Big Surprise

Copyright-Claire Fuller

Copyright-Claire Fuller

“Wow, Dad! You carved a beautiful replica of you and mama from that discarded block of stone you found.”

“I sure hope your mama likes her birthday surprise.”

Giggling, “Oh, Dad, she‘s gonna love it! Listen, I think mama just pulled up the driveway. Quick, hide your BIG surprise while I let her in.”

Expecting to help mama with loads of groceries, Sarah, however, found two cops with an old photograph inquiring about a James Davis.

“Daaad! Police are at the door…they insist a photograph is James Davis. I told them, no, that is my father, Mark Fisher.”

“Dad?”

* * *

“Some things are so unexpected that no one is prepared for them.”

~Leo Rosten

Inspiration: Friday Fictioneers

WARNING! This is an addiction for which there is no 12 step recovery program.

THE CHALLENGE: Write a one hundred word story that has a beginning, middle and end. (No one will be ostracized for going over or under the word count.)

THE KEY: Make every word count.

Visit host, rochellewisofffields for more details:  1 February 2013  and click below, blue smiley, to enjoy all the contributors.

58 thoughts on “Big Surprise

1. Island Traveler says:

Exciting story but somehow I felt sad for the little girl. Even in real life, kids had to go through difficult emotions that they shouldn’t be experiencing. Wonderful writing my friend.

i appreciate your thoughts, IT and hopefully going through difficult experiences only serves to make the person stronger and more useful in the eyes of the Divine. {{Hugs to the family!!}}

…let us hope this dad decides to do the right thing…but then, you did see a guy running past you. Doug, you should have tackled him down…collect the reward. ha! snap!!
      mahalo, Doug. 🙂

who knows the past regrets and ghosts we carry after stupid choices made early in life…maybe this dad has been carrying a big load for many years…unfortunately, the innocent must carry some of the load. i appreciate you taking the time to read and kindly commenting, Janet. ❤

2. Cafe says:

Oh, what a challenge! The first I’ve heard of this. I think it would be hard for me to think up something like this in just 100 words, but you did marvellously! 🙂

3. Kozo says:

How can so much darkness come out of so much Sunshine? haha. Love your 100 word masterpieces, Sunshine. You always lull me then slap me with a brick.
    p.s.
    That linky thing is great. Trying to figure it out right now.

4. munchow says:

Wonderfully written, and with such a great twist at the end. Sad, but hopefully it can be said to be fair. And, yes, what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger…

i was thinking on the same line, Otto…the characters in this family will have their own issues to deal with & either they grow stronger or allow bitterness to rule. appreciate your time & elaborating to the storyline… ❤

5. Sofia Siberia says:

Loved the statue! 🙂
    Ah the idea about a post is great! I’m putting myself a challenge to try and keep my average posts under 1000 words, though hardly managing so far… When i start writing, i never stop 😀