Adventure: A Simple Approach in Climbing out from Debt-Hole

“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”

~William Feather

Finance, debt,weekly life image,debt-free, dave ramsey

(Photo credit: Flickr)

Life is an adventure, yet sometimes, if we are not careful, our life can become a bad traffic jam, void of all fun adventures, perhaps turning into a real long nightmare.

For example, a bad habit to have, I know, I used to have it, is spending money you do not have. Yep, that is right…you want it all…you think you have the unlimited cash flow to have it all…but in reality, you have a simple plastic card. That little plastic credit card, if you view it as an unlimited cash supply from your best bud, Bill Gates (Microsoft’s Superman), then, my friend, your reality is not from this planet. Unless you are Bill Gates, and/or he is your best bud, then, hey, you can skip out and move on to the next post.

It is plain and simple. If you want to get the most out of life, also experience great adventures, you have to be living life outside the Debt-Hole.

Simple. How are you going to wake up each day, excited and ready to tackle whatever is on your agenda if you have a zillion creditors hounding you via the phone, the internet, the snail mail the, well, anywhere they can find you, just so they can get the money you stole borrowed from them?

You cannot until you jump back into your car and drive until you return the cash stash you thought was yours.

If you find yourself in this situation, know that there are folks waiting and ready to help you climb out of your bad financial debt-hole. Depending on how deep you dug your hole, and yes, it may take a long time if you dug down deep, you can get out and begin the smooth drive onto the road of good life adventures.

When looking for financial help, I looked for a simple approach. There is nothing like having money terminology and formulas thrown at you so you drive immediately to the nearest store–Wal-Mart works nicely– and start impulse shopping because you failed to get that Master’s degree in Finance!

So, when my church offered the Dave Ramsey, Financial Peace University classes, it was the ‘tow truck’ I needed to get myself out of the big messy Debt-Hole.

Check out this simple summary of Dave’s approach to getting debt-free:

• Create a budget
  • Take baby steps to start an emergency fund and start to pay off all personal debt except your home debt
  • More baby steps to add a retirement, college fund and paying off your house off early
  • A bit more baby steps to K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple, Stupid) investing
  • *OUCH* cut up all your credit cards…

Every day, time travels on. We can choose to spend each of these moments incredibly enjoying life’s happiness or chained to our own unchecked string of bad financial habits; thus, putting up road blocks on all good adventures waiting to be discovered.

from a wise unknown writer:

Have LESS. Do MORE. Be MORE.

**************************

Is there a financial approach/people you follow that have kept your life debt-free and blessed with fun adventures?

*************

Please, drive yourself over to This Man’s Journey and enjoy another Weekly Image Of Life: Adventure.

30 thoughts on “Adventure: A Simple Approach in Climbing out from Debt-Hole

1. Arindam says:

Great post Sunshine. I always believe that I must live a debt free life and to be honest I do not find it difficult as my demands from life is less. 🙂

It’s a good thing you keep your finances in perspective early in life and not go overboard with spending, Arindam–
      you will make a fine family man one day and teach good skills to your children…your parents did a fine job. 🙂
      Peace!

Been there, I confess–such a “slipperly” slope, those dang credit cards. I thought I could buy my way to happy–‘course I was wrong. Now I have peace of mind and great JOY, being “poor”! God bless you, Sunshine!

Correction Caddo: ‘poor’ materially, but rich spiritually…I would say you are properly balanced in the eyes of eternity.
      May His light always shine upon you. 🙂

• Caddo Veil says:

That’s why I put it in quotes–I don’t feel poor by a long shot, believe you me!!! I’ve got poetry, a great blog family–and the company of God 24/7–“who could ask for anything more?” (Singing the song through duct tape lips–just practicing!) Sending you a hug–love, sis Caddo

Oh, yea, sorry, I failed to see the “&” marks on the “poor” haha. I gotcha! I knew you knew that so it was just to get it on permanent…as in writing. 😉

Duct tapes are quite colorful and patterned these days…you’ ll be a hit singer for sure. 🙂

• Caddo Veil says:

You know what–I just recently discovered duct tape in a gorgeous selection!! I had NO idea, thought I was stuck with silver–so yeah, I’m planning on coordinating with my outfits, for sure!! Hmmm, wonder if I can do a haiku about that….just give me a month or 2!

haha…it would be you to think haiku and duct tape 😉 i’m thinking now with your recent design discovery, that haiku may come sooner than in a months time.
        🙂

• Caddo Veil says:

Yah, haiku challenge sounds WAY more do-able than that saving money idea…arrgghh. I hear those preachers talking about 10% tithe is just the minimum, that they double tithe, blah blah–well, if I had a mega church, etc, I’d be more than glad to up my tithe. I’d like to see them do it on 771/mo (oooh, Caddo’s cranky to-night–where are the cookies??)

whenever i hear the words–mega church–i think epic fail of robert schuller’s monstrous mega church! i believe tithing should not only be about $s but
        giving our time as part of the tithe contribution.
        haha, cranky is good sometimes, sis! Go on, be cranky…it’s all part of the plan if it helps bring about a better person tomorrow. 🙂

• Caddo Veil says:

You’re an amazingly gracious sister, Sunshine–bless your heart, and I’m not cranky today so that’s a good thing. Yeah, the Schuller deal–pretty sad. Whether you’re big potatoes or small–pride still goes before a fall.

You have a blessed week, Sis–I pray for you every night! love, sis Caddo

3. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin says:

Do you read your blogger’s minds…Just redid some financial rearranging…Good or bad is yet to see…But, I believe with all of our investigating… it’s good… have cut interest rate almost in half… we always check things out thoroughly…I do believe we have become a society of buy now…pay later…and usually things we don’t need…Sometimes it’s hard for others to listen when you say, I can’t do something…but, they will just have to start!…because our “budget” is in place and we are in for the long haul…~mkg

Haha, Marilyn, I don’t know about reading blogger’s minds…lol, it may be way over my simple mind but fun at times.
      That’s great you got your interest rate cut in half and yes, I agree, we do live in a society that expects one to live on credit, stay in debt and pretend to be a happy lot.
      I’m so glad I finally got off the roller coaster ride…MKG
      ~Many blessings as you continue on your adventure towards the debt-free life! 🙂

4. philosophermouseofthehedge says:

Buy quality that lasts. Avoid trends. Coupons and watch prices (Walmart is actually higher than other stores for some items). And remember the old philosophy: somewhere someone is throwing away exactly what you need or are looking for. (oddly true)

I’m still not getting the hang of Coupons, Philo mouse–seems like it takes a bit long time collecting them and remembering which ones I have when I get to the store.
      I can hear the cashiers thoughts now, “oh, no, not her, she’s a mess when it comes to using her coupons!” and customers behind me, sighing and giving me the
      ‘stink’ eye cuz I’m taking so long…
      I think I need more practice.
      thanks, and yes, thrift stores are great places!!!

• philosophermouseofthehedge says:

Coupons – only cut out the ones you actually use (do not be charmed by those others – it makes it a chore).
        Keep them in a clear baggie in your purse. (place like products together. Every month or so throw away out dated ones)
        Clip possible coupons to your shopping list each time. (So you know which ones may be used)
        Just before you check out, stand apart and pull out the ones you can use that purchase. Then get in line.
        I do not go on line to get coupons for products, but have been told you can save a lot doing that – but it takes time.
        If you are organized, checkout doesn’t take any longer – (but I avoid lines with huge basket loads of stuff and someone who looks like they have a ton of coupons. Those massive coupon queens should go during low traffic hours)
        Hint: the Sunday coupons generally tell you what the grocery products the store will put on sale that week – so the coupons are worth more. (but once again, be very selective what you cut out)
        I don’t cut/carry many coupons – too much trouble, but the few I use do make a difference ($5-$10 a trip).
        Maybe some of this will help. Good luck

Hey, thanks, Philo mouse! Oh, tell me about those coupon queens!! Okay, there was a lady who had so many coupons…I bet she had every item in her wagon that had a coupon to go with it. I was like…OH-MY-GOODNESS! Plus, she was going on, and on, (to the poor, overworked cashier) about how this other store was cheaper on several items, so she was going to go there after…and, I just withered totally into pieces. How did she do that??
        I am going to try your method, however, and I just hope I never become like the lady I just described–scary!
        Hey, saving 5-10 dollars is not bad at all.
        Thanks!

5. angelswhisper2011 says:

I don’t want to have debts, because I can buy so much more of the interest and I also don’t want the bank/shop run away with the interest. I’ve been there before and was living without almost nothing to spend. It was a kind of addiction as well, wanting to have everything, coming from a kind of agitation in myself, but now I’ve learnt to find inner peace I always ask myself: do I need this or just greed it? I’ve set up a new financial plan and live in freedom ever since. Wow, isn’t that great 🙂

It is great, Angelswhisper! Living debt free is definitely the path to inner peace. Yay!
      I’m happy to hear you also have found a new financial plan that is bringing you to freedom and peace of mind.
      🙂
      Thanks for sharing…

6. munchow says:

The debt-hole is destroying so many lives these days – some are self-inflicted and some cause by outside factors. But the fact is that modern consumer society is creating an unnatural craving for ever more things, leading to ever more debt for some people. Beside making a budget and do the small steps you refer to to get out of a debt situation, I would also add that a simpler life with less things, is not only less expensive – and thus creating less debt, but it’s even more fulfilling. Very nice post!

Hi there, Otto! Nice to see you in the neighborhood…yes, you are so right in that we are living in a time where for most of us, lack for nothing. I got a lot from your journey to the–was it the Sahara?–anyway, to the place where the people were so poor and here, we have too much!! Once I got rid of the credit card mentality, life became easier, more peaceful and as you say, simpler. whew…some of us have to learn the hard way…
      I appreciate your tip and I definitely am moving to the ‘have less is best’ attitude. 😉

7. Angelia Sims says:

I hear so many great things about his program. Very wise advice! My ex-husband got into crazy debt, unfortunately, it was using my name and good credit. Yikes! I had to file bankruptcy after the divorce, but I am debt-free and credit less. 🙂 Probably NOT the best way to do it. I like your way better. 🙂

Angelia, good thing you got rid of your ex, but *ouch,* what an after shock! I am glad you got yourself to the point of debt-free living…so much peace comes with it.
      Another aspect of Dave Ramsey that I like is he spends a fair amount of time teaching parents how they should be training their children in personal finances. I figure if you start early enough, the kids could have a nice adult life without all the dumb financial mistakes. 🙂
      I do thank you for sharing and hopefully you will be able to find a Financial Peace program in your area…
      Take care

8. island traveler says:

I can so totally relate. I came to America without a debt but now I’m trying to stay afloat from debt and other consequences of commercialism. I learned the hard way and as you mentioned in your steps, my goal is to be debt free. Consolidation helps a lot, getting rid of credit cards a must, must goal and living within your means is one priceless lifestyle that we all should make. “If you want to get the most out of life, also experience great adventures, you have to be living life outside the Debt-Hole.” Truth hurts but it’s better to hurt than to drown and live a miserable life. It’s never too late to be out of darkness and hardship. All we need is faith and a heart determined to change. Thanks for sharing all these. A must read for all!

A cold hard fact…yes, one can survive without a credit card. *gasp!*
      Your words, Island T. is the message all of us needs to read:
      …living within your means is one priceless lifestyle that we all should make…
      >Truth hurts but it’s better to hurt than to drown and live a miserable life.
      >It’s never too late to be out of darkness and hardship.
      >All we need is faith and a heart determined to change.

Thank you.
      May He strengthen us all to be wise stewards and manage our lifestyles to reflect His goodness.