresses that issue.

interesting about the body/mind vibrations you mention here. we often use words without thinking deeper about the actual word and meaning. you bring good light. ☼thanks!

• angelgal3176 says:

If you poke around my blog a bit, you’ll find links to The Law of One. Very interesting listen (my friend got it in audio form somewhere, but the website is all of it typed out, I guess it was published in the 80’s), and it’s a lot of what I already believed. The subject of vibrations has come up a lot in my studies. Not a structured line of study, but what I’m drawn to. Interestingly, it all points in about the same direction. I like that!

it must be your calling ☺ i Google searched the Law of One…interesting and deep information. thanks for sharing. btw…you may want to add a Search widget to your page. just thought i let you know. thanks, Allison. ♥

2. 1EarthUnited says:

Nice intriguing plot line and topic, I’m wondering how he’s going to perform. Wow!
    The lady with FOP is amazing, talk about being fully conscious and in the moment, constantly hitting that positive attitude reset button whenever life beats you down. So what do we have to complain about? Awesome post as always Sunshine. ☼

Right on, Maddy: “So what do we have to complain about?”
      NOTHING.
      i read another story about a nineteen year old British girl who loves fashion. she is following her dreams to work in the fashion industry despite having her arms already fused into place. like this positive woman in the video, this girl keeps on being positive. amazing. ♥
      thanks!

3. Sandra says:

A poignant story which highlighted a condition I’d never heard of. It sounds truly dreadful. Well done for bringing some attention to this crippling illness.

4. Kozo Hattori says:

I agree with Maddy–“reach down within myself and press the reset button.”
    Makes sense that Sunshine would highlight this comet for all to see. Thank you so much. {{{hugs}}} Kozo

this woman in the video is awesome. such positive energy and determination to keep up the good fight. let’s keep that reset button close by and encourage one another. thanks, Kozo! ☼sunHUGS!

5. rochellewisoff says:

Dear Sunshine,

The video provided the exclamation point to the story. Both positive outlooks, one fictitious and the other all too real. Well done. Thank you for the education.

Shalom,

Rochelle

6. Island Traveler says:

The human spirit knows no bounds. It seeks to celebrate life and everything good around it. Thanks for sharing her story. very inspiring indeed. Moves our heart to face our trials in life with renewed hope. Take care.