It used to be Catholic churches kept the doors unlocked. Anyone wishing to escape their current reality could slip into another space and time simply by retreating into a Catholic church.
Day or night.
Growing up, whenever I escaped into a quiet Catholic church, I would see all kinds of people also coming in for a recharge. For example, I saw older people shuffling in fingering their prayers over rosary beads, young mothers kneeling in prayer at the altar of the Virgin Mother and others, just sitting in peaceful solitude.
While some came in for prayers, others just to rest, some came in to escape uncomfortable weather temperatures outside.
If it was hot outside, being in the cool dim church offered quick relief from the heat. If it was freezing outside, the church gave you warmth both physically and spiritually.
I do not know exactly when most of the Catholic churches in America began to keep their doors locked after normal hours. You would think, however, with all the current problems we face in the world increasing, of all the places, the church doors would be the very place to stay unlocked!
I guess times change and so must people who prefer solving life’s problems from inside a church. “Mass service is over, Lady. Please step outside as the church doors must be locked now,“ says a church caretaker.
* * *
How do you view an escape into a church, even if for a moment?
Useful or not?
* * *
Thank you, and if you are new to blogging, please visit the Daily Post| Weekly Photo Challenge. I hope you find inspiration to create a post on this week’s theme: Escape.
Of course, here are more very good interpretations on Escape! Enjoy ☺
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Escape (trishadm.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Escape (peeksi.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Escape (Ankara) (chrisbreebaart.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Escape (memorycatcher.me)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Escape (ohmsweetohmdotme.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Escape (museandsparrow.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge (Escape) (mrscarmichael.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: A Romantic Escape (bopaula.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Escape (jyhedgehog.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Escape (atthistimeanna.wordpress.com)