SUNDAY POST : Natural Resources–Most

The Water“We must treat water as if it were the most precious thing in the world, the most valuable natural resource.

Be economical with water!

Don’t waste it!

We still have time to do something about this problem before it is too late.    ~Mikhail Gorbachev

my thoughts today…

…it is common to see people throw away half consumed bottled water without a thought about the most valuable natural resource we have, clean water. A friend of mine decided to collect these half-filled water bottles whenever she attends an event. Her houseplants thrive with the extra and free water supply!

…it is nice to know water companies now make smaller water containers instead of the usual 20 fluid oz bottles. The smaller bottles pack easier in a purse too!

…water is just one natural resource among many others and if you want more on Natural Resources, please visit Jakesprinter’s SUNDAY POST for more contributors and information on how to participate in this weekly event.

* * *

Do you find it easy to be economical with a valuable natural resource like water?

* * *

48 thoughts on “SUNDAY POST : Natural Resources–Most

Yes, several households around here have put in rain catching barrels…wonderful idea not only for plants but giving rain water to the animals. 🙂 Thanks!!

1. restlessjo says:

Provokes a wry smile as I listen to the rain hammer against the window- no walking today! (don’t mind a splash in the puddles now and again- I know we’re lucky)
    I am very careful, and always refill bottles with tap water to use again and again. Fabulous photo and I do appreciate the sentiment. Thanks again for pinging me!

I know how rainy days can bring a little down time both in physical limitations and general attitude but thank the Universe those days come and go quickly…usually.
      Having a filter on the tap makes it easy to have clean bottled water now without worrying about filling the landfill with used up plastic water bottles…glad you brought the idea here. 🙂

2. philosophermouseofthehedge says:

Water rights will become one of the most important issues before long. Our rice farmers are worried the river authorities are going to withhold river water again this year…the hooping cranes a bit worried about that, too. And private companies want to dam a river and build a reservoir – so they can sell water…wait – that flowing river belongs to…? We need to be cautious and careful. Good post

Being in tune to the limited supply of our natural resources comes easy for some but others may have had poor training or none at all about conservation. This can be quite a challenge to change habits…I am sure the school lesson plans these days include some of these issues. I hope. 🙂

3. poppytump says:

I know I do need to do more on the H2o front … you have and others have reminded me that it IS a precious resource Sunshine !
    I guess it’s where we live in rainy damp England makes me a bit blase . I aim to improve 🙂

Although we seem to think our planet is vast and unlimited in a lot of resources, we truly are ONE and no matter how small our contribution is towards conservation, in the big picture, we all benefit from the gesture. Be well and enjoy all the blessings that come your way…thanks! 🙂

4. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin says:

We lived in the county and had to have water delivered to our cistern by truck…when I was a young girl…I hate to say it…But, my dream was to take a long soaking bath with the tub full…water my flowers and feel it running over my bare feet…Wash my car when I felt like it…and let it run as I washed dishes like I saw other people doing…
    I guess my younger days are instilled in me though…I still try and conserve…mkg

5. Angelia Sims says:

Oh my gosh! So true, and what a fabulous idea to use the water left for plants. I love ideas of renewal. I watched a TV show on Las Vegas hotels and it showed how they use special washers and recycled water for some of the linens. Interesting stuff. 🙂

Having special washers that recycle water is the innovative inventions we need and must use…so glad you mentioned it. As I told Island T., I hope the schools are encouraging the kids to think on these precious natural resources–especially clean water supply. Our planet depends on it. 😉

6. Arindam says:

This one is a very thought provoking post, Sunshine. When we were kid, we were not aware of the fact that, there are places in our country too where people have to buy water for cooking and other needs. But when we grew up and moved to city then only we realized how precious water is. I hope now it’s the time that we all realize it. Great post.

It is easy to forget how we are truly all connected to each other…our planet may seem endless but as you mentioned, just moving to another area can show our resources are not endless. Your thoughtful words are much appreciated, Arindam. 😉

Yikes! When water becomes more precious than oil will truly be a sad affair…yes, conservation must begin with all of us and immediately. 😉
      Glad you brought it to our attention, Plaridel…

7. Sheila says:

So true! That’s a great idea to collect rain water for plants. It also helps to buy filters instead of water so that we won’t also be buying and using plastic.

Using water filters is a great idea to reduce all the plastic bottles filling up the landfills and much more economical too!! We must progress in the area of water conservation before it is too late! 🙂