Weekly Image Of Life: A Lifetime Of Memories–On God

“Nothing else is required than to act toward God, in the midst of your occupations, as you do, even when busy, toward those who love you and whom you love.”  ~St. Alphonsus Liguori

How does a person “act toward God,” and how does a person simply remember their faith journey?  I have no recollection of my baptism and today, my religious memories are just snippets of faith teachings here and there. But what if God was sitting next to me as I write this, or should I say, how would I act in front of him? Would my actions change because I know God is sitting right next to me? What memories do I want to remember about my God? What faith memories do I have??

Nothing comes to mind about my baptism, I do remember nuns, so I did get baptized early and I did go to Catholic schools, but not consistently. Since my family had very weak ties to the church, I took it upon myself to follow-up after high school to get confirmed with the Catholic Church. Confirmation is just a teen Catholic thing, in my opinion, and really, my memory of the whole thing is simply, a big blur.

As you can tell, my sparse Catholic upbringing without a strong family support did nothing to build a lifetime of faith building memories. I could say, I am a product of my upbringing. Thankfully, I can go on a, do-it-yourself, mini spiritual exercise,called, What If…, to overcome my lack of lifetime faith memories that lives dormant within me.

What if God paid me a visit, now…

God,memories,weekly image of life,faith,Christianity,life,

I actually would pull up a chair and politely ask God, ” Please, have a seat.”

Now, I look over at him and think, hmm, this is the great Divine, the One most revered and He is sitting next to me!! What should I say or do??

Nervously, I shamefully say, “Would you like a beer? I have an extra can, not chilled, but you can have it over ice. Maybe, coffee or tea, perhaps?”

I fidget in my chair and frantically think, girl, say something…but what? What can I say to God who is sitting next to me that He does not know already?

Randomly I blurt out, “Uh, you know Roxy, my hen, passed on yesterday. Of course, you knew all about that but still, just in case you had other things going on, and uh, what is up with the thermostat turned way up to 115 degrees?? Just wondering…”

(He wants to know what I am up to.)

“Oh, this, uh, it is blogging. A bunch of us bloggers share what we know or have talent for on a page called a post and then we publish it over the blogosphere. I am just a rookie, still learning all the ins and outs and making mistakes left and right.”

He nods approvingly, I hope.

“Papa, (I call Him that) we have a lifetime of memories, right? Maybe one day you will tell me the story of how you created me and the story of all your hopes and dreams you anticipated I would carry out for you? I need to hear these stories…please?”

****

Crazy, I know, but, What If...is a mini exercise that helps put God back into perspective because:

I sometimes forget what is important in life.

I forget that a lifetime of memories comes not only with special celebrations, cherished moments with loved ones, with every pain and heartache endured up to this point, but also through the imagination.

I forget that nothing else is required from me, that my life can go on as ordinary or extraordinary, and the only thing required is simply to point all my actions towards God.

*****

“Papa, I love you. Thank you for every life memory, happy, sad, tough and good times,  imprinted on my heart. I may have forgotten many of the spiritual ones, but the ones I do remember, I want to hold on to them tightly because I do not ever want to forget…You.”

If you would like inspiration every week, please hop on over to Island Traveler’s, Weekly Image Of Life: A Lifetime Of Memories.

****

Now, it’s your turn: What if God paid you a visit, now…

21 thoughts on “Weekly Image Of Life: A Lifetime Of Memories–On God

And a good place to be in, Angelia,…resting in His strong yet gentle arms

thank you, you spark the imagination and bring Him into reality.
      Have a great weekend! 🙂

1. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin says:

Well…you sure do know how to pick the subjects…because this one I just love!…I would love a one on one conversation …face to face with God…So many questions…But, I do talk to Him every day…so maybe He knows I don’t really need to see Him…to believe…Maybe that’s what it’s about!…Faith…I know this has inspired a new blog for me…Thanks Sunshine…

2. Eryn Wong says:

Mind-blasting… I think my reaction will be somehow like yours… I might spill something and trip myself and can’t speak properly for I will be so nervous. Keke… Really like the way you put it and a nice reminder to me to remember Him always. XOXO

Lol, Eryn, somehow I cannot see you, the girl of elegance and grace, spilling or tripping…but then again, I think I would be too!! I think our minds cannot go that far into His divine space…it is too awesome. 🙂
      It is great to see you and thanks for sharing in the what if…;)

Oh SIS! I’ve got tears in my eyes–this is truly an anointed “post”. What a lovely, lovely slice of an ordinary day, visit, with Papa (I LOVE that). Sis, I too, had to make my journey of faith without family support, so I know that makes it harder than for folks who grow up in a family with solid faith. I’ll try to be brief here, and say that I knew God called on me Early in life. I was pretty clueless about Him, and frankly scared when I got “saved” in an evangelical Lutheran summer Bible camp at age 13 or 14. But I can say today, “God bless the broken road that led me”–because He was there every step of the way, even when I couldn’t see/hear/feel Him. And now, He sits in His recliner as I go about my blog biz and household chores–and there are times when I can practically SEE Him, and certainly HEAR Him. His loving Papa voice is especially wonderful when He says, “Settle, settle” (when I’m all worked up), or when He laughs and cheers for me (about each new victory–or even a new poem!). Hope that wasn’t overly long–I could talk about Him all day! God bless you, Sunshine, as you stay close to Him and talk about ordinary stuff with Him–I happen to think He’s very interested in the blogosphere, because I believe He authored it for the purpose of bringing His family together, those of us who wouldn’t have met on earth, otherwise. This way, we’ll recognize one another when we get to Heaven!! Sorry to run on so–much love to you, sis Caddo

I love the way you define ‘brief,’ sis, lol, but how else could you have said such meaningful words without being, ahem, ‘brief?’ I do not know about tomorrow or if heaven is the place He will have me, but I do know I still have a lot to learn from and about my loving Papa.
      ~May He keep us always in his care and fill our hearts with love and peace…thanks, sis for sharing your faith journey–a lifetime of memories in the making, for sure.:)

4. angelswhisper2011 says:

He was just sitting next to me while I was reading your post, Sunshine, and I didn’t say anything, only smiled. Your post is a reminder for me that He’s always nearby. Thank you for the share 🙂

So sweet, Angelswhisper…except, what is his name? How I only knew of Big Binky’s name but not your partner in crime blogging kitty, I do not know!! (not paying attention while reading your post!) Lol! Glad you stopped by you and ….Big Binky’s friend. 😉

5. island traveler says:

Your words comes from a heart full of love, faith and honesty. So moving my friend. This words struck me a lot, “Papa, I love you. Thank you for every life memory, happy, sad, tough and good times, imprinted on my heart. I may have forgotten many of the spiritual ones, but the ones I do remember, I want to hold on to them tightly because I do not ever want to forget…You.” You have a beautiful lifetime of memories. Well shared and celebrated with the people you love and a God who shares your hopes and dreams everyday. Thanks and best wishes to you and your family.

Thank you, Island T…you are so supportive and encouraging. Btw, you had a few posts sent out but when I tried to open it, it did not show a post. It was from my google reader and maybe it is on my end…okay, will try again.
      Thank you!!!