The Inevitable

Copyright-Scott L. Vannatter

“Go away, Jarvis!” sobbed Sara.

Sara quickly snapped a photo of her little friend. It was time to leave before her case worker arrived. Because of Jarvis, this was the first foster home she felt loved. Unfortunately, a divorce was pending within this family and Sara knew, by heart, the inevitable.

“Jarvis, I can’t take it anymore,” cried Sara, “not another strange home!”

“Shoo, don’t run after me! I can’t take a stupid cat! The streets are only good for bad people like me,” screamed Sara.

She ran out the backdoor with just her ragged backpack and an old Kodak camera.

* * *

If you thirsting for more one hundred word “flash fiction or a poem inspired by a photo prompt,” then head on over to Friday Fictioneers, hosted by:

Rochelle Wisoff-Fields-Addicted to Purple.

* * *

28 thoughts on “The Inevitable

1. erinleary says:

Sad story…it made me feel for her. It reminded me of the beginning of a book I read recently, “The Language of Flowers”.It had a very layered story whose protagonist is a young girl who bounced around the foster system.

2. Kozo says:

I love how much you convey in a conversation with a girl and a cat. This helps me understand what they mean when they say, “show, don’t tell.” Beautiful.

What I love about writing only 100 words is it forces you to really nip and tuck your story to the bare essentials…sometimes it is quite painful slashing up your story. Ah, but hopefully it helps to make better writers in the end. 🙂
      Thanks, Kozo for your encouraging visit.

3. philosophermouseofthehedge says:

Heart wrenching. Well done. ( but now I’m really sad…I just know the cat ran after her and jumped in the backpack…they pick people, not the other way around. Together they have a chance (had to write an ending…just too sad otherwise!)

4. Arindam says:

You have captured so many emotions with few words in this post. It was a great read. I completely enjoy reading this. You are a really nice writer. I will look forward to read a whole short story from you in future. 🙂

You are the sweetest, Arindam. Thanks for the very kind words of encouragement. Writing fiction is very new to me so reading your comment warms my heart. ❤
      Have you thought about writing fiction? You may want to take a peek over at this 100-word Friday Fiction community…just a thought.
      Have a wonderful peaceful week!! 🙂

5. Island Traveler says:

That is a moving story. It reminds us that things like this happens in the real world and it is a sad and difficult moment for people who are in this situations. Some stories may appear fiction but somehow we see a bit of ourselves in them. Great post!

Even if fiction, I believe as you do that lessons are embedded in many stories. Hopefully as we read them it help us to have deeper awareness or at least empathy to those struggling to find the love of a forever family.

Thank you.