Easy Afternoon Project: Going From Google Reader to feedly

Image representing Google Reader as depicted i...

Having my blog subscriptions organized in Google Reader makes following blog posts very easy. Unfortunately, Google is removing its reader from their system come July 1, 2013 and that means only one thing…move from current space to new spot soon or else.

But, with little time on hand, what are the best alternatives in readers and how easy are the transfers?

Although there seems to be several good alternatives, today I transferred over to the feedly reader, an RSS news reader much like the Google Reader. Not only was the transfer simple but I found a wealth of cool options and an eye appealing overall layout over at feedly.

♥ I believe the feedly reader and I are going to have a beautiful future together.

Now, to transfer from the Google Reader to feedly, I followed the easy instructions for Chrome browser users below. You will need to read Transitioning From Google Reader to Feedly if you are using another browser.

1. Go to www.feedly.com
2. You will land on their home page.
Click, Get feedly on Chrome, free.
3. Next, click connect to Google Reader
4. Click Allow Access
5. Done!

I say, wow! Check out your new reader…what I love so far is the various ways you can highlight your subscriptions.

2013-03-14_Feedly_view

feedly in magazine view format (Photo credit: Paul Jacobson)

I am floating on cloud nine with the magazine layout…what a dreamy way to dig into your favorite blogger’s posts! You have a choice to set your post listings in either the general Google Reader version: Title on View, a no-nonsense layout or more eye appealing versions, the colorful Magazine, Cards or Full Article views.

Hey, but do not take my word for it, go over to feedly and experience the adventure yourself!

What is your favorite RSS reader?

Okay, I must go home to feedly now…

Happy blogging!

Related articles

36 thoughts on “Easy Afternoon Project: Going From Google Reader to feedly

1. Kozo says:

I’m still using the WP reader, but it is giving me some grief. Have no idea what the difference is between all these readers, but I will find out. Any advice is appreciated, Sunshine, so thank you. {{{Hugs}}} Kozo

Kozo, i gave up on WP reader awhile back after discovering Google Reader. now, feedly is much like GR but looks better. (i need to spend more time working from it but so far i am loving it.) what i like in both GR and feedly is you can have all your subscriptions organized by their blog sites. For example, in feedly, if i want to look up your everyday gurus, i just go to the index and find your name, click and it opens all your posts since i subscribed to you. does this make sense?

• Kozo says:

Makes sense. I’m heading there now. Thank you so much for introducing me. I might have some other questions for you, but I promise to pay you back in {{{Hugs}}}. haha.

• Kozo says:

What the? I’m adding sites to my feedly, Sunshine, and it can’t find your site??? I cut and paste seraphim6.me and it says cannot find site. Help. I need you in my must read blog folder.

• 1EarthUnited says:

Necessity is the mother of invention, thx 4 the heads up. My WP reader is working fine with windows and chrome, albeit without all the bells & whistles.
        Feedly sounds like a cool alternative. Thx Sunshine! ☼

you’re welcome, Maddy. actually, since i posted, *laughing* i have been enjoying the WP reader again. sometimes i am so wishy-washy. ha ha. enjoy your weekend! 🙂

2. lingeringvisions says:

This is interesting because I was not aware of a choice. I use the WP reader on chrome but my browser of choice is Firefox. Ever since WP changed their reader a few months ago it has not worked on my desk top on Firefox. Sometimes its all just about too much.

Hey, LV! You might want to try using feedly reader…if you link up with the article in this post, it has instructions for Firefox. I hope you find some help organizing your subscribers. I agree, sometimes it can get quite overwhelming.

you’re welcome, Ellyn. my thanks to you for your time and wow, a blog gift. i’ll be over shortly to read up on it. once again, thank you. ♥

3. Lady Lovely says:

Well, WP reader I find these days doesnt’ give all of my new posts. That’s why I’m always so behing. But, I do find http://www.networkedblogs.com is good. You can also integrate with Twitter and FB. I have it set up via email, so it means if I subscribe to 150 blogs and they all post everyday, I have 150 emails, twitters or Fb updates. I find via it’s relizable, unlike WP reader, but I more care about the emails, then reader not telling me when my blogger friends do a new post on time.

thank you for sharing, Lady Lovely. i did not know about your link, networkedblogs. i will check it out. thank you again for reading and sharing. ☼sunHUGS!

hey, IT! i wish the Google Reader would stick around as i have grown to love it but change must happen. wah! i hope you find some organizational help over at feedly. thanks, IT! ♥