On World Animal Day: Spying A Squirrel

This week over at Ailsa’s Travel Theme,  Animals are in the spotlight because on October 4th it was World Animal Day!

This past summer, I spied a little squirrel. It was during an intense heat wave that had daytime temperatures soaring over 100 degrees for almost 16 days straight! A thirsty squirrel was trying to get water from a leaky air conditioner unit valve when I caught sight of it from inside an office building.

Being inside and having only a small Kodak Easy Share digital camera, I tried to snap the moment up. The squirrel, however, must have sensed my prying eyes on its back because I barely made a sound, except to breathe just enough not to pass out and to take the picture.

Breathe. Click.

Suddenly, the little squirrel turned, looked at me, and quickly dashed over to the nearest tree. Arrgh!

What can I tell you?

Nothing really except, if you are trying to take a decent photo of a dehydrated squirrel from inside a building, through a dirty glass window with a tiny camera operated by an amateur photographer, it can mean only one thing. . . THIS: (If you want an enlarged slide show version, just click on the first image.)

I hope you enjoyed my summer encounter with a thirsty and camera-shy squirrel!

This reminds me, I would like to step up to another camera that is simple to use and affordable. I am leaning towards the Canon Power Shot series.

You got any thoughts on any of the versions? Or maybe another brand suggestion? I am all ears…

Thanks for spying in on my little squirrel!!

*  * *

What animal do you like to spy on?

* * *

Check out these wonderful contributors below:

Related articles

30 thoughts on “On World Animal Day: Spying A Squirrel

Hi Sunshine–I just called my neighbor (the resident expert on Everything–just ask him, he’ll tell you it’s true)–he has a Canon Powershot A1300. It looks super easy to use, and takes great pics!!

Oh, hey, sis, thanks SO much and tell your neighbor a big thanks too…why we have to have so many versions of everything is overwhelming at times!!!
      Sorry, I have been MIA lately with a tight schedule and it is keeping me away from the blogosphere–fighting my way back!!! I’ll be over asap…
      Thanks for the info…I really appreciate it. 🙂
      Have a super and blessed day!!

• Caddo Veil says:

I agree with you! Seems like, when I was “young”–you went out to buy something and there were 2, maybe 3 options or versions of an item, at most. If a customer’s head is spinning, that ups the chance of a lost sale–in my not always humble opinion. Don’t worry about MIA status–we’re all still here, thinkin’ ’bout our Sunshine. Praying that you’re well–God bless you Big–love, your sis Caddo

Thank you for the prayers, sis, one can ALWAYS use His blessings 24/7…may we find Him in the midst of our busyness… hugs! 🙂

Squirrels are a delight to watch–dashing here and there with their speed and boundless energy!!
      Thanks, Dana for sharing…I truly appreciate your visit. 🙂
      Blessings!

My dog chases the rabbits away so no luck spying on them but I bet the chipmunks are fun to watch. I imagine they are much like squirrels?

Thanks for sharing your eye-spy on animals, Ansuyo, and have yourself a great sunshiny day!! 🙂

2. roughseasinthemed says:

Thank you for the link to my post. I use a Canon PowerShot A530 which is old so probably isn’t made any more. It’s got manual settings as well as auto which I really need to get the hang of. It does far than I get out of it, partly because it is so easy to leave it on auto and invariably get a decent shot.

I keep meaning to get a DSLR, but really think I should find out the capabilities of this one first 😀 I’d certainly get another Canon and I am very happy with this one.

It wasn’t particularly cheap but that’s probably because I bought it in Spain where we live, and unless you go to the tourist areas or big cities decent camera shops and choice are thin on the ground. It was the best of the bunch anyway.

It depends what sort of pix you like to take. If you look on my roughseasinthemed.wordpress.com blog you will see some of the pix I have taken. If you are into animals there are plenty of photos on my dogblog pippadogblog.wordpress.com.

Hope that gives you some food for thought.

Wow, thanks, I am getting nicely filled up with your food for thought…now, it will take some time to digest this all but let me thank you for your feedback.

Your camera may be old but I am sure if they do not make it, Canon will have something close enough…will do some checking on it. It sounds like a great camera having both manual and automatic settings. Thanks!!

How you manage two blogs is amazing…I will head out there when I have more time to do some visits.

Thanks again, Roughseasonthemed! 🙂

Seriously? 5 blogs?? What a wonderful way to use the time we are given…great inspiration you are. Thanks again!
        Have a great day! 🙂

3. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin says:

Yes…love the squirrels…although my poor birds don’t…Mr. Squirrel and his friends are up bright and early to come over from my neighbor’s house across the street…across the street…up my tree…over our roof…down another tree in the back yard…onto the deck to say, “Where’s my breakfast?”…

Haha…too funny Marilyn!! I forgot about the bird community and their run ins with the squirrel community. I see your mornings are very entertaining…just pull up a chair with a cup of hot coffee and enjoy the morning show. I love it!! 🙂

Thank YOU!!!

4. Carol Carlisle says:

Well I have love hate relationship with the squirrels that did up everything in my back yard. Today 10-10 I wrote abut crows a day late. Thanks for the reminder . Dogs are number one with me 🙂

Dogs are by far humans best friend…now, crows and squirrels are more the entertainers and mischief makers…*sigh* never a dull moment with the natural world. Haha…thanks, Carol for swooping in for a chat.
      Have a great day! 🙂

Oh, dear…hope the rabbits don’t eat all your flowers! The rabbits around here never have a chance to rest with our big dog ready to pounce on them…poor things. Glad ya came to spy some…:)

5. Angelia Sims says:

That is such a gorgeous tree and the poor wittle squirrel. Awe! My dogs spy the squirrels from inside the house, but I did spy a RAT running up the tree with a baby in her mouth. She ran back and forth in the pouring rain saving six rat babies. It was both fascinating, and disturbing at the same time. In other words, that tree was a little too close to the house for me. I don’t fancy sharing my bubble with a BIG RAT. Yikes!

• Angelia Sims says:

Oh, and camera. My best advice is check pricing on an entry level DSLR. Canon Rebel or Nikon D5000 or D3000. Sometimes you can get one for just a little more than a nice point and shoot. My thoughts anyway.

Thanks, Angelia!!! I have it down in my notes and will go on research mode soon…I appreciate your thoughts. Where did the simple days go when you only had one or two choices on things???…arrgh!!

Ohh, Angelia, both disturbing and yet what great lengths a mama would go through to save her babies…I think I would be saying your exact words…YIKES!!

Thanks for spending some spy time here…:)

I wish they would refrain from running across the busy road…I feel bad when I see a few as road kill. Sad because they are so cute.
      Thanks. 🙂