Ticket to Ride– A City to City Adventure

“To grow older means having more time to enjoy board games with good friends.”
~Unknown

Have you played Ticket to Ride by Days of Wonder? It is a board game created by Alan R. Moon. This beautifully designed game has won many game awards including the 2005 International Gamer Award. Since August 2008, according to its publisher, over 750,000 copies have sold.

board game, random, city, Days of Wonder

Board Game: Ticket to Ride…”the cross-country train adventure game…players compete to connect different CITIES by laying claim to railway routes on a map of North America.” (Reference credit:Game Information Flyer)

Using the railway theme, the players use many different colored trains to build their routes through different North American cities. There are eight colored trains and each represent a certain type of train car. For example, the black trains represent the Hopper car, white trains the Reefer car, orange the Tanker car, purple, the Freight car, yellow, the boxcar, red, the coal car, blue, the passenger car and green, the caboose.

train car, ticket to ride, america, board game

Color trains connecting city to city: Red= Coal car…Yellow= Box car…Blue= Passenger car…Green= Caboose car

Briefly, the game can have 2-5 players, ages 8 and older and playtime is approximately an hour that includes set up time. The only skills required to play is be able to collect cards and connect the train cars to their own secret destinations. The three destination cards at the beginning of the game tell each player what route they need to complete.

Ticket to Ride, board game, cities, North America

Destination Tickets: Kept a secret until the end of the game…

Ticket to Ride, train cards, board game, city

A player’s collection of train cards.

The player secretly begins to complete each of their destination routes by picking train cards from a common deck.

One can only complete a track with the right colored train cards and exact amount for each colored space on the board. For example, you must have three yellow train cards in your hand to lay three of your colored trains on three yellow spaces on the board. You still with me?

board game, ticket to ride, trains, cities, routes

A cross-country adventure…players collect cards enabling “them to claim railway routes connecting CITIES throughout North America.” (Credit: Game flyer)

In order to keep this post simple, the winner is the player that collects the most completed routes. Completed routes are worth points–the longer and more difficult the route, the greater the points gained. The game ends when a player uses or nearly uses all his/her supply of colored train pieces. During the game, the player that builds the longest continuously connected set of routes receives a bonus of ten extra points.

~ + ~

If my poor explanation in playing this game has left you bewildered, my apologies. This is one of those board games, I believe, needs active playtime as you learn all the rules of the game.

Now, you are probably wondering why I am carrying on about a board game when the theme for Jakesprinter’s SUNDAY POST is City.

Well, surprise! As you have noticed, Ticket to Ride has players building routes through different North American cities. There are other installments to this train series including Ticket to Ride Europe and Germany.

There you have it…my North American cities…all on one neat board game. Toot-Toot!!

* * *
Do you have a favorite city you would love to visit or better yet, afford to move and live for an extended period?

* * *

40 thoughts on “Ticket to Ride– A City to City Adventure

1. tchistorygal says:

I love this. I hope you don’t mind if I reblog it. It’s perfect for teaching geography. What a fun way to learn. Thanks for sharing this!!! : Sorry I can’t seem to like it. My like ability is messed up right now! But I do like it!!!

Thank you, History Gal for the reblog…I’m honored….as far as the “like” not wanting to activate, I notice if I wait for the page to load completely or near it, the like button works. My experience anyway….

I recommend Days Of Wonder board games…well made, beautiful & educational as well! What a deal, huh?
      Thanks, again!

2. tchistorygal says:

Reblogged this on Marsha Lee and commented:
    This is a perfect way to teach geography to young-ish children. If you teach social studies – you’ve got to start with geography – so I’ve been told!!! When you teach literature, guess what??? Same thing! I know you will enjoy this post!

Well, it’s an excellent post for Jake’s “City”, Sunshine!! But my head is spinning dizzily about the game–I’d love to know the scientific explanation (neurological, psycho-neurological) why a fairly intelligent woman in other regards, cannot do games. Seriously–I’m hopeless; I was severely traumatized when my 4 year old niece used to humiliate me at Crazy Eights (probably 20 yrs ago, and I’ve not recovered). And yes, I’m Rambling Caddo. Good night, Love–God bless you big!

Fun times, sis Caddo…this game looks overwhelming but once you start playing and collecting your train cards, it takes off. Lol! I am glad you rambled over and hope your snooze was restful!! 🙂
      Happy blessed Monday!!

4. suchwildlove says:

YES! I bought that game some years ago, and have really enjoyed playing it with the family. Another big favourite (especially with the younger kids) is Hey, That’s My Fish!

hello hashimaree…a classic game for sure and i love the quality of the game with the wooden moving pieces and beautifully illustrated playing cards…an upgrade from the generic games from big department stores. 🙂
      hmm, i am not familiar with, Hey, That’s my Fish…but it sounds like a fun game.
      thanks for venturing over…i enjoyed our chat 🙂

5. angelswhisper2011 says:

What a lovely game, Sunshine. We’re planning to move to the South of the Netherlands, South Limburg, that’s our favourite place. You have to google it, it’s really the most beautiful part of the Netherlands you’ve ever seen 🙂 Now we’re living near Rotterdam. By the way, that’s also the reason I have to catch up a few post 😉

Oh, how exciting, Angelswhisper…is Little Binky getting anxious or excited with the upcoming move? Yes, I will google your new spot…sounds heavenly!
      Well, not to worry about us out here…just take it easy as you go through moving…it can get stressful moving around a whole household.
      Glad you stopped in…:)

Well HOWDY Eleanor!! Great to see you again…Oh, I think you will love the games by Days of Wonder because not only are they fun, fun, fun but they are well designed and nothing like the department store games–you know, Monopoly/Life etc…
      I can say yes, excellent Christmas family fun game to put under the tree…bust it out at the family get together and it keeps the company quite entertained–especially if snowed in. 😉
      I am happy you dropped in! 🙂

6. Tammy says:

looks like so much fun! Thanks for the suggestion and the well written description! So glad I found your blogpost through “Streaming Thoughts”, through my favorite farm blog, “Pairodox Farm” on WordPress! Have a great day!

Hello Tammy!
      The nice thing about Days of Wonder games is not only the educational value but the quality of the game itself…they are really beautifully crafted. For non board gamers, there are computer and xbox live versions as well. They think of everyone…haha…
      Thanks for sitting in the game…:)

Anytime, RLJo…I think you will love the fact that you would be constantly going to different cities and hoping your opponents do not block your path! HAha…thanks!!

It is a cool way to learn geography, AIParadise…so much fun one does not realize the underlying lessons!!!
      Glad you dropped in on the game action…;)
      Thanks!

Hey E.! I think electronic games are popular now due to its convenience and portability…old fashion board games I fear are a thing of the past. I also appreciate the folks who are into electronic games but for me, find them time consuming and yikes, it is either gaming or blogging…hmm…guess we have to have our priorities straight. haha.
      Thank you Elizabeth! 🙂

*laughing* I feel just the same, E. and with my recent computer/internet glitches, now everything is backed up– waaaay far back!! 😦

Thank you so much for your kind support!!!

7. Arindam says:

I have never ever heard about this game before. But it sounds interesting. I am sure you are having a great time playing this game. 🙂 Thanks for sharing it, Sunshine.