In Honor of King Kamehameha…

King Kamehameha Day, event, holiday, celebration, statue, Hawaii, Oahu, royalty

–King Kamehameha statue
photo credit: Wikipedia

Cyber traveling is a fun way to discover about state holidays here in the United States.

My blogging sister, Caddo Veil, inspired me over to the state of Hawaii, for their annual June 11, public holiday, King Kamehameha Day. Now, it looks like a word too complicated to pronounce but if you break it up into parts like this: Ka-me-ha-me-ha, and use only short vowel sounds, you will sure to get it right.

This holiday honors Kamehameha, the great because he was the first royalty to unite all the Kingdom of Hawaii. Prior to his smart move, all the islands functioned individually.

Every year there is the big King Kamehameha Day parade with beautiful floats covered with flowers, lots of music, dancers, school bands and of course, parade horses. In Hawaii, the parade horses carry Pau riders, who are women chosen from each Hawaiian island and the horse they ride is covered with flowers in the form of leis.

Pau rider, Princess of Maui, King Kamehameha Day, holiday, celebration, event

Princess of Maui
–Photo credit: Rosa Say

I love any holiday, especially if it means getting a day off from work!

Hawaii polynesian cultural centre, King Kamehameha Day, holiday, celebration, event

Happy King Kamehameha Day!!
–Photo credit: Wikipedia

What public holiday does your state or country celebrate?

14 thoughts on “In Honor of King Kamehameha…

Hey sis, did you send this comment to me? Just checking because it was in my spam box and thought maybe somebody is acting like you and sending things without you knowing…uh, that would be creepy. Let me know…

• Caddo Veil says:

I sent it to you, Sweetie–But there IS something going on with spam, and other comments. For example–I have tried leaving comments today on your blog, and others–and they will NOT post, like “kicking me out” or something. I’m gonna get a complex! Will try commenting “from my blog” (rather than my email)–if that doesn’t work, I’ll contact WP. Seems like every couple weeks it’s some dang thing!!! Arrgghh! Hope you get this! love, Caddo Sis

1. Arindam says:

It’s a really interesting public holiday. I have never heard of something like this before. . Ladies on horses covered with flowers; it’s sounding great. Thanks a lot for sharing this Sunshine. 🙂 Have a great week.

Hi Arindam!! Horses are beautiful to begin with and well, add beautiful flowers and riders surely makes any parade worth seeing. You take the ladies and I’ll take the horses…lol! I will have a great week now that you mentioned it. Thanks for being YOU! 🙂

2. angelswhisper2011 says:

In Holland we’re celebrating the Queen’s birthday on april 30th. It was in fact the late Queen’s birthday, but her daughter, Queen Beatrix, wanted to stand by this day, probable because her birthday is on januari 31th and at that time it’s mostly very cold. It could be another reason I don’t know about.

Everybody will get a day off and there are a lot ceremonies in our land, flea markets, children who are painted and singing for the Queeen, everything is orange, lots of people are also dressed in orange, and the Queen and her family visiting one or two cities in the Netherlands on that special day and playing with the children. This is very nice to see, especially because our Prince Willem-Alexander, the future King, is playing the Old Dutch Game “koekhappen” (bite the cookie) 🙂

This is a wonderful celebration honoring royalty in this time period. I guess my mind thinks royalty only exists in the past and it forgets royalty still exists today. How wonderful and almost seems magical…you know, like in the storybook tales about kings and queens.
      Hmm, you say everything is orange…is that the favorite color of the Queen or a Holland’s national color? Just wondering.
      Thanks for sharing about this holiday, Angelswhisper. I will *cyber trip over to Holland and check out the Queen’s BD festivities…it sounds like so much fun!
      See ya!

I didn’t know that about orange and it being your country’s national color. I love learning about different places…it’s wonderful, no? You also have a great weekend–yipee!! 🙂
        See ya!

Parties, parades and holidays to escape the routine from our usual work schedules are wonderful diversions…wish they came more often. 🙂 That reminds me, I need to come over and visit the German soon…see ya, and thank you for sharing, Philo Mouse. 🙂

3. munchow says:

Fun to learn something new. I have never even heard about a king in Hawaii and less so about King Kamehameha. Thanks for sharing (and by the way sorry for having been absent lately, I just haven’t had time to comment the last couple of weeks).

Yep, Otto, the state of Hawaii a long time ago, was ruled by royalty but now, of course, it’s the modern United States government…:)
      I totally understand your MIA status being a famous world photographer/blogger/human being with a life…hehe, but it’s nice to see you again (at least we know you are alive and well) and thanks for your time and thoughts and your last photo tour journal. I learned a lot from your writings. Thanks! 🙂