On National Library Week: Look, Read, Love

What a smart spider to have the desire to read a book! And, what better place to go find a large selection of a variety of books than over at a library.

“The library is the temple of learning, and learning has liberated more people than all the wars in history,” wrote Carl T. Rowan.

As children, my brother and I spent many hours at the library and Desiderius Erasmus is right, “Your library is your paradise.” A paradise you can borrow and take home with you and once you are done, you go get another set of paradise!

Also, my mother must have known Sarah Jessica Parker and listened to her advice: “And if you are a parent, introduce your children to their neighborhood library. It will give them a real sense of independence to have their own library card and enjoy borrowing books.”

Yup, mother and Sarah must have been pals for sure. But wait, not only Sarah, but mother surely had Laura Bush as her Facebook friend! “Libraries allow children to ask questions about the world and find the answers,” says Laura, “And the wonderful thing is that once a child learns to use a library, the doors to learning are always open.”

Being that this week, April 14-20 is National Library Week, I celebrate in thanksgiving for a great mother (plus her gal-pals, Sarah and Laura 😉 ) who inspired the love for the neighborhood libraries.

♥ ♥ ♥

How big is your love for neighborhood libraries?

♥ ♥

© 2013 simply charming

photo source: Wikimedia Common

18 thoughts on “On National Library Week: Look, Read, Love

1. yarnspinnerr says:

You reminded me of my school library and the local british council library and both had a children section. A journey that started with Richmal Crompton’s William Brown and Enid Blyton’s characters. 🙂

2. Sonel says:

Lovely post and I absolutely adore libraries and the smell of books. I would lose myself there completely. 🙂

3. angelswhisper2011 says:

I think I have read all the books in our local library, at least the ones I’m interesting in, so I have to go to the big City to borrow my books. I’m not a member anymore, but when I was I loved to be there. Sometimes when I’m in the vicinity I step inside our library and enjoy the silence 🙂

i do that too, Angelsw. if i visit a town and there is a library, i will go and tour the place. if there is time, i sit and read their magazines! that is good you have more than one library you can visit…a blessing indeed! ♥

4. Kozo says:

I’m right with you, Carl, Sarah, and Laura; I love the library. My sons go there every Monday and Tuesday. AND they just turned the fountains on out front, so it is like a day at the beach as well. Great reminder of what is really important, Sunshine. {{{hugs}}} Kozo

you’re a wonderful parent and i tell you, your sons will remember their library memories when they get older. 🙂
      wow! a water fountain out front…that is a cool library! thanks for sharing how big your love is for libraries! ♥

5. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin says:

I just got my Library Card after many…many… years due to computer going out…
    now, …I have a list of books I’ve started and will be going to find them at our Library…
    there is always a good thing that happens after a bad…
    I am newly introduced to the Library!

i give thumbs up to our wonderful public library system! it is true, Marilyn, when one door closes and we think oh, noooo, somehow a better door opens up. i am so happy for you that you have reestablished your love affair with the library. yeah!! 🙂 happy reading!

6. amira says:

Simply beautiful Sunshine.
    I absolutely love libraries. I can get lost in a library and have care in the world about the time.
    happy reading 🙂