Force Yourself

Force, Harrison Ford, savings, self-help, life, personal finances, birthday

Photo credit: Wikipedia

Well, Gypsy Mama-Five Minute Friday host– is off to the lake for a bit of fun and relaxation and (*gasp*), her vacation site  has no internet source so here we are, left without a Five Minute writing prompt.

However, not to worry, like a good mama she is, Lisa-Jo shared:  Because your Story Matters… an encouraging post to keep creating while she is away from her desk and to keep life flowing.

Today is Harrison Ford’s birthday. You know the action guy from Indiana Jones and Hans Solo from the Star Wars trilogy movies. Yep, on this day, July 13, 1942, Harrison arrived onto planet earth. It is no biggie, really, just sharing a bit of Hollywood birthday trivia with you.

Raise your hand if you remember this trivia, famous line from Star Wars:

“May the Force be with you.”

Harrison went on further and said:

“The Force is within you.
Force yourself.”

I find this quote so applicable when it comes to saving money.

Parents, teach your children to save money early in life so when they become the responsible and successful adults you imagined they would be; saving their earned money would be as natural as breathing and not a labored and forced activity.

Therefore, I am taking Mr. Harrison’s advice and leaving you not only bits of trivia but a charming financial tip for the day:

Force yourself to ‘gently’ grab the dollars you earned by the ears and march them straight into your savings account–the minimum is ten percent of what you earned–ignore all the resistance and take no ifs, ands, or buts…force yourself…your future depends on it.

*************************

What do you need to ‘grab by the ears’ and force yourself to do?

************

14 thoughts on “Force Yourself

Oh but–there’s so ma-n-n-n-n-n-n-ny! Whine whine. I’m cogitating on the “save money” thing. Since I live on a very meager disability check, I don’t save–I pat myself on the back that I can tithe faithfully! I’m wondering though–maybe I could set a lower savings amount goal–5% instead of 10%; that might work. It’s tough though–when I say meager, I mean considerably less than a thou a month. Not whining on this, just stating reality. The other issue I could/should grab by the ears is e-x-e-r-c-i-s-e (I have to spell it in a whisper so my body won’t freak out totally). My current excuse is that it’s too humid/hot–more whining; the all-weather excuse, though, is that I don’t have enough time (because my blog is “oh so important, doncha know?” Vanity–thy name is blogger Caddo) Okay, I’m just rambling like I don’t have my own blog to talk on… God bless you today, Sunshine! Love, sis Caddo

You, Caddo, always have me chuckling and laughing when I read what you put across the page…seriously, you better grab (exercise) by the ears and don’t take any sass
      from it either. Just do it! The 10% tithe and savings is just the ideal for starters but what I learned is whatever you can do to implement the tithe and savings is what you do. So, if you can tithe and save at only 5% each, that’s better than nothing. The first thing we had to do was work at building an emergency fund of a thousand $. If we only could do a penny a day, fine. Just do it until it reaches the thousand. It may take a lot longer but at least you are actively working–baby stepping–towards financial freedom.
      There is a Dave Ramsey website and he has lots of free articles you may want to check out… anyway, I hear you about exercising in hot weather…awful.
      Thanks for sharing sis, and abundant wisdom and peace to you! 🙂

2. Monica says:

Love me some Harrison Ford!

And while you’re on the topic of saving money, have you heard of Impulse Save? It’s a pretty cool little site. You sign up and open a savings account at the same time. Link the account you’d like to save from and create a goal or goals to wave towards. Now here’s the fun part…you start saving by either going to the site or by texting something like “$10 to my vacation fund that I saved by taking my lunch to work today.” You get an immediate response congratulating your for your thriftiness and at the end of the week, Voila! That money automatically gets sent to your savings account.

*chuckling* over your opening line…

Hmmn, no, I am not at all familiar with Impulse Save. It sounds like it puts ‘fun’ into saving $s and that
      is a good, good thing since saving $s is rather a chore and difficult to boot!
      Thanks for the info, and I think the immediate positive strokes is what I need to keep saving consistently.

3. Judee says:

Harrison Ford….. Lol, as for saving, I have my own small way, but can’t seem to manage anything big. I save my change. Put it all in a bowl, and when the bowl is full, I go to the bank and put it in my savings account. Not a lot, but it’s a way to save without having to budget in or out other things.

Hey Judee,
      I like your idea of the ‘bowl saving’ plan. Not only is it easy but as you say without having to deal with the budget thing–I’m off to
      get my bowl now! 🙂
      Thanks!

4. angelswhisper2011 says:

Every week I give the bank permission to take off some money, only small amounts like 2,12 euro (2,58 dollar), or 1,08 euro (1,32 dollar), or whatever you want and put it on my saving account. After a year I saved about 1,500 dollar. It’s our fun-account, so we spend it if we want to, or just let it on the save-account.
    It must be only very small amounts, otherwise it doesn’t work. Like you said: you have to force yourself. Have a nice weekend 🙂

Oh, it’s like a direct deposit within the bank system, right? What a wonderful idea and so easy to have the bank do the transaction–I will have to check on this.
      Thanks for the great idea, Angelswhisper, and hey, small is better than zero/nothing/zip.
      May the Force be with you this week! lol!