NEW YEAR 2013: Equanimity

Don’t freak!

So, 2013 is coming in quick, and if completing the long list of 2012 resolutions we made at the beginning of this year is like putting on layers of clothing; how many of us got fully dressed this year?

Got Caught

Caught again with very little 2012 New Year’s resolutions done…wimper!!  -Photo credit: DeHKsY

Don’t look at me. That pile over there in the corner is my resolution goals…okay, so I barely got dressed after February!

I do not know about you but gosh darn, thinking up all those resolutions at the beginning of the year and trying to complete them is simply too tiring and useless!  Usually, by December 31, a chilly wind begins to seep right through the skimpy resolution efforts that started on so well in January and February, and now, many resolutions later, have ended up unresolved and piled up in some corner of my room.

Brr and grr!

Well, this year, to heck with attempting to tackle the resolution list! I am packing away the long, tedious resolution list and instead, stripping down to the bare necessities; picking one word and working diligently to make that word become the complete layer of clothing that brings me to a better end by next year.

Quinn Creative: It’s Time for Your Word of the Year, suggests instead of a resolution list, pick a word for the upcoming year and make it a part of you by the end of the year. Quinn states, “you choose a word that will symbolize the year for you–set the intention or create a verbal amulet.”

I think it is a perfect idea!

After frantically sifting through oodles of words, the one I need the most, and one that has settled quite firmly in my mind is…

EQUANIMITY:

mental calmness, composure, and evenness of temper, especially in a difficult situation.
Synonyms: composure, calmness, poise, serenity, self-possession

That is it. Equanimity. I hope to work on, manage, tweak and adjust the state of equanimity within me. Hopefully, by simplifying my year, I can avoid getting caught with a pile of unresolved resolutions.

Wish me luck and away I go to tackle being cool and collected through every crises that comes my way.

Hehe…see my many faces I will be changing by the end of 2013 because…

“I will NOT freak out at anything that comes my way!”

Stress

2013 Word: Equanimity…practice daily to achieve perfection by December 31, 2013. -photo credit: topgold

* * *

What would be your word for 2013?

* * *

Interested in more SUNDAY POST hosted by Jakesprinter? The challenge is flexible and a great place for inspiration. I hope you check in on more NEW YEAR 2013 contributors.

For a quick peek, enjoy these fine entries:

31 thoughts on “NEW YEAR 2013: Equanimity

Wow, this is a cool idea! I’d better get crackin’ on choosing a word–it’s an hour and a half til 2013 here! Thanks–and Happy New Year to you!!

• Caddo Veil says:

Oooh, I really like that word of reassurance from you, dear heart–I’ll know the word when it arrives. So, I don’t have to get out every dictionary and make this into a “work project”–thank you immensely, now I can breathe again! God Bless you BIG! love, crazy Caddo sis

Oh, right…I forgot I never ever freak.

•Big laughs•

I need all the power surges, Rommel! Thanks, you are simply smashing! 😉

-Let 2013 be your year- ❤

2. angelswhisper2011 says:

Equanimity could be my word too, Sunshine. I had a hard time to achieve it last year. Wow, and those eggs could be mine too, but today I got up with my new words: Faith, peace and happiness… meaning: let’s throw away the eggs and let us go through 2013 with a smile on our face. Make the best of 2013 🙂

Don’t freak in 2013!! Haha…thanks, my friend. I’m so happy I got connected to your awesome blog, Jake! I will always remember one of the first comments you left when I first started–“lots if power to this blog.”

Thanks for the power surge… You helped make it a success. ❤

3. restlessjo says:

Now you’ve got me thinking. I could certainly use some equanimity in my own life. I’m off to think in a nice hot bath. Soothing! Thanks for making me smile in 2013. Have a great year.

Thanks, LuAnn!! Sometimes it pays to attempt those power yoga DVDs with Baron Baptiste…I think it’s his word. Haha…

May your 2013 be abundantly blessed! 😉

4. pencil pilot says:

Love your word- the meaning and, besides, just how it rolls around on the tongue. You did an excellent job with visual of the “pile” of cast off (or never put on) resolutions, heaped in the corner. I identify with that!! You have me thinking of my own word. Nice post!

Hey, PP., good to see you online & hope all is going right & well with you. I heard the word equanimity as I was attempting to power yoga with Baron Baptiste via DVD! Haha…
      Maybe you will get a post out on your new year word?
      Anyway, may you have an awesome 2013 with loads of peace & joy! 😉

• pencil pilot says:

You’ve inspired me to try things like Weekly Photo Challenge, and Daily Prompt, etc! I’m feeling better…feel energized about writing again. 🙂 I think I’ve settled on my Word for 2013…just letting it roll around for a tiny bit and will post. May you & your family have an amazing 2013.

GRRREAT, PP…looking forward to your entries so onwards!! Yay!

I think you will love the photo challenge. You can make it as simple or complicated as you like and the contributors are all so lively and creative. If you are short on time, the weekly challenges are a great way to stay motivated without feeling overwhelmed.

All the best and power surging you into action…haha! 🙂

5. Claudia says:

I agree, one word is the way to go. Usual resolutions are too complicated. Good for you for choosing equanimity. I like it! 🙂 Happy New Year!