#Prayers For Oklahoma

“I’ve never seen a tornado and I’ve lived in Oklahoma City basically my whole life. It’s not like we’re infested with them on a continual basis. But you learn to live with the warnings. And you learn what to do if one is coming your way. And then you cross your fingers and make the best judgments you can.” –Mick Cornett

On Monday, May 20, 2013, around 2:45 p.m., a massive, mile-long tornado, or twister, made its way through the community of Moore and other parts of Oklahoma City suburbs.

The National Weather Service tagged the tornado as a Category 5, with the five being the most destructive on a scale of zero to five.

This was a big one!

Of course, mass destruction on a large-scale is the result left from such a devastating natural disaster. The heartbreak, however, were the two elementary schools, that succumbed to the almost 210 miles per hour wind speeds. Both schools flattened to the ground as students and teachers tried to take shelter within its walls.

The children sought shelter in the school hallways, unfortunately, seven lost their lives during this raging tornado storm.

{{Note: Both schools lacked safe rooms or tornado shelters.}}

Keep that note in mind because Moore is familiar with strong tornado activity. In fact, recently, in 1999, the residents of Moore suffered through a large tornado. Although the state of Florida has more tornado activity within a year, Oklahoma, according to Wikipedia, has the “highest number of strong tornadoes per unit area.”

Is there a life lesson embedded within this recent disaster?

Common sense says, if an area is prone to strong tornado activity, all the schools in Oklahoma should be properly equipped with on site safe rooms or some type of underground tornado shelters. Right?

According to Albert Ashwood, state emergency director:

“No local laws require emergency shelters in homes, schools or businesses in Moore…” however, Oklahoma State Representative, Mark McBride, brings up a very good point:

“…said the deaths [children] should force an examination of whether schools in Oklahoma should be required to have storm shelters.”

What are your thoughts? Do you think Oklahoma schools should have storm shelters in place, by law?

Would the seven children still be with us had they gone underground to a safe storm shelter?

oklahoma tornado aftermath

♥ May we continue to pray not only for relief and comfort for the people of Oklahoma, but for everyone around the world suffering from tragic natural disasters.

20 thoughts on “#Prayers For Oklahoma

1. Long Life Cats and Dogs says:

So incredibly sad. I cannot believe those schools were not setup for such situations. My prayers and thoughts go out to all so badly affected and, once again, I feel blessed to live in a country where we suffer little in the way of natural disasters.

as I continue to read on the reasons Oklahoma have inadequate shelters, Susan, it seems shelters are both very expensive & sometimes the ground is not suitable enough without major building issues to construct basements etc. guess we keep praying & hoping for solutions.

you say your part of the world is less prone to natural disasters? i better check on your country & pack my bags…ASAP! Lol! thanks!! ❤

2. Kozo Hattori says:

Thoughts and prayers for all beings who are suffering, Sunshine. I’m not sure about what laws to pass. Sometimes mother nature just ignores all preventative actions. The flood safety walls at Fukushima Daifuku are a good example. The were built to code, but the tsunami just went a few feet over the walls. I hope the natural disasters push us to be more empathic and compassionate. {{{hugs}}} Kozo

perhaps you are right, Kozo…maybe natural disasters are ways the Divine reminds us we truly are connected to one another, directly and indirectly. i did not know about the Fukushima Daifuku situation. thanks for sharing. ☺ ☼sunLOVE+HUGS!!

3. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin says:

Just an awful tragedy…but, like your friend satates …nature is so unpredictable and can be so damaging…I’m not sure of the answers…I’ve never been in one…or actually have seen one…so I can only imagine…But, hearing the survivors talk is heart breaking…good post!

it is really hard to comprehend, like you say, Marilyn without actually gone through such devastation. i’m reading there is a whole lot of help, though, pouring in throughout Oklahoma right now. ☺ by people’s abundant kindness, generous giving and lots of smiles, may Oklahoma rise up again. ♥ thanks, Marilyn!

4. Island Traveler says:

It’s scary to know that today we may be laughing without a care in the world , yet tomorrow, wrath of nature can bring us to our knees and be totally helpless. Watching the news breaks my heart. Seeing those children crying and families who will never again see their love ones alive. A tragedy that we all should help as one community. Much as they need our prayers, they need for us to take action and help them rebuild in whatever way we can. Something like this can happen to our very town. We need faith and love more than ever.

the song by Tim Mcgraw: Live Like You Were Dying just came to my mind as i sit here reading your thoughts, IT. it is so true, one minute bliss and the next tragedy. however, love is pouring from all over the world according to the news…goodness still reigns in our world! thank you because you are one who brings goodness to many here in the blog-o-sphere world. ♥ ☼sunHUGS!!

5. munchow says:

Natural disasters are always hard on those who are afflicted. Just now in Norway we have massive flooding in some parts of the country. I definitely feel lucky that I haven’t encounter neither tornadoes nor flooding. I wish all the best for everybody in all areas struck by natural disasters.

thankfully you have been blessed with a good life, Otto…i think flooding/tornadoes/hurricanes would be so terrifying. i am also grateful none has crossed my path. *fingers crossed*
      prayers for your Norway and those suffering through flooding. ♥

6. Arindam says:

Sunshine, I respect every person, who spends some of his/her time thinking about the safety and well being of other people. And this post, just shows your concern for those innocent children whose lives got affected by the tornado. I hope the school authorities are going to give it a thought and work towards making those places secure ones for everybody.

i hope for the children’s safety, proper safe rooms will be built. but as we all know, everything cost so much money but maybe after tragedy, the people will find a way. ♥