You’re Terrific… E.B. White: Memorable Quotes to Honor Your Birthday

To the terrific, E.B. White, the American essayist…Columnist…Editor and Poet–

THANK YOU for teaching us on many things but especially about friendships, writing and random thoughts.

On friendships and Charlotte’s Web:

“Trust me, Wilbur. People are very gullible. They’ll believe anything they see in print.”

*************************

“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.”

E.B. White, Charlotte's Web, friendship, writer, nature, writing, historical birthday

Salutations!

“You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that.”

**************************

On writing and random things:

“Be obscure clearly! Be wild of tongue in a way we can understand.”

*****

“I admire anybody who has the guts to write anything at all.”

*****

“You’re terrific as far as I am concerned.”

*****

“Advice to young writers wo want to get ahead without any annoying delays: don’t write about Man, write about a man.”

*****

“I have yet to see a piece of writing, political or non-political, that does not have a slant. All writing slants the way a writer leans, and no man is born perpendicular.”

*****

“Semi-colons only prove that the author has been to college.”

*****

“Writing is an act of faith, not a trick of grammar.”

*****

“A writer’s style reveals something of his spirit, his habits, his capacites, his bias…it is the Self escaping into the open.”

*****

“Writing is both mask and unveiling.”

*****

“A writer who waits for ideal conditions under which to work will die without putting a word to paper.” (my personal favorite when suffering from a writer’s block…)

*****

On spelling and Stuart Little:

“Well,” said Stuart, “a misspelled word is an abomination in the sight of everyone.”

*****

E.B. White–7/11/1899 to 1/10/1985

Rest in peace

*****************************

What are your thoughts on the legend, E.B. White?

***************

Quote source on E.B. White

28 thoughts on “You’re Terrific… E.B. White: Memorable Quotes to Honor Your Birthday

How wonderful to have these precious words of E.B. White to inspire and encourage one another and continue to create not because we have to, but because of the passion within us just flows out.
      My thanks to you, Adinparadise for sharing and visiting…

Oh Sunshine–this is WAY Beyond Wonderful, every single word. Thank you so much–it really lifts me, affirms me, as I struggle with grief and insecurities (always–does that count as a “cross to bear”? never mind). Can I print the whole post, I wonder??? It’s okay if the answer is “no”. Just so you know, I’m awfully glad you and I are in each others web–God bless you BIG–love, sis Caddo

I was so pressed for time this morning and knew my, rest-of-the-day/night would prevent me from posting if I did not get something out first thing in the morning.So, I felt rushed and stressed…slapped it together and hit the publish button. Now I come back and what I worried about you took care of, sis–thanks! I am so happy you found something helpful.
      and your words… ‘you and I are in each others web’ is real clever. I love it!
      thank yOu!
      ps…yea, i think, ‘cross to bear’ means the things we struggle with but are working on remedying…who knows? lol

You probably didn’t realize E.B. walking around until 1985 because you may have been absorbed with your senior photo picture–you know, getting it just right.
      I mean, it must be hard when you have to coordinate your two head shots. LOL
      Did I just hear you singing the, Itsy, Bitsy Spider song?? Hmmn…

What a classic book…Charlotte’s Web…Radiant, Humble, Terrific and Some Pig

Hey, my thanks to you, Monica for your wonderful post honoring the master, E.B. White.
      ~Abundant light and peace

2. angelswhisper2011 says:

Sunshine, his statements were very wise and clever, they’re all terrific. Unfortunantely I haven’t red his books… but I’ve seen Stuart Little and Charlotte’s Web 🙂

Angelswhisper, I think you would fall in love immediately with the book, Charlotte’s Web. Even though it’s a children’s book, I still find much joy rereading it over and over again. Wilbur, that’s the pig, finds a wonderful friend named Charlotte. I still need to see the movie versions of both of those books…man, I am so behind the times!
      Hope you are getting along without your Big Binky…take care 🙂

3. Arindam says:

Sunshine what a great collection you have shared with this post. Simply beautiful and meaningful. 🙂 Each of the quote is so inspiring.

Mr. E.B. was a wonderful writer and I so love his quotes about writing…they are very inspiring.
      I’m happy you found some you liked. Thanks, Arindam for sharing and visiting. 🙂

Thank you and I say, all credit to the great master, E.B. White who left us these great words of wisdom.
      Peace and light going out to you, Ansuyo. 🙂