708 Fulton Cafe

Copyright Jean L. Hays

Copyright Jean L. Hays

Every morning, Christa’s faithful six: Mr. and Mrs. Durbin, the oldest married couple in town; Rick, the recently widowed town mayor; Janice, the retired schoolteacher and freelance writers, Jeff Evans and Dawn Boyd anxiously waited for her café doors to open at seven.

The boisterous, happy conversations between them were like most mornings; as Christa served them their usual orders, she finally realized a sense of peace she never dreamed possible.

No one noticed the tall stranger as he entered.

“Hello, Christa. Did I give you permission to leave me?”

Her dishes dropped; Christa’s peace lay shattered on the ground.

* * *

WELCOME TO FRIDAY FICTIONEERS!

“We are a growing community of blogging writers who come together each week from all parts of the globe to share individual flash fictions from a single photo prompt. The prompt goes up early Wednesday morning to give each writer time to compose a story by Friday. Some use the photo as a mere inspiration while others use it as an illustration.”

There’s no right or wrong way.

THE CHALLENGE: Write a one hundred word story that has a beginning, middle and end.

THE KEY:Make every word count.

THE RULES:  Go to Rochelle Wisoff-Fields, for all the details! —28 December 2012.

To find more wonderful contributors,  just click on blue  image below!  🙂

38 thoughts on “708 Fulton Cafe

like a hidden landmine some characters are highly unpredictable and dangerous…yes, let us hope the 911 call comes before the explosion!

thank you for the warm welcome and I am enjoying all the stories from this creative writing community. 🙂

1. Sandra says:

Such a menacing quality to the words “did I give your permission to leave me.” So much more power than “you should never have left me”. It implies the sinister nature of the relationship. Well done, I enjoyed this.

thank you, janet! i wanted to convey somehow christa’s peace was really as fragile as the dishes she carried…your words encourages me a great deal. thank you again.

2. Kozo says:

I can’t believe how much drama you can create in 100 words, Sunshine. I love reading these, but I hate not knowing what happens. 😦
    Great job.

Oh, there you are…did you get your post to link to the link spot? I was having trouble myself but managed to, finally, figure how to get my post on the link box! Arrgh.

I am enjoying these short “teasers” and yes, more is always lurking backstage. hehe…

Thank you and peace be with you. 🙂

3. dmmacilroy says:

“And clean up that mess you made!” This guy sounds like a piece of work. Oh, well, takes all kinds, and perhaps that’s exactly what she wants. Good story.

Aloha,

Doug

4. rgayer55 says:

It started out very charming, but little Miss Sunshine dropped a bomb on us at the end and left us fearing for her safety. Very powerful writing. Well done.