Run For The Roses

And it’s run for the roses
As fast as you can
Your fate is delivered
Your moment’s at hand
It’s the chance of a lifetime
In a lifetime of chance
And it’s high time you joined
In the dance
It’s high time you joined
In the dance.

Dan FogelbergRun for the roses

Hey Guy-Gal pals!!

Wanna come along to a special dance?

Listen, it  happens annually on the  first weekend in May in Louisville, Kentucky, United States. It will be fun!

Come on, we gotta start planning because, ohhh my . . .

There’s sooo much to do and this weekend is almost here!!!!

Did you guess what dance I’m talking about?

Yep, it’s really not a dance, but the Kentucky Derby horse race or simply, the Run for the Roses, since the winner receives a blanket of roses and of course, lots and lots of $$.

The contestants are three-year old thoroughbred race horses.

HORSES!

Garland of Roses for the Kentucky Derby, Run for the Roses, event,

“The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports” or

“The Fastest Two Minutes in Sports”

Oh, and for you flower-power lovers, you may think there are only roses at this event, but actually, tulips, lots of them, will be in bloom for your visual delight this year!

Now ladies, we gotta get ready and the look to go for, so I hear, is the sweet Southern Belle look. The big question is:

Should we buy our fancy hat first and then our dress, or, get our dress first, and match our hat to the dress?

Arrgh, the stress . . .

Men, while us ladies are getting prepped, your job is to think vibrant. Get out your key lime, ocean or Bermuda pink slacks and wear it!  The brighter the better.

Think, guys, STAND-OUT-FROM-THE-CROWD,  and go for it!

Handsome, yah?

Kentucky Derby, Run for the Roses, attire, event, May, vibrant, colors, fun

photo source

Okay, I think we are just about ready . . .  ladies?

photo source

and the horse, Take Charge Indy, is ready . . .

photo source

so, let’s GO to the RUN FOR THE ROSES spectacular event!!

Have you a favorite horse you would like to see win the simply charming May 2012 Kentucky Derby?

28 thoughts on “Run For The Roses

1. Nicole says:

Ohhhh I’m homesick for My Old Kentucky Home … the first weekend in May always makes me cry, unless, of course, I’m in The Bluegrass. As much as I would LOVE to be home this weekend, unfortunately, I am not. But, you can bet your fastest horse (tee hee hee) that I’ll be watching. Pssst … I’ve already got my eye on a few wagers for Oaks and The Derby. As for a lady’s hat, it’s always the star of her attire and usually the FIRST item purchased. Go big and bold on the hat, simple and understated everywhere else. I’ve got all my PINK wardrobe accessories ready for Friday – which is Kentucky Oaks Day – when the fillies run for the lilies. This is a great post, I have something similar planned for Friday, May 4 for Oaks on my blog, Three 31.

Best,
    Nicole @ Three 31

Hmmm, Oaks and The Derby eh? I’m glad you eased the stress levels about hat or dress first! Okay, elaborate hat and everything else follows. Gotcha!
      Now, when you say the fillies run for the lilies, does that mean flowers at the end as well? This is all so very interesting!
      I bet it is so beautiful this time of year in Kentucky.
      I’m having computer issues (again) so if I don’t make it over from this link you left Nicole, I will get there. Thanks for the wonderful and informative conversation.

• Nicole says:

Happy Oaks Day, Sunshine!!!!!!! It’s the day prior to the Kentucky Derby (read my post – http://nicoleandkevin.wordpress.com/2012/05/04/fillies-lilies-and-pink/) and Oaks is all about the ladies (and fillies, of course!). Ohhhh I’d give anything, ANYTHING, for an Oaks Lily drink right now. Nom. Nom. Nom. Instead, I’m rocking as much PINK attire that’s legally possible for a Kentucky girl in Texas. My nails are a fabulously ridiculous shade of PINK and match well with the rest of my outfit.

To answer your question, yes, the filly that wins the Kentucky Oaks will receive, amongst other things, a garland of stargazer lilies. As for Kentucky’s beauty, it’s beautiful all year long but ESPECIALLY this time of year! But, I’m just a wee-bit partial.

I’ve enjoyed reading so many other comments from other readers. I’m not ignoring the reality that cruelty to the horses occurs in professional racing, but I am proud of the collaboration between the State of Kentucky and Churchill Downs to place unwanted, or retired, racehorses in loving, caring, and positive environments. There are adoption agencies throughout the state (and world, for that matter) that take care for the horses who are no longer needed/wanted on the racetrack. Sure, there’s room for improvement (as with anything), but it’s getting better with time.

One last thing ….. if you’re going to wear a BIG HAT on Derby Day, keep your dress and accessories very simple. The hat is priority numero-uno!!!!! Heck, you could wear a fabulous hat and sweatpants because everybody’s looking at your head. HAHAHA
        Ohhhh how I wish I was in Kentucky this weekend (sigh), but my heart is there for sure!

Hugs,
        Nicole @ Three 31

• babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin says:

Another KY girl I see…I live in Louisville…and the festivities are so awesome…You just have to be in the area to feel it…I imagine you do miss it here especially at these times…The weather has been great…and maybe the hottest Derby for a long time…Bring on the sundresses and big hats…It’s post time!

• Nicole says:

Hey there, my mom and her family are all native Louisville-ians (is that a word?!) and I went to Bellarmine for a year. I consider Louisville my second home, as I was born and raised in a small country town in western Kentucky. I can’t wear my hat to school (dress code!) but I have as much PINK on today that I can legally get away with in Texas. These people are looking at me like I’m loco (which I am – crazy for KY!). FUN TIMES!!!!!

Oh no, never sweatpants . . . what a way to kill the look! LOL!
        I didn’t know about the Kentucky Oaks prior to the main event and gosh, isn’t it gorgeous? I mean, who can resist all the pink, the lilies and the Oaks Lily drink! I’m going to have to try it!
        Haha, I love how you described your ‘ridiculous shade of PINK’ nails! Fab!!!
        Well, got my big hat on and oops, they really should have made the shoes, high heels of course, the #1 priority! Hehe…
        I totally enjoyed your conversation Nicole! Here’s to your horse . . . power energy to win! 🙂

Oh Sunshine, you make me almost really want to go!! Since we’re only dreamin’, right?–I think I’ll pick out my hat first. I’d like it to be so BIG and audacious that no one will notice my dress (and fat short body)! See you there–hey, someone will come pick me up, right? Since I don’t drive? Love you, sis Caddo

We be riding limo style sis, of course, *wink-wink* and good idea about a nice fancy hat! A lovely southern belle you’d be too Caddo! Okay, see ya in a bit . . . lol!! 🙂

I hear from Nicole that the hat mtlawleyshire is the star attire–so get out the biggest and boldest one ya got!
      See ya at the races!! 🙂

3. orples says:

I used to be into horse racing until I found out how cruel the sport is behind the scenes and what happens to some of the horses that are not ‘moneymakers’. Racing is all about the money, so I avoid it. It really is sad, too, because it is one sport that doesn’t pollute our planet. However, I can not condone the killing of newborn foals to steal their mothers to nurse ‘might be winners’ whose own mother’s have died. To top it off, I read that some of those newborn foals are skinned alive so their fresh young hide will produce softer leather. How sick is that? Or how many fine animals end up as dog food because they are not winners. Sorry to rain on the parade, here. 😦 On a more positive note, the horses you have pictured here are lovely. 🙂

As I was reading on and writing up for this post, in the back of my mind I thought there would be some tragic thing going on as in most money making activities. I won’t mention dog racing then. I once worked for a vet who had a few many greyhounds put down by their owners because as you said, they couldn’t race to make money. I’m glad we have folks adopting these dogs now instead of putting them down.
      Maybe in time–probably a very long time–conditions will improve if the trainers, jockeys and animal lovers speak up and unite for a change.
      In the meantime, I think I’ll follow the social and fashion event it has become and hopefully find ways to help get better conditions for the horses involved. Thanks Orples for bringing the other side of the coin out in the open–only way change happens is with knowledge. 🙂

4. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin says:

I posted my version of the Derby Fascinator Hat by way of my blog about two weeks ago…Made by yours truly…Since I live here in Louisville…it’s the greatest place to be at this time of year…Today was the Pegasus Parade…be sure and read my post…It will get you more excited!

I bet it is gorgeous over in Kentucky this time of year and yes, as soon as I resolve my computer issues (again), I will read on your Derby hat post. I appreciate you sharing and yes, I’m so excited about this event!! 🙂

5. island traveler says:

Sounds like an exciting and fun event. And the suit colors…just bright and sunny. A reflection of a jubilant spirit. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post! have a blessed day.

Whenever there are celebrities and $$, it’s not hard to get caught up in the excitement of it all . . . let’s pray that all the contestants finish with no major injuries and the horses that are put out to pasture, find loving homes.
      I’m happy you found a bright and sunny suit Island Traveler . . . a matching pair for you and your cute little son! 😉

6. angelswhisper2011 says:

Sunshine, I’m not for racing of horses or other kind of animals. I think it’s cruel. But I love the song and horses and the funny pictures of the colorful guys as well as your writing 🙂

Well Angelswhisper, we can just enjoy the social aspect of this and get on our finest hat and dress! Oh yah! Cheers and have a great weekend!! 🙂 xoxo

7. Arindam says:

It looks like like, it must be an intresting & fun event. I hope you are going to have a great time there. Wish to attend this event oneday. 🙂