There is a woman at church who challenges me every time I see her. When she asked me her question, I have to admit, the first few times, I was always flustered. After I thought about it, it actually made me uncomfortable that I could not answer her without pausing to think deeply on the answer.
Her question was easy. The answer should be right there ready to blurt out at the instant someone asks.
Why was it so hard for me to think, on the spot, the question, “What was the one thing I was thankful for today?
Seriously. The first time she asked me, it was as if my whole brain turned to rocks and it began to shut down.
Me: Uh, I don’t know. Let’s see. Um, uh, well…the one thing I am thankful for today is…uh, why you asking me this, Mrs. V? You know I barely think about anything useful let alone what I am thankful for…
Mrs. V.: We have many opportunities, big and small; throughout the day…if you take a few minutes throughout the day looking for grateful instances, by the end of the day, you will have collected a basket full of those thankful moments.
Taking Mrs. V.’s wisdom words to heart, I am thankful today for all the blessings that have come my way, so many taken for granted; like good health, freedom to worship, loving family and friends, opportunities to express creative works without persecution and my home country, the United States.
For this glorious sunset this evening, I am thankful.
* * * *
What is the one thing you are thankful for today?
* * * *
Find yourself craving more on this Thankful theme? Visit the Weekly Photo Challenge for more information like this and more:
Thankful. In the United States, yesterday was Thanksgiving, a holiday where people spend time with family and friends and remember the things they’re thankful for.
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Thankful (annarashbrook.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Thankful (rutheh.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Thankful (perceptionsofareluctanthomemaker.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Thankful (blatherskiteblog.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Thankful (thepetalpusher.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Thankful (colderweather.net)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Thankful (rfljenksy.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Thankful (lifeofaministermom.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Thankful (ahecticlife.wordpress.com)