SUNDAY POST :Famous Movies– On Tradition with the Fiddler on the Roof

In the famous movie, Fiddler on the Roof, the main character, Tevye delightfully takes us through his meager lifestyle as a poor Jewish milkman and humorously lets us know that:

Fiddler on the Roof (film)

Fiddler on the Roof (film) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Traditions, traditions. Without our traditions, our lives would be as shaky as… as… as a fiddler on the roof!”

For Tevye, his three unmarried daughters decide to challenge the traditional Matchmaker as a way to find a suitable husband. The Matchmaker is the town gossip and you must see the movie on the ‘matches’ Tevye’s daughters would end up with if tradition has its way.

(*If you have not seen this movie, it is a great classic film for a summer movie night with the family.)

In defining tradition:

• It is the transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation, or the fact of being passed on in this way.
  • A long-established custom or belief that has been passed on in this way.

Definitely, some traditions are keepers such as:

My personal traditions that I could break with:

Finally, my favorite lesson from Tevye on tradition:

“Because of our traditions, we have kept our balance for many, many years. Here in Anatevka, we have traditions for everything: how to how to eat, how to sleep, how to wear clothes. For instance, we always keep our heads covered, and always wear a little prayer-shawl. This shows our constant devotion to God. You may ask, how did this tradition start? I’ll tell you. I don’t know.

But it’s a tradition. And because of our traditions, every one of us knows who he is, and what God expects him to do. ”

Do you agree traditions are a good way to let us know who we are?

What traditions are you passing on and ones you breaking out of?

17 thoughts on “SUNDAY POST :Famous Movies– On Tradition with the Fiddler on the Roof

1. restlessjo says:

Funnily enough my Sunday Post answers your question in part. On the negatives, I do find Sunday lunch a pain sometimes. I’d rather be out and about but invariably I’m at the cooker. Dad comes over every week so what can you do!

Hi Johanna! I did enjoy your Star War tour…those eggs you created with your son was adorable! I do thank you for visiting and I betcha your Sunday visits with your papa is quite precious. I miss those times. Thanks again, Restless Jo! 🙂

2. Russel Ray Photos says:

I like traditions, but I tend to make my own. I never got involved in the Christmas gift-giving frenzy so I have no need for Black Friday. However, I had to break with life in order to start anew, and I did that by moving from Texas to California in 1993. Now all of my traditions are my own, like going to the Zoo on Christmas Day………….

Whoa, Russel, moving clear across America is definitely a radical statement and probably the best way to start your own traditions. I love it!
      Thanks for sharing and I bet you didn’t have to fight the crowd at the zoo on Christmas Day! 😉

• Russel Ray Photos says:

I actually go to the Zoo, Safari Park, or SeaWorld on holidays — Christmas, New Years, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving. I go when they open at 9:00 a.m. because no one else does. By 1:00 p.m. when I leave, the crowds have arrived.

3. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin says:

Have to say…I love traditions…keeps us grounded…letting us know who we are and where we came from…Have followed many along the way but, life has made new ones…not so bad…change is good too…Liked this post …~mkg

You are very kind Marilyn, thank you for your time and thoughts…yes, traditions, er, some, do help keep us grounded and new ones are good too. Keeps us on our toes so we don’t get too ‘flabby’ in life…:) ~have a wonderful day

Who can resist poor Tevye and his rambling conversation with God…and when he talks about his poor horse–makes me smile every time! Thanks Elizabeth. 🙂

4. angelswhisper2011 says:

Goodnorning, Sunshine. I broke a lot of traditions serveral years ago, precisely when I became 40 years old. One of the traditions I broke are celebrating birthdays, not of the children, but of the grown ups, and it’s a relief.

Anything that brings relief is a very good idea, Angelswhisper. Everyday is a blessing and a celebration so why not make everyday a ‘birth’ day…may you have many fun ‘birth’ days this week. 🙂
      Thanks for sharing 😉