Faded photographs are all I have to remember the man I once called Papa. After a long successful career as an overseas dredging captain, Papa, retired on a little island in the Pacific and shortly after, suffered a major heart attack.

The photographs, honestly, are a mixture of sweet and not so sweet memories of a man who lived a bit reckless but always with a generous heart that sometimes did not know the meaning of the word, limitations.

dredge, papa,captain, photograph,construction

Papa, what exactly did you do here?

As a child and even today, I hold a hazy image to exactly what my father’s work involved. All I have are some faded photographs of odd-looking boat-like structures, big steel looking equipment and the memory of a few of his men, coming over to our house to “have-a-few (drinks),” as part of the drinking tradition among the dredging construction workers.

Papa was generous with his hard-earned money. Not only would he not hesitate to buy you the moon, had you asked, he would often host many of these, after work, have-few-drinks-on-the-house, as a regular social activity.

Naturally, his wife, our mother, would not be so happy with this type of generosity, although all his drinking buddies simply adored him. Now, you are probably wondering, why would I cherish faded photographs that remind me of my papa’s lack of sense when it came to his social entertainment.

I wonder myself, I mean what is so charming about a father having one too many drinks, then having loud profane laced arguments with his wife? She  made the fatal mistake of pointing out that if his spending behavior did not improve, his family would soon end up on the streets. Okay, first, never argue with a drunk person because it never will make you a winner. Second, this back and forth confrontations went on for years but surprisingly, our family never ended up in the streets.

Papa always ended every argument with, “Don’t worry about anything; I was born with Lady Luck on my side.”

Well, this was good to know.

workers, pondering, challenge,photograph,construction

Let’s get the job done, boys…

In fact, despite my father’s reckless spending, he always provided everything and more for his family. My mother never had to work outside the home; we always had a nice place to live and food in abundant supply.

In conclusion, my favorite memory of my papa is, I believe he belonged to a dying breed of men that worked hard to provide for their family and generously gave to life what they expected to receive from others, in spite of their personal failings.

Of course, I always will remember Papa as a winner; he had Lady Luck to guide him and left me faded photographs for me to remember him by.

Thanks, Papa! xoxo

***

Have you found cherished and favorite moments in your collection of  faded photographs?

****

Join the fun with the Weekly Writing Challenge: This week’s theme is …A Few of My Favorite Things.

34 thoughts on “Weekly Writing Challenge: A Few of My Favorite Things–Faded Photographs and Papa

Haha, I love your words, Sweet kitten…”not so new pictures…” but I am sure they are very lovely. Pray I can get over to see them…one looks away (from their blog) for a minute and wham! What happened?!?…so many things to catch up on!!
      Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it. 🙂

1. Life in the 50's and beyond... says:

Wonderful…. Yesterday I met with 3 cousins… 2 I hadnt seen in 45 years! One I had never met…. we shared many faded photographs and documents that we had all collected over the years, identified some mystery photos, and found some new perspectives on long lost relatives. I was just thinking of how to turn this experience into a blog.
    (reminded me of the song Traces…. faded photographs….. ♫♪

What a wonderful story, Life in the 50’s.and 45 years!!! OH MY!!!

BTW, I just heard “Traces” on the classic pop/rock station and it’s a lovely song. Well, a bit sad actually but a nice tune.

I love when you can get someone to tell you exactly who someone is or where it was taken. I’m always saying, “now why didn’t they write something on the back!!”

Thank you so much for sharing this memorable event…it is a happy story. You will need to post it even if it is just to keep a record of the event. 🙂

2. philosophermouseofthehedge says:

Great pictures! There’s something about people who make their living around the water – so many are so hard working yet generous – who cultivated friendships and enjoyed life – sometimes living a bit to hard. Is it the life on the water or the ones drawn there?
    Surely he pitched some of that luck to you.

Huh, I never looked at life and the water like you just described it, Philo mouse…now you got me thinking, sailors and them pirates! And now, rum and pirates…ahoy, I better just say thanks and let you go on to have a lovely Sunday… 🙂 Cheers!!

3. rommel says:

Oh my! I think I’m going to end up like your father. I’m a spender myself. I wish my girl right now would be as understanding as your mother who balances things out with your father’s habit. So far so good, I just hope it lasts a lifetime like your parents had.
    A very very nice post, Sunshine. You divulge something personal and your so honest about it. I love how you managed not to take side creating this post. Well done, very well written.

Thank you, Rommel, you are always so kind with your words and I’m sure your gal will see the goodness in your heart. I think that’s how it was for my parents. Deep down my mom knew there was goodness in my papa’s heart.

Just remember to always say, like my papa did after any $ argument: “Don’t worry about anything, I got Lady Luck by my side!!” Haha!

Have yourself a wonderful Sunday, Rommel. 🙂

4. pencil pilot says:

What a nice post, Sunshine. For me, it can be hard to sort out what/how to write about my dad. Thank you for sharing personal reflections…your writing helped me look back, with a new prospective, on some of my own history. Very well done!

Well, do not fret, Pencil Point. It took me awhile to think on writing anything about my papa but now I see, no matter what, we all have some good in us. Some people it is harder to find it, but it is there…somewhere.

Thanks for sharing. 🙂

5. leahJlynn says:

thank you for sharing such a personal side of your life and family. very brave of you,.. it sounds like your father may have had some great parts to him though.

Hi Leahjlynn,
      Yes, I believe we all have goodness within us, just some make it harder to find…but it is there. 😉

Thanks for the visit and sharing in the conversation. I appreciate yOu. 🙂

A great thing about writing, it takes you places you tend to leave dormant and collecting cobwebs…thank you, Elizabeth, not only for sharing but spending a few (so precious) minutes to visit.
      🙂

6. angelswhisper2011 says:

Sunshine, this story about your father is simular to my father. In fact it was my grandfather, I was raised by my grandparents, and he was a hard worker and drinker too and my grandma was the one who kept everything in order. Every picture of that times is special and full of memories. Have a wonderful sunday 🙂

I tell ya, Angelswhisper, it is those women who, and I do not know how they do it, put up with so much nonsense…I believe they are living saints and hope the inconsiderate ones realize in the end how much these women kept them from losing everything.

Your heartfelt story is a fine example of a woman I am saying is a living saint! 🙂
      Thank you, and my Sunday was picture perfect!

7. managingemergencies says:

Excellent story and well told. You are lucky to have a papa that loved you and you felt that. those photographs, I am sure he hoped you would treasure them one day. As a father I hope my children will communicate about me as you have so honored your father with your posts. I was truly touched and I enjoyed your story more than I have enjoyed most of the posts I have seen since I began reading blogs. Your papa would be proud. I am proud for him.

Thank you so much for sharing and bringing such encouraging words, Managing Emergencies. As I read a few of your posts, I am sure your children will find an honorable father in the making.

Sometimes, it takes a child to grow up and live a little before they truly find the “gold” that lives within every caring parent.

~Abundant blessings to you. 🙂