Pure Laziness Or A Good Excuse To Twitter?

So, today I actually got all my Christmas decorations put away.

I know right. January 22nd and only now I found the energy to dismantle the fake tree, roll up the lights and carefully store all the assorted tree ornaments.

To be honest, my focus on the project was, well, awful. So much for my twelve-minute mindful sitting this morning seeking razor-sharp focus for my day.

Humph.

Okay, here is what went down.  As I got all the plastic bins out, took off the covers and energetically began to fill each plastic bin systematically, I got about half the ornaments off the tree and even removed the little green colored metal hanging things attached to each of them. During this time, I began to feel very proud that my “wild-child” mind did not notice the lack of on-line stimulation it seems to have grown very, very attached to lately.

Suddenly, BAM! My mind began to…shake…to quiver…and lapse into…

Arrgh. My hand knew exactly the solution as it disobeyed my will and ripped the Twitter fix right in without a moment lost…

AHHHH, the sweet euphoric ride into pure bliss…and once you feel the rush, the desire for more Twitter only increases…

To make a long story short, what should have taken twenty to thirty minutes to complete, turned into a two-hour project, including the afternoon tea break.

While drinking tea, it dawned on me, when should our Christmas decorations come down anyway? Anyone?

Is this pure laziness on my part (or a good excuse to Twitter) for putting away Christmas stuff at the end of January?

Please share and hey, be brutally honest…I need the kick!

34 thoughts on “Pure Laziness Or A Good Excuse To Twitter?

1. 1EarthUnited says:

Hi Sunshine! I honestly can’t say one way or another… since I still have my X-mas tree up, lol. I think the lights really bring on the holiday spirit so they stay up til early spring, when there’s plenty of natural light. Tea & tweets, pretty sweet. 🙂

i almost, out of sheer laziness, left my lights up!! they are beautiful at night though, like you say, and hmm, i may retake the lights out and string them up again. haha!!
      oh, i like your: Tea & tweets, pretty sweet!! beautiful!!

2. Maddie Cochere says:

February 16, of course!! We have an artificial tree and a few fiber optic decorations. They aren’t visible from any of the doors or windows, so my husband doesn’t fuss. I enjoy the Christmas lights, and one year, I turned them on every day, day after day, after day, until it was our son’s birthday – February 16. We decided to take the tree and decorations down on his birthday. This was a tradition for many years until this year. He has moved out, so I put the tree and decorations away last week. I think you can safely tweet and have tea and take as long as you want to take down Christmas decorations. 🙂

3. JackieP says:

It’s a personal decision. If you want to leave them up till next Xmas hey that’s ok! No reason to stress over them. After all they are cheerful. 🙂

Jackie, i am now rethinking i may string the lights back up for my living room looks as you say, less cheerful. 😦
      i love your life philosophy…no stress, just do what feels right. now, i can live with that! 🙂
      thank you! ❤

4. pencil pilot says:

I took my decorations down last week but they’re not put away. I feel I need to pare down, part with 1/3 of the items. And, oh boy, it’s way too easy to put off that task! I don’t have space (or continued tears) for keeping all we accumulated over decades and so I’ve challenged myself to do what it takes to let my heart to soar by letting go. I’m going to donate and bless others. Even if it’s Valentines Day when I do it. 🙂 Great post Sunshine!

i think you found the key, or at least part of it-in letting go-especially if it means material things, if we think about blessing others with the things we really need to part with in order to take the next steps in our journey, how much easier the task. hey, maybe you may find an idea for a blog post from your challenge to downscale…haha. 🙂
      thanks for your thoughts…and may you be inspired to let your heart soar higher and higher! ❤

Although I didn’t do it this year, I generally hold for keeping Christmas’ appearance through January if possible. So in my book–you did good!

oh, wonderful! those Christmas lights are lovely strung up and do add a warm touch to our living spaces…i may have to get them back out and hang it all back up!! *sigh*
      peace, sis. ❤

• Caddo Veil says:

You may remember that I have my hibiscus lights up all year, bathroom and living area/writing office–they were the best investment, and I wish I’d bought out all the store had!

• Caddo Veil says:

I don’t think I have the box anymore, or I could give you the company’s name. I have 2 strings–the flowers are about 3 inches in diameter: yellow, green, pink, and light and darker turquoise; they’re translucent, so you can see the little light within, which looks like ordinary Christmas light bulbs. Might be worth a “google”?

• Caddo Veil says:

I confess–right here on your blog–that mentally, I live in HI all year long (it helps to watch the orig Hawaii Five-O everyday at noon). So the tropical lights are a necessity!

6. angelswhisper2011 says:

Sunshine, what a coincidence to read your post. I went in the attic yesterday evening, to get some christmas lights to put it in a lantern, because I broke my table-lamp. So now it’s a little bit of Christmas again.. January, February, who cares, it’s your decision 🙂

Maybe a genie in a bottle for another solution to get all the trivial work done – ha! Guess we just go with the flow & let all fall into place in time 🙂
      Thanks, Susan. ❤

7. diggingher says:

I’ve had my tree up some years till the end of February. This year however life was so busy I never even put it up. Life is too short to fret about such things. Enjoy the tea and the tweets.

8. Nicole says:

I’m the worst person to ask this because I tend to keep my Christmas decorations out wayyyyyy past their prime. I’m not joking. The last time I went “all out” and decorated every square inch of our home, it was nuts. Everything went out TWO WEEKS BEFORE Thanksgiving and I finally put everything back into storage TWO WEEKS AFTER Valentine’s Day. At one point, I seriously considered keeping all that crap out just because Christmas would return again. {sigh}

Now, that “overwhelming experience” happened four years ago and I have not done it again since. In fact, I have not even put up a Christmas tree since 2009. Husband and I are usually with my family in Kentucky for Christmas and it seems like a waste of time to put everything out if nobody’s here to enjoy it. Of course, when the friends come over and say “I miss your holiday decor.” I feel terrible, but it’s so nice to relax and not have to spend hours (days) packing and storing. Eeek!

All of this to say, I would have drank a glass of sweet tea alongside you. 🙂

Nicole @ Three 31

Nicole,
      from Kentucky Derby to Christmas decorations…oh, how i love both events!! i am contemplating taking the lights back out and hanging it all back up around the living room!! the room looks bare and well, you know how warm and snuggly those lights make a room feel.(i have a feeling your Christmas decor was absolutely fabulous! i sense the energy!!)
      i do hope your new year is starting off just as you wish, and really, you brought radiant joy to my heart with your visit today. thank you! ❤

9. Katie says:

Christmas should be enjoyed for as long as possible. Personally, I hate everything about my house after Christmas comes down. Yuck. I seriously think it should stay up all year.

your words are sweet to my ears, Katie…after seeing my “blah” living space, i am seriously thinking of getting at least the lights out and hanging it around for visual comfort. thank you!! 🙂

10. Kozo says:

Sunshine, I hate to be the one that brings up the elephant in the room dancing around the Christmas ornaments, but YOU ARE AN ADDICT. You couldn’t stay off twitter for 20 minutes? You do realize that you could have finished putting away the decorations, then got on twitter and no one would have called you a liar about your tweet since no one would have checked if your decorations were put away yet.

Man, I thought crack cocaine was bad, but you, my dear, have a problem. I bet you are tweeting right now without even knowing it. Thank God tweets are free or you’d be on the street living in a van down by the river.

Get a grip on yourself, woman.
    P.S. At least you sat for 12 minutes. You better not have been thinking up tweets while you sat.
    {{{Hugs}}} Kozo

Oh, brutal Kozo, b-r-u-t-a-l, but I so need it!!!
      my will was strong but my hand, it’s the hands fault!! But you know what? I leaned how to post a copy of a tweet so a little lost time on-line, not so bad, heh?
      i’ma staying strong for twelve minutes–no jinx me!!!:\

11. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin says:

OK…I admit it…I LOVE the DECORATIONS…and Jill, my cat misses it so…but, it comes down…packed away …one week after or not sooner…Is this bah Humbug on my part???…No, just need of a little normalcy after months of “Do whatever comes along!”…I say, If you want to keep up forever…it’s your choice …ENJOY! as long as you want!

Hey, your kitty sounds like mine…she loves sitting underneath the tree especially when the Christmas lights are on @ night! it’s such a lovely season…but must move on…& thanks! i feel more at peace now. ❤

12. TinCanTraveler says:

The park I am living in here in St Marys, Georgia is still gradually taking down Christmas decorations. There are still outdoor lights about in the form of some deer and a white tree. I like the gradual packing away and still love seeing the minimal decorations at night when I walk around the park.
    Thanks for your story!

Actually, I love outdoor holiday lights myself & I bet it adds a nice homey touch at the park. If I did outdoor lites it would never come down-unless a burn out happens. Haha.
      I appreciate the chat 🙂