Getting the Bounce Back

I love when life hands over a seemingly too simple advice and you think, seriously?

Really?

A few days ago, I asked my hair stylist, an angel from heaven in my opinion, what shampoo product would get out all the mega hairspray, mousse, hair gel and modeling paste from my hair.

Daily, I use so much sprays and goopy hair products that not only my smart self urges me to buy stocks from these hair companies, but my hair itself acts like old residues still heavily coat every strand of my hair even after a good shampoo.

Layers of product gunk=lifeless, heavy and blah hair.

“No matter the cost,” I say, as I bow down to my divine hair stylist begging a solution.

“I need to get the bounce back into my hair! It needs life again!”

“You’ll laugh when I tell you the product,” says the divine hair stylist.

“Laugh? Why, is it from some exotic animal gland or marked with a super exorbitant price tag?”

She lets out a good laugh before her advice pours forth.

“No, you take one tablespoon of baking soda; pour into your favorite shampoo. Shake well before you shampoo your hair. Not only will it remove hair product gunk but your natural hair oils as well. Be sure to condition your after the shampoo to restore hair manageability.”

Is she serious…baking soda?

English: Washing Hair - Oil on canvas - 80 x 6...

Photo credit: Wikipedia

Guess what? As usual, my divine hair stylist was right. I can spray my hair silly with hairspray and still have great bouncy hair after a shampoo!

When you have a hair stylist that forgoes selling you their salon’s expensive hair products and suggests a natural and economic alternative instead, you have to say, wow!

Bless these kindhearted folks and bless you!

* * *

What else is baking soda good for?

* * *

30 thoughts on “Getting the Bounce Back

1. Long Life Cats and Dogs says:

I’ve never been one to spray anything on my hair although, if I ever choose to, at least I now know how to get rid of it. I’m going to have to buy baking soda due to hubby’s well intended but completely disastrous cooking attempt. I have a blackened pot which I am told might be salvageable with the use of baking soda. Who knows. It’s cheaper than a new pot! Good for your hairstylist. I’d stick with her forever. Anyone who is prepared to help without benefit to themselves is certainly worth keeping around.

hmm…burnt pots/pans are my specialty.i’ll have to try baking soda because you’re right…it would be cheaper to save them if possible!! as for a hair stylist, good ones are indeed hard to come by…☼sunHUGS to you and little Pixels!!

2. Sonel says:

You are surely blessed with a hair stylist like that and thanks for the tip. I have a few packets of baking soda in case I have heartburn and no Rennies nearby and it’s also great as a paste to treat insect bites and itchy skin and it makes a lovely bath soak as well. 🙂 Thanks for sharing and have a great day hon! *hugs*

3. philosophermouseofthehedge says:

WOW what a nice person! (We used to use cold water and vinegar rinse for shine – and smelled like a salad for a few minutes. but cheap) Baking soda has all sorts of uses…wasp/yellow jacket stings, as I recall.

4. Kozo Hattori says:

Baking soda is great to make homemade volcanos that really erupt. Glad your hair fix was so quick and easy. Makes me wonder if expensive hair products are just baking soda and water? haha. {{{hugs]}} Kozo

hahha…i forgot about the science project lava flow with baking soda/vinegar. i bet your sons love making volcanoes flow ☺
      i love pouring the combo down the drain and watch it erupt from it! cheap thrills ♥

5. angelswhisper2011 says:

Great advise of your hairdresser. I use Baking soda for the kitchen. It cleans the vet of the exaust hood and makes everything grease-free, much faster than all the other cleaners; In the washing machine to clean the odors. When you have felon on your vingers and you put your finger in a bath of soda, it purifies the wound. I tried a lot for cleaning, but I always come back to the old house remedies 🙂

i did not know about soda bath for wounds…very interesting. do you make a dilute solution with baking soda for cleaning and does it leave a grindy residue? or do you dissolve it all first? hey, thanks for the great tips, Angels…going to clean the washing machine now!! ☺

• angelswhisper2011 says:

Add one big spoon soda in a bowl of hot water, it will dissolve now, let it cool down a little and hold you finger/hand/foot/toes in it for about 10 minutes. 2 – 3 times a day and the wound will heal very soon. When you have a splinter in your finger, you can do this too, it will grow out of the finger. Foot fungus will disappear too. Have a clean Sunday my friend 🙂

6. Island Traveler says:

Wow! baking soda does do a lot of wonders. It’s amazing that the very things we take for granted sometimes are the ones that feel make us feel and look awesome. Beautiful! Have a wonderful weekend my friend.

IT, maybe you can surprise your wife with some of your baking soda wisdom for her hair…☺
      hope you have some {no work} this weekend!! thanks! ☼sunHUGS!!

7. shazza91321 says:

Sunshine, you can use baking soda, as deodorant , you add a little coconut oil to it so it doesn’t irritate the underarm and you have a healthy way of getting rid of body odor. Blessings

i did know this, Shazza. so, do you just sprinkle a bit of baking soda in coconut oil and rub on? does it stain clothes? the oil? just wondering. sounds great! thanks for the tip!! ☺

• shazza91321 says:

Yes, I try to sometimes if I don’t make my underarm potion I fall back on deodorant but this is how I usually do it. You do have to be careful with clothes and don’t use to much coconut oil. It works very well if you wear a tank top. Health is health and since THEY, are saying the the chemicals in deodorant can contribute to Alzheimer disease…why not? Also, for less messy deodorant sage deodorant which you can get at the health store works good too.

8. Colline says:

What an interesting tip given by your hairdresser – and by those who have commented on your post. I need to remember them as baking soda is a lot healthier for us and the environment than the man-made chemicals.