Danced for a Goddess

My upper shoulder pinches. No matter how often I rotate my head around and around to stretch out the pinch–tightness is always there. When I watch dancers perform, specifically, ancient hula dancers, I wonder, do their muscular shoulders ever bother them? I met a male hula dancer once while waiting for the next flight out. His halau, (hula dance school) was going to perform at the prestigious, yearly hula event held on the Big Island of Hawaii, the Merrie Monarch Festival. Hoping to win again, the dancers planned to honor Pele, the Hawaiian goddess of fire and volcanoes. They follow tradition and call for her blessings with prayer chants, ancient hula dances and traditional flower leis held near Pele’s home, the Halema’uma’u volcano crater.

I pause my neck rotations when I read the goddess is Ka wahine ‘ai honua or “earth-eating woman.” Earth-eating sounds like a volatile temper tantrum. If this shoulder pinch fails to vamoose soon, I may follow in Pele’s flow and cause small wailing eruptions.  A few days later, I find Pele favored the male hula dancer’s halau. Top awards, two years in a row.

~and we danced for our Goddess…

Tänzer mit ʻuliʻuli beim Hula kahiko, Merrie M...

Photo Credit: Wikipedia

he was born to dance
each muscle heed his commands
dynamic leader

men hula dancers
trapezius strain unknown
kissed by the goddess

♥ ♥

Short Prose Inspiration:  Līgo Haībun Challenge ~ “And We Danced…”.

♥ Thank you. ♥

©simplycharming2013

27 thoughts on “Danced for a Goddess

1. Long Life Cats and Dogs says:

Now those are some good looking muscles there, that definitely don’t appear to be pinched. Interesting culture lesson there. Thanks. Hope that muscle of yours sorts itself out really soon. I’ve had it before and it’s incredibly annoying.

those are yummy muscles, Susan…i agree totally!! waiting for pinched muscles to work itself out is always easier with perfect visual aid. 😀
      ~thanks, and have a powerful day ♥

2. Kozo says:

Mahalo, Sunshine. Lots of Aloha in this post. I will be on the Big Island in July. Will be sure to pay homage to Pele and the Aina. {{{Hugs}}} Kozo

i think you are right, Phil…reading about the songs these dances develop from show strong link to the land and legend of the culture. i really love the real fern/flowers they use as part of their costumes. ahem, and ah, the nice body costumes… 🙂

will do, Angels…still doing my head rolls and stretching but think i will put my mind on to super auto focus soon and power think it away! maybe dance some hula too…thanks for the advice. ♥

3. kz says:

rawr, lol who doesn’t love men who can dance! i really enjoyed reading this.. but i sure hope your shoulder gets better ^^

4. Why I love smoking... and need to stop says:

If you lie on your back on a hard surface and put a tennis ball under your shoulder and rock back and forth, it might help work out the tension in your muscles. You could also do it by standing against a wall. I’m not a doctor but use this technique after I’ve had a hefty upper body workout. Thanks for the poem! A great way to start the first day of spring!

5. Penny L Howe says:

This is fascinating. What a great way to inform, entertain, and be highly original and creative in the process. Just as your other readers I was fascinated with your story of the male Hula dancer (liked the photo too!) and your haiku. A very nicely done haibun!

6. 1EarthUnited says:

Hi Sunshine, tightness, pinched nerves are a sign of skeletal- muscular imbalance. Try straightening your posture at all times, sitting, standing, stretch while lying down.
    That and sit-ups to tighten the abs does wonders for back alignment. When your back is straight, there’s no pinch nerve pain anywhere. Perfect posture is a big bonus from modeling, they really beat that into you, lol. Be well & pain free! ♥

sit-ups. my lazy self is shivering thinking about it. 🙂 you are right, i need to incorporate sit ups in my core fitness routine. thanks, my fitness coach…you bring the right formula. now, i must do IT!!