Snow Job

False bouquet of love

Līgo Haībun Challenge: Bouquet|Bouquet of Flowers|Flower
CLICK on photo for more information.

The first real snowstorm all winter and a thick snow blanket sparkles gently over the field. I wonder, how many tempestuous storms have put a dull finish on this wedding ring. Memory clouds over, absent-mindedly, I shift the faded diamond ring upright. Damn, must clean and polish to make it come alive again.There it is. Doorbell sound. Flower girl, Samantha, delivers the “Dance with Me” bouquet of red roses. Nothing changes. First, the phone call…same story. “Must extend for a few more days due to unexpected business deals. Be home soon.” Then, the flowers.

His return home opens air over luggage content as it wreaks stale cheap perfume, cigarette smoke, and Scotch, his favorite. He argues, “I give you flowers, affection…everything.” Yes, I must be doing the crazy wife mistrust paranoia dance. With dinner comes more flowers and wine. “I love you,” he says.

snow screams gray silence
winter storm draw in bare trees
flirting bold posy

30 thoughts on “Snow Job

thanks, Angelswhper…i’m still trying to perfect this Haibun writing technique so no worries about missing the clues. it was probably my poor form that made it hard to detect. basically, the flowers were sent as cover ups for extramarital affairs…a hurtful game the philandering husband can’t resist playing. 😦
      (hi Little Binky!!) 🙂

1. munchow says:

There is so much in between the lines in this beautifully written post. Is it discomfort or is it longing? Flowers are always a nice treat, but do they make good in the end? I love the subtle words. And I love the intense – and not so subtle – photo of the roses.

this really is encouraging, Otto. thank you. as i told Angelswhisper, this Haibun writing technique is quite a challenge so i love getting feedback in order to grow better as a writer. i appreciate your energy of love. ♥ it’s beautiful.

now, i may start to read the haiku first and see the difference it makes. as far as those flowers, hmm, i’m sure the romeo husband will find a way to keep the game flowers looking freshly cut. 🙂
      thanks, Anne. ♥

2. kz says:

snow screams gray silence — what a great line. love your haiku. great story filled with reality. and the photo of course, is wonderful.

3. yebuccaneer says:

The haiku finishing off the text says it all, with dire barreness. If there was any doubt…though it was clear…poor woman, her trust and sincerity dented each time. Very nice.

thank you, YerPirate…so happy you introduced this fascinating writing form. I’ve been visiting the Haibun sites to gain more insight. wonderful reading. 🙂