Weekly Photo Challenge: Escape

It used to be Catholic churches kept the doors unlocked. Anyone wishing to escape their current reality could slip into another space and time simply by retreating into a Catholic church.

Day or night.

Growing up, whenever I escaped into a quiet Catholic church, I would see all kinds of people also coming in for a recharge. For example, I saw older people shuffling in fingering their prayers over rosary beads, young mothers kneeling in prayer at the altar of the Virgin Mother and others, just sitting in peaceful solitude.

While some came in for prayers, others just to rest, some came in to escape uncomfortable weather temperatures outside.

If it was hot outside, being in the cool dim church offered quick relief from the heat. If it was freezing outside, the church gave you warmth both physically and spiritually.

I do not know exactly when most of the Catholic churches in America began to keep their doors locked after normal hours. You would think, however, with all the current problems we face in the world increasing, of all the places, the church doors would be the very place to stay unlocked!

church escape

“God, Let me in! I need to escape from life...just for a wee moment!

I guess times change and so must people who prefer solving life’s problems from inside a church. “Mass service is over, Lady. Please step outside as the church doors must be locked now, says a church caretaker.

* * *

How do you view an escape into a church, even if for a moment?

Useful or not?

* * *

Thank you, and if you are new to blogging, please visit the Daily Post| Weekly Photo Challenge. I hope you find inspiration to create a post on this week’s theme: Escape.

27 thoughts on “Weekly Photo Challenge: Escape

1. Sonel says:

Lovely photo Sun and yes, it is a pity that things like this had to change because of people who likes to vandalize or steal. We are not church-goers but I used to visit the Catholic church in Kimberley a lot just for the lovely atmosphere, peace and quiet and the beauty there. Lovely post and great entry. 🙂 *hugs*

yea, it is too bad escape places like bars, casinos can afford to stay open 24/7 but not something good like a church. 😦
      your kind words are appreciated. ♥

dealing with vandalism & theft is unfortunate…perhaps communities will find a way to take back their churches and make a revival for staying open. at least during the day. thanks, Cynthia. ♥

2. munchow says:

For me churches are indeed a place for rest and spiritual reconnection, although I don’t believe in the Church per say and I am certainly not a church-goer. But I think it is a pity when churches close, it defies the purpose as far as I see. You have capture a lovely photo for this thoughtful post.

so right, Otto. having a place, like a quiet church setting, can give anyone-religious or not- an oasis. thank you for your kind thoughts. ♥

3. Kozo Hattori says:

I felt some of the deepest peace sitting in a Catholic church in Salamanca, Spain. The power of devotion is a wonderful moisturizer for our heart. It is a shame that churches everywhere are no longer the sanctuaries they used to be. {{{hugs}}} Kozo

wow…to be in a church over in Spain would be moving beyond words, Kozo! i can almost imagine and actually see your words describing the “wonderful moisturizer” soothing hearts…♥ ☼sunHUGS!!

4. angelswhisper2011 says:

Sunshine, I think it can be a relieve just to step inside a church, even if it’s only an escape. It always gives me a complete different feeling. Too bad all our churches aren’t open anymore during daytime, only for certain hours, also because of vandalism.

it is sad and sick at the same time…i mean really, vandalizing a church. gosh. that is why we are in the shape we are in. 😦
      have a sweet weekend…we have 3 days off this week because of Memorial Day. yay!! ☺

5. Island Traveler says:

So much distractions around us we forget the true, peaceful, healing escape that is all there for us all along. When my heart is in pain and soul disturbed, only the church and God gives me an escape that renews my longings.

6. Madhu says:

That’s a great interpretation of escape! Doors to religious places should ideally be open, but the sad reality of our changing world demands it I guess.