Simplicity

What is simplicity and how do we find it?

It is common to hear or read about folks wanting more simplicity in their lives. Heck, even I would love to embrace the idea of simplicity in my life. However, are we talking simplicity as abandoning all creature-comfort for a life alone in some back wood cabin, chopping wood for fire and hauling water from some creek?

firewood

Or is this desire for simplicity something deeper…not a physical cabin get-away so much as simply letting go from fears found in a life filled with…“an empty abundance.”

“Our affluent society contains those of talent and insight who are driven to prefer poverty, to choose it, rather than submit to the desolation of an empty abundance.”
~Michael Harrington

abandoned car

When is too much……just too much? Maybe too much comes with abandoned cars or messy storage units once called a car garage…

messy garage

Maybe the drive to find simplicity comes when our “living” rooms turn into indoor dump sites with stuff we felt were needs, but in reality, became tomorrow’s garbage that we cannot seem to part with yet…

“You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need.”
~Vernon Howard

So, again, what is simplicity and is it easy to find without someone poking the fun out of you while winking and whispering, “Oh, living in the sticks, eh?”

dead branches

Perhaps simplicity can be found everywhere at anytime.

I am slowly learning about this thing called simplicity, starting with a ten-minute quiet moment every morning. Some call it meditation, but I see it as daily mindful sitting.

With eyes closed, body relaxed, I set the timer for ten minutes (although, Everyday Gurus suggests twelve minutes to maximize on the benefits) and begin to reflect inwards to focus with intention on myself. For example, a mindful sitting may look at how I perceive and process inconvenient life situations like staying calm while driving (heh)…areas I would like to see changes not only for a better me, but in the big picture, a better world–world peace, being one example.

This mindful sitting may seem trivial and maybe it is, however, I feel an overall calmness within myself since starting mindful sitting. To be honest, my mind tends to wander all over the place and I am working to stay focus and train my “wild child” mind.

In application to blogging, I got over the guilt that I needed to post something everyday. I had to be honest with myself and realize, my capabilities to process a quality post everyday and still perform my personal obligations was not, at this time, right for me.

As we go through our day, no matter how complicated or crazy our schedules become, one can go within to seek a quiet quality mindful sitting moment appreciating this thing called simplicity.

Why not look around and check:

Are there things I need to let go that hinder my practice of living life in blissful simplicity? Please share…

* * *

“The greatest step towards a life of simplicity is to learn to let go.”

~Steve Maraboli

* * *

Curtain Call: Featured Blog…

To tie in this theme, simplicity, with the Feature Blog, In Blue: Make Believe Boutique came to mind. Blue describes herself  as “…surfacing bit by bit, in layers…” as a “…quiet and reflective artist…”

I think you will find calm and spiritual peace as you walk with Blue’s unique writing reflections such as, the spontaneous healing of a tired soul.

* * *

Inspiration today comes from Jakesprinter’s SUNDAY POST :Simplicity. Thank you!

48 thoughts on “Simplicity

1. seeker says:

Hi Charming: simplicity is in the mind of the beholder. I have a motto: KISS meaning Keep It Simple, Silly. Think in terms of a child, that’s simplicity. Glad you are following Kozo’s meditation practice. Soon you will enjoy it. 😀

a wonderful way to look at simplicity– i really love the child being the perfect example of pure simplicity…pure, angelic and given proper training and love, grow into people the world needs the most.
      ahh, Kozo’s influence is growing bigger and reaching out to many…as you are too, Seeker, with your timeless words of wisdom you bring. thank you– ❤

2. Kozo says:

Sunshine,
    I love the way your moving towards simplicity with mindful sitting. I also love how you let go of posting daily and instead sit daily. I find that mindful sitting allows me to simply BE even when my world gets complex and confusing.
    Having ‘wild child’ mind is fine as long as you keep sitting. I find that after a while the ‘wild child’ gets tired and settles down–but that may just be me falling asleep. 🙂
    Keep us informed of how your sits are going. {{{Hugs}}} to you for sitting for peace.
    Love,
    Kozo

haha, your “‘wild-child’ gets tired…but that may be me falling asleep!!” okay, now that has happened–falling asleep, well not totally, but i can tell my mind was uh, resting and not focusing. i am going to assume this happens and one just keeps on mindfully sitting, yes?
      and, of course, when i post i let go of daily posting, an inspiration hits me today and i had to post it. like, seriously?!? 😐
      gotta go now….{{{{{hugs}}}}}} ❤

I love the Vernon Howard quote, Sunshine–and simplicity definitely wouldn’t mean chopping wood, etc, for me! Recently I “stepped away from the computer” for a few days–and couldn’t believe how that de-stressed me. You know I love the blog neighborhood–truly, I do–but sometimes it’s like a treadmill, and I need to throw myself off! God bless you BIG–love, sis Caddo

hmm, Little Binky, you holding Granny hostage again…not letting her use her computer? i detected your ‘hiss’ as evidence but you are right, your list is simplicity at its finest. now, run along LB and let Granny come back to her computer…:)

4. Amy says:

Great post! Reading your post, I thought about Warren Buffet. It’s amazing that he and his wife can keep a simple life style with the fortune they have. He says that he doesn’t have an iPhone because he doesn’t need it.

i read something similar to W. Buffet about Bill Gates also living life not as we think a rich person would do but, for example, letting his kids earn their own living. Not sure if it’s true, but interesting if it is. –appreciate your thoughts…<3

5. philosophermouseofthehedge says:

Simplicity is complex.
    Does the definition of simplicity change with age? Life starts out pretty simple – kids are amused with boxes and splashing in water – with a few people sharing stories. Do things change once gathering friends (peer pressure), going out into the world and seeing all that is there – and having a job to pay bills ( which starts a whole cycle of consumption and expectations) – Then some stay there while other almost return to child like simplicity? Some get into defensive simplicity? Or “show-off driven” simplicity ( which really isn’t “simple” more ego?…you’ve seen those people?)
    As always great quotes. Mindfulness is so not simple!
    Simply lovely post

once again, Phil, your wisdom words radiate the truth on simplicity and its ever changing definition. if we can keep the childhood simplicity we once had without the “ego” redefining everything, how peaceful our lives would be…. hmm, “show-off driven” simplicity…is that like some minimalists?
      sometimes i just think our animal friends show us all we really need in life to be happy–a loving home life, good food, warm bed and loving companions to share in our lives and care for each other. simple. 🙂

6. rommel says:

I was onced diagnosed for being a blog addict. I went to a counsel and taught me about deep muscle relaxation where you just sit, tense your muscle…..now, really tense your muscles…..wait…….. Then ahhhhh….. Release. That thing works!!! ……but not for me. I can’t do it on a daily basis. I’m a kind of person who always go from point a to b. I’m an anxious human being. Always thinking, always wanting to live vicariously. 😀 i cannot change that part of myself. And plus, I love blogging so much. It’s my own type of medication ….ehem…. meditation. 😀

i pray you always have the on-line connection right at your fingertips and never any inconveniences up in the woods…like ticks/no running water/snakes!/no stores for miles and miles! ha ha hahhaha…. 🙂

the *Universe 🙂 smiles* as blog addicts around the world sit consistently in front of their on-line source and meditate for hours…i LOVE the concept!! :p
      being anxious in some ways, if put to good use, can be the catalyst that brings great changes to the world…and in your case, your innovative style of blogging definitely is an inspiration to many, Rommel. so, keep it up…never stop…we are counting on you!! ❤

7. 1EarthUnited says:

My rule of thumb, if “doing” feels like a J-O-B, then it’s time for being. Meditation is watching your mind like a witness, so you start to realize the mind is not you. Look at it like a tool or another sense, use it if you need to. Turn it off to simplify your “beingness” – that’s the key to relaxation and your sense of peace. Enjoy your blog, I sure do! Take care sunshine.

8. restlessjo says:

Out in the sticks- no way! But I’m not one for endless posessions. Focussing the mind is hard for a flippertigibbert like me, but I love your way of thinking.