Not Just An Ordinary Day. . . It’s International Day of the African Child

You wake up and it’s June 16. Seems like an ordinary day coming on, but wait…history flashback:

Soweto Uprising 1976

where an estimated 20,000 black schoolchildren participated in a protest demanding a better quality education and the right that their education be in their own language.

International Day of the African Child, Soweto uprising, June 16, historical event

“The schoolboy, with his satchel in his hand,
Whistling aloud to bear his courage up.
~Robert Blair

Since June 16, 1991, the International Day of the African Child honors about 176 protesters killed during this event and in South Africa, a pubic holiday continues to celebrate the memory of those courageous youth as Youth Day.

International Day of the African Child, historical event, Soweto uprising

Soweto Uprising 1976

In this ordinary day, June 16, may we continue to raise awareness in those and ourselves for the “continuing need for improvement of the education provided” not only to the African child but every child who lacks in the right to be properly educated.

Has an ordinary day for you become more important because of a courageous historical event?

18 thoughts on “Not Just An Ordinary Day. . . It’s International Day of the African Child

• Caddo Veil says:

‘Mornin’, Sunshine–I wanted to thank you for the tutorial re clearing browsers (let’s see how long I can keep that in my fuzzy little brain–oh, I could make notes!). I didn’t clear everything, but most of it; if necessary, I’ll go back and do all of it–I haven’t tried yet, to see if that fixed the “issue”.

I’ve done the Forum bit several times now–and I’ll check today, to see if anyone has responded–do they NOT send you an email? I guess it’s up to me to check the Forum.

The reason I don’t have an up-to-date browser is because it causes issues elsewhere, and my tech told me “newer is not always better”.

As far as blog visiting/commenting–the one thing I can successfully do, is like today: I came here as though I was a stranger, then signed in to leave my comment–rather than already being signed in at CV, or through my email program. I’ll get it worked out–it’s just been a giant week-long headache. And I now know it’s not just moi–others are having the same issues–which tells me it’s WP, and not my browser or anything I’m doing or not doing. Right??

Anyway, you’re just the BEST to be so supportive of me, and help me with practical suggestions–I love you to pieces, and am wishing you a glorious Sunday. I’m headed to online church now! God bless you–love, sis Caddo

Hey Caddo,
        Whatever you did kept this comment out of the spam box so you must have fixed something. I think Forum you have to check back but they may have a box to check if you want an email alert. Your second to the last paragraph is confusing me but one thing I do notice is your blog site has appeared in my subscriber list at least twice now. That means, you must have not been following this blog and suddenly you are a follower again. I noticed it twice now. It’s the yo-yo effect…hehe.

You may want to check http://onecoolsitebloggingtips.com/ every once in awhile. Time thief has lots of cool advice and she helps in the forum as well.

I just love life’s glitches–they always add spice to life and helps us to grow wiser too. 🙂
        Abundant blessings!

• Caddo Veil says:

Thanks for more tips! I’m “following” but not “email subscribed” to anyone I don’t think… Still working on finding a reliable way to keep with with my faves! See ya later (possibly in spam)! God bless you!

No, this was not in spam–yay!
        Have you thought of using a reader, like say, Google Reader to keep up with your subscribers? It’s an easy way to do it or maybe you do already. Glad to see you got out of spam prison. 🙂

• Caddo Veil says:

“Google Reader”? That’s one more thing I’m not familiar with–if you have time and inclination, could you educate me on that? Is it part of the Google Plus circle of fans/friends thing?

Great bargains are God’s extra blessings in life–gotta love His sense of style!!

Now sis, Caddo, I told you to stop dropping into the spam box!! You must have a magnet on ya because it seems to be pulling ya in sis.

There are various readers and Google reader is just one. You sign up with Google and set up the reader part. It’s not connected to the Google Plus but you can be part of it if you want to.

Anyway, once you get your reader, you add all your favorite subscribers into the reader and it will walk you through setting up how you want to read your subscribers. In essence, it’s like a book you put together with all your subscribers in it. Once you have your subscribers in place, you just sit back and open which blog post you want to read or you can go ahead and open a certain blog site and it will drop down every post that blogger has posted. You then select what you want to read.
        I hope you are getting this. Lol. Maybe one of your subscribers can explain it better and you may want to research on which reader you prefer…
        I hope this helped…
        See ya and lots of power to ya. 🙂

• Caddo Veil says:

Thanks, Sunshine–I’m gonna owe you a BIG bowl of banana pudding, or something. Will check out the Google reader next!

1. souldipper says:

What an important celebration to remember. I saw the children in the Townships doing so many great activities that express who they are – with a flair for colour, music and raw joy! I know there is lots of hardship not available for foreign eyes. I know… May the children keep being heard.

This is wonderful news, Souldipper, and I’m happy to hear about the activities, music and simply celebrating and yes, may these children and all children continue to fight for the opportunity to have their basic needs met. It’s sad to have to even say it.
      Thanks for sharing 🙂

All my pleasure Gilly, and I must say, one can gain a whole lot of knowledge if they decide to blog. I learned something new myself. 🙂 Thanks for visiting and sharing.;)