It’s Time for…HO, HO, HO…For the Real Deal!

Jolly ole’ saint Nicholas was really a 4th-century Greek Bishop of Myra, a place that is now part of modern-day Turkey.

St Nicholas of Myra

St Nicholas of Myra–Photo credit: Lawrence OP

Now, most of us know St. Nicholas as the red suited Santa Claus who happens to live in the North Pole with a Mrs. Claus, a bunch of goody two shoe elves and lots of reindeer, including the famous red nose Rudolph reindeer.

This ultimate transformation is an example of skillful marketing strategy geared to hit you straight into your heart and hopefully, your wallet!

Father Christmas

Because the historical Saint Nicholas was known for his secret gift giving– such as throwing gold coins through a window so a poor father had enough dowry money to have his three daughters married– the image of the modern-day happy Santa Claus is there to remind us of one real deal this holiday season:

Santa Claus

You need to buy, BUY, BUY more gifts, no? Photo credit: Christopher S. Penn

You need to buy gifts, lots of it, even if you cannot afford the gifts! Moreover, you need to buy gifts even if the people you buy gifts for do not need nor want your gifts, because the marketing strategy is… every right-minded human being wants to be as generous, kind and compassion, like the good Bishop Saint Nicholas.

Right??

* * *
Did you BUY all your Christmas gifts yet??

* * *

“The giver of every good and perfect gift has called upon us to mimic HIS giving, by grace, through faith, and this is not of ourselves.” ~St. Nicholas of Myra

20 thoughts on “It’s Time for…HO, HO, HO…For the Real Deal!

1. rommel says:

Sorry but Just like Black Friday and other holidays, I can never get this whole shopping frenzy, gift giving bonanza, big preparation shenannigans, celebration hooplas of Christmas.

Haha! Bah humbug, eh, Rommel? Good on ya…may we return to the true Christmas spirit of quiet reflections, prayer and giving the gift of our time rather than meaningless material gifts!
      Peace to you & thanks! 🙂

One of the benefits to living rather alienated (from “real” people, not my cyber family) is that I’m not obligated to buy gifts, at all. I’m doing some baking and sending it to someone special–so I’m “giving”, but it’s not the stressful commercial type of giving. It’s very satisfying–fun and exciting. This is the first time I’ve made Pound Cake–oh my goodness, Sunshine! It’s true that they “fell”, so they ain’t too pretty–but are they GOOOOOD!!!! If you want the recipe, let me know. God bless you–love, sis Caddo

Your homemade from the heart gifts are really the ones I think most people appreciate — it is not hard to stop in at a shop and grab something off the shelf, but planning then making a gift is truly a labor of love.

Now, if your pound cake is a very EASY recipe then yes, but I am known to burn even pasta & if yours “fell,” I tremble at the thought of my version!?!?!? 😉 yikes!!!

• Caddo Veil says:

Well, I’ve got very good news for you! The pound cake is EASY and SO GOOD–the fact that it won’t make the cover of one of the Cuisine mags doesn’t alter how deadly good it is. I ate one by myself–and am awfully tempted to make another batch (the recipe makes 3 loaves, which I’d recommend, rather than the prettier tube cakes–but it’s up to you). When I get a sec, I’ll either email it to you–or put it here in the comment box. Yummm!

3. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin says:

Drew names with adults…one gift…Gifts for grandkids only…Making cookies as usual for out of town family…ready to mail ths coming week…I so enjoy thinking about them as I’m baking and the “thank you’s” are genuine!…The “Reason for the Season” is what is important…but, kids do love their Santa…as I remember…and I wouldn’t take that from them for anything…

I would say your busy in other things may just be your type of Christmas this year…not so bad eh? Tell Little Binky to take you out for some walks outside once in awhile. 🙂