The Olympic Medals

Copyright-Rochelle Wisoff-Fields

Agnes searched for her medals as the reporter studied a photograph.

Suddenly, Agnes cried out, “Oh, look, I find my grandchildren’s crayons, but not medals…pshaw, must mean medals are not so important, eh?”

“Your father?” asked the reporter.

“Yes, and handsome too! It was because of his strong athletic genes I went to win, at thirty-five years old, four gold and two silver Olympic medals,” sighed Agnes.

As the awe-inspired reporter turned to speak with Agnes, he found she had nodded off to sleep. Well, he thought, at her young ninety-one year age, his story could wait until another day.

* * *

“All our dreams can come true–if we have the courage to pursue them.”

~Walt Disney

* * *

Genre: Historical Fiction based on the life of retired artistic gymnast and coach, Agnes Keleti (1/9/21-present), born in Budapest, Hungary. Keleti survived WWII by working as a Christian maid in a pro-Nazi family. Her mother and sister survived the concentration camp but her father and extended family perished at Auschwitz.

Inspiration: Friday Fictioneers …WARNING! This is an addiction for which there is no 12 step recovery program.

THE CHALLENGE:

Write a one hundred word story that has a beginning, middle and end. (No one will be ostracized for going over or under the word count.)

THE KEY:

Make every word count.

46 thoughts on “The Olympic Medals

1. YJ says:

I enjoyed this story. I believe that our seniors have so much knowledge to past on…we just have to be in position to get the knowledge.

you are so right, Janet…this era, WOW! one can only shake their head in disbelief going through just a fraction of the stories…i’m glad you joined in with Agnes. my thanks. ❤

2. Island Traveler says:

A beautiful and inspiring story. It teaches us to believe in ourselves and others. This one I’ll remember today, ““All our dreams can come true–if we have the courage to pursue them.” Have a great weekend.

reading about Agnes and what she accomplished truly is an amazing and inspiring story. i’m glad you found some time in your busy schedule to visit. you always bring joy. thanks ❤

3. Kozo says:

I love these 100 word challenges, Sunshine. My biggest critique is that after I read your story, I can’t read anyone another one because I only associate the picture with your story. It’s kinda like only being able to lose your virginity once. I’m glad it was with you, though. {{{Hugs}}} Kozo

i’m soaking in the ❤ love you bring here, Kozo…a radiant star always encouraging others to reach higher. thanks!

if you have the time (haha) if you click on mr. froggy icon, you will be amazed with all the great contributions.

okay, now back to work! {{{HUGS}}}

this was a great photo challenge as it took me to the horrific era i least want to read about, or perhaps, i have difficult getting through the tragedies. Agnes is an inspiration to never give up on our dreams no matter the obstacles…thanks for sitting in with Agnes. ❤

that whole time frame in history is a real bummer but thankfully, we have folks like Agnes that teach us what great achievements a person can accomplish no matter how tragic their past may be. glad you sat for a bit with Agnes… ❤