“Our Hearts Are Broken…”

~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Newtown, Connecticut

Connecticut Governor Dan Malloy:

“Evil visited this community today.”

The community being a southern New England town called Newtown, where a young, 20-year old decided today, December 13, 2012, he had enough.

Entering a classroom where his mother was a teacher, he tragically shot her and 20 students ranging in ages from five to ten years old.

President Barack Obama:

“Our hearts are broken today.”

This short post goes out to the parents who lost their children in this horrific situation, the witnesses, especially the young ones and to our nation that seems to be slowly unraveling.

Since this killing spree involved guns, naturally the public discussions are turning to  gun control. I admit my total lack of knowledge about gun control, so I ask, do we need more gun control or less? How can a nation stop the current violence against its own people?

27 thoughts on ““Our Hearts Are Broken…”

We are all one indirectly & you are right, those who lost their lives are not strangers…may God’s peace & understanding surround the families directly hit by this awful madness.

1. Angelia Sims says:

Such a horrific loss. Unspeakable evil. I wish I knew what to say about gun control. If they ban guns will it be like drugs and alcohol? Smugglers take over and who knows whose hands they will fall into? It is a tough call.

It is a very tough call…I am totally perplexed in what directions this should go. You are right, I do not think stricter gun laws is the answer…I read somewhere that Connecticut has one of the strictest gun control in the United States. 😦

2. Long Life Cats and Dogs says:

What an unbelievable shocking and sad event. That a young man should feel that low, that he needs to take the life of his mother and innocent young children. Those poor parents. The hell they must be experiencing now. No words can express.

These tragic events seem to be occurring more frequently and really, Susan, I feel exactly the same way…”no words can express…” for me, the magnitude of brokenness our nation is facing.

3. lingeringvisions says:

Broken indeed. It is one thing when we are attacked by terrorists, quite another when we can’t protect our children from their neighbors. Hearts are broken all over the country tonight.

May our nation not lose hope in our brokenness but rise up together to find solutions to help each other rather than hurt and live in hate. Your hope poster reminded me of this. Thanks.

4. munchow says:

It has been a terrible day, not only for parents, family and friends of those who lost their lives in Newtown, it’s a loss for everybody who believes in the good spirit of human beings. Being non-American I really don’t understand the gun laws in the States. The argument that guns don’t kill, it’s people that do, is for me semantics. It’s like saying alcohol doesn’t damage and place a bottle of liquor in front of an alcoholic.

Otto, this must be a wake up call of sorts. I mean it is like our nation is beginning to have its own little wars within itself…instead of a civil war, it is individuals taking action for whatever wrong they feel has been placed on them. Was it only recently we were all saddened by the Colorado theater shooter? I just do not know…so baffled by it all.

5. lifeofaministermom says:

These families continue to be in my prayers. Let us appreciate what and who we have, and hug our loved ones a little tighter every day…

Perhaps we will never get a solution to heal our broken nation, but hopefully we each find a deeper appreciation for one another, not only in our immediate circle but across the world. {{hugs}}

6. firesurvivors says:

I just cannot understand why this had to happen in the first place and why so many parents lives will forever be changed by the event. Every Christmas, every birthday they will have a hard time celebrating without their loved ones.

7. Island Traveler says:

A tragic event that broke the hearts first of the family of the vicitms and secondly, all the hearts in the world. This kids are just about my son’s age. beautiful, vibrant, full of hopes and dreams. I Cried the moment I saw their faces. I agree, ““There’s no tragedy in life like the death of a child. Things never get back to the way they were.” May God renew our broken hearts and spirit.

8. Po' Girl Shines says:

I can’t help but feel these are the end times for the fact that last Friday, I just came from a visit with my brother in the hospital who was finally out of intensive care from almost being stabbed to death to turn on the TV and find this horror. So sad that there are so many evil, hurtful people in this world.

I am so sorry to hear about your brother and hope he will make a speedy recovery. What is going on in our ailing world makes one want to shake their head and just about give up but perhaps this is the moment when we grow more hopeful and stronger in love.
      Thank you for sharing a heartbreaking event in your family’s life and I wish you all the best. May your brother be healed soon.

9. Jenn says:

Following a mass shooting years ago, Australia introduced a gun ban. Guns are registered or confiscated. Australia has never known the concept of the right, or need, to bear arms. Personally I am thankful for Australia’s strict stance on guns. Reduced access by all people make it more difficult for random massacres to occur. Admittedly there is a marked difference in population size

Jenn- I have limited knowledge about my own country’s gun laws & reading about Australia’s laws is very interesting. I suspect, however, our country will always support the right to bear arms for its people. At this time, I am not sure the best position. Guess it’s time to do some research on the topic…thank you for increasing my knowledge about your country. 🙂

• Jenn says:

youre welcome 🙂 i suspect to ban guns in the us would be way too problematic unfortunately … such a different birth of the nation to ours