Sure It Runs

Friday Fictioneeer

Copyright – Beth Carter

“Darn it, Gregg, why must I, in our garage, have to scale Mount Everest just to get Easter decorations?” cried Alana playfully.

Gregg’s once-prized convertible had become, well, a storage unit/piece of artwork. Alana never demanded he get rid of it– or his girly photo collection. Perhaps there was a mention, years ago, about the girls, but the car served its purpose…like memories of their first date, even Alana giving birth in the backseat. Today, however, it symbolized Gregg’s procrastination. The time had come.

“Don’t worry dear,” chuckled Gregg to Alana, “I made the perfect For Sale sign.”

* * *

THE INSPIRATION|CHALLENGE: Write a one hundred word story that has a beginning, middle and end. (No one will be ostracized for going over or under the word count.)

THE KEY: Make every word count.

Need more information? Please visit host, Rochelle, at the Friday Fictioneers. To enjoy more on this photo prompt, click the smiley face below.

68 thoughts on “Sure It Runs

1. DaydreamsinWonderland says:

Wonderful post, Sunshine. That little blue frog is so cute. I’m glad we’re gonna be using him now.
    P.S. I just realized I called you Gina in my comment reply on my blog. I had to edit that. I’m so sorry! Please forgive me I’m so sleep deprived! lol
    Replying to comments when you’re tired is like drunk dialing or something. I hope you don’t hate me! *huge hugs*

now i am laughing with you, DIW…here i read your note and thought your name was Gina. oh, my…too funny…and your “drunk dialing” is classic! i love your phrase! okay, okay, now that i’m not and you are not Gina, *palm slaps* }}
      happy weekend!! ♥

2. 1EarthUnited says:

Wonderful Sunshine, you’ve captured the entire photo. Although I can’t conceive of anybody conceiving or birthing in the back ?seat? Nicely scripted! ♥

thank you, Maddy…the baby decided to come earlier before they had time to check into the hospital. *laughing*
      i appreciate you taking the time to read and comment.

(love you Blog Naked buttons…just perfect!! ♥)

3. sustainabilitea says:

Giving birth in the backseat of that car would be great birth control for the future!! 🙂 You illustrated that one man’s treasure is another person’s junk, a problem for all of us declutterers.

janet

too funny, Janet…new, cheap birth control–backseat birthing center! love the thought! thanks, needed to read this tonight after a long tiring day. 🙂 feeling better already.

4. annisik51 says:

Gregg has made certain that car will never be sold with that For Sale sign! I am, like Gregg, not a hoarder. We are collectors. One day, I might need those boxes of stones. And those ones aren’t stones anyway, those are volcanic lava bombs. I got those from inside the volcano.

I like your Thomas Merton quote. And as you ask for your grammar to be tweaked, I gently suggest you get rid of the comma after ‘Gregg’. I’d probably add a hyphen between ‘once’ and ‘prized’ and capitalise ‘for sale’, as it’s a title. Please feel free to correct my grammar too! Ann

5. Beth Carter says:

I think we’re all getting attached to this crazy, junky car. Great take on the prompt, and to answer your question on my blog–Yes, it runs! I’ve seen it parked in two or three different locations near a restaurant in Florida. The exterior is almost as interesting as the interior but I wanted to get a photo of the intricate details.

You did a great job of incorporating many features. I love the mention of the ladies’ photos and the for sale sign. Well done.

6. Kozo says:

Great story as usual, Sunshine. The sad part of it is that the photo is real. I bet the story is not too far from reality. Men and their toys. {{{Hugs}}} Kozo

i’m glad you said, “men and their toys.” 🙂 just kidding! it’s a unique car for sure…and according to the photographer, it actually runs! cool, huh?

7. rochellewisoff says:

Dear Sunshine,
    I found it interesting that both of our hoarding husbands were Greg/Gregg. Nice take on the prompt. I would certainly not want to give birth in that car.
    Shalom,
    Rochelle

not the kind of birthing suite one would hope for…but better than the fields, as it used to be for some working moms. so i heard from long ago stories. And to all the Greg/Greggs out there…what’s going on with you guys?!? good thing this is all fiction…right? 🙂

thank you, Rochelle. i appreciate your time, oh busy one.♥

8. rich says:

he did a good thing. well done.

in this line: “Greg’s, once prized …” no comma needed after “greg’s”

here: “Well, perhaps there was a mention…” “Well” and “perhaps” are both intruductory words that suggest a possibility. you really don’t need both. it’s similar to saying, “First, in the beginning…” you could remove one of them. i would remove “well’ because you also used it shortly before that sentence.

9. kz says:

awww a really sweet story… love how he treasured the car coz of the memories.. but it kinda feels good too that he’s decided to move forward